Your recommended local (or O/S) currency exchange agencies / stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurora

Intern
I've just returned from two weeks overseas, and while I was able to go to "my guy" here in Brisbane before I left, I found myself in the US googling for local fx traders with reasonable recommendations. I'm interested to know if any AFFers have hot tips on their preferred traders in Australia or O/S - who knows, maybe this thread can become a useful resource (apologies if there's a similar thread somewhere else - a quick search didn't reveal one).

I'll start...

Brisbane
Name: Travel Money Oz (Nationwide Foreign Exchange)
Address: Shop 45, Queens Plaza Shopping Centre, 149 Adelaide Street Brisbane
Reason for recommendation: No fees or commissions! Seems to have very reasonable rates, at least for the currencies I've purchased (USD, EUR, GBP, IDR). Not so great when buying back MXP, but that's probably not surprising in Brisbane! Friendly staff, long opening hours (7pm on a Monday night), central location. My guy :).

San Francisco
Name: Pacific Foreign Exchange
Address: 533 Sutter Street, San Francisco (near the corner of Sutter & Powell)
Reason for recommendation: Found this guy through said google search, and as he was just down the road from my hotel I dropped by. Again, no fees or commissions, and a really good rate on converting USD to MXP (11.3, which was just a little less than the xe.com market rate). Reasonably friendly, and very very convenient location (1 block from Union Square).

Who are your favourites?

Worldwide: 28 degrees and Citi cards.
You generally cannot beat these.

Perth:
UAE exchange.
Best rates I've found in Perth. I'd never use them myself, as I change money in SIN if I truly need cash.

SIN: Mustafa has online rates so you can go to any small fx shop and try to get Mustafa rates or better. Avoid those in big malls and those with long queues. Unlike Chinese restaurants, people in SIN tend to queue for the worst rates.
I like Lucky Plaza if I'm in Orchard, or Chinatown if near there. Mustafa itself is in Little India.

I have used KVB Kunlun (Chinese I think) a few times for USD and Yen cash. Beat the banks by a couple of cents/dollar each time.
I think thay only have SYD and MEL offices. Do a google for their rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back