2 points or only 1 with airlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pukka

This whole Amex rewards system is really starting to irritate me. I just want a simple system & it's anything but.

I booked some reward flights with SAL BNE to HKT & back; because of availability I did it in 2 stages. Now when I check the points received for paying airline surcharges & taxes I received 2 per $ for the BNE to HKT leg (SAL Australia) & 1 pt per $ HKT to BNE (SAL Thailand)

What's going on both were booked on the same website !!! There's something on the website T&C'S about purchases only available for additional points if the transactions were made in Australia. Well even though I paid in Thb for the return leg I was sitting in the Gold Coast.

Amex is rapidly moving to the too hard basket.

Do I think I should ring up for clarification YES can I be bothered when I've been at work all day NO

Anyone else noticed this or is it just me. Maybe I should be pleased they didn't give me 0.5pts because it was a tax :(

If your transaction was in Thb shouldn't you receive 2 points per $ anyway, regardless of what the purchase was for? (2 points per $ on overseas transactions.)

If your transaction was in Thb shouldn't you receive 2 points per $ anyway, regardless of what the purchase was for? (2 points per $ on overseas transactions.)

Who knows I only got 1 anyway. the other thing that irritated me was that it was $2147.96 and I got 2147 points I know it's only a point and individually it means nothing but to quote Wayne Swan they are clipping the ticket lol & collectively they are saving a lot of points

I must be missing something here, or you guys are talking about a different card to those I have, but which card gives you 2 points per $1 on overseas transactions?

I must be missing something here, or you guys are talking about a different card to those I have, but which card gives you 2 points per $1 on overseas transactions?

I'm not sure about The Amex I thought it was the same abroad as in Au I generally use the Citibank signature Select abroad which gives a way better exchange rate than Amex & 5pts per $. In this case I just got billed in Thb from the SAL website.

I think the plat reserve and plat charge gets 2 points per $1 spent overseas...

You certainly should get the points for OS purchases, and I think Amex has designed it that way so that essentially all travel will get 2 points - if you book through a travel agent or airline etc in Australia you will get 2 points (this is based on the merchant code of the company you are buying from) and when you book through an OS travel website or a hotel directly and pay in foreign currency it is also 2 points. This greatly simplifies the program in this regard...

As noted previously, it would appear that Amex are having some teething problems with points posting under this new regime. I'd suggest that before you get too deflated etc that you call them and discuss as you are entitled to the points.

Also worth noting that Amex has been rounding down the points earn for quite a long time... It used to be really bad with 1.5 points as they would round down for the first point and then you would get half of that again...

eg 8.99 would get you 8 points plus 4 points, rather than 9 plus 4.5 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back