Wizard Clear & NAB Gold Visa Card Rejection & Additional Cardholder Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Hey guys

I am heading to USA in August for 6 weeks by myself and am looking for some Credit Card advice from the pros.

I recently bought my return ticket for $900 through V Australia on a Commonwealth Bank Low Rate VISA card which has a limit of $500 (in which I preloaded another $500 on top of it to buy the ticket).

After buying the ticket I found out about the Wizard Clear Advantage Card and the NAB Gold VISA Card and all their perks overseas.

I applied for a Wizard Card but got denied. I am a 27 year old self employed freelancer in the start up phase who has lived in two different places over the past two years and haven't worked a full time job for a year.

I have just sent off to get my credit file rating to look into the situation but in the meantime I was wondering if my mother applied for a Wizard Clear or NAB Gold VIsa and put me down as an additional cardholder, would I have problems using this overseas and would I be covered in regards to Travel Insurance on the NAB card?

I will have some cash of my own but I don't want to use my current cards O/S and don't want to leave this till last minute to see if I get approved or denied again.

If anyone has any info on this before I do the bank ring around I would love some advice.

Thanks

Andy

Hey guys

I am heading to USA in August for 6 weeks by myself and am looking for some Credit Card advice from the pros.

I recently bought my return ticket for $900 through V Australia on a Commonwealth Bank Low Rate VISA card which has a limit of $500 (in which I preloaded another $500 on top of it to buy the ticket).

After buying the ticket I found out about the Wizard Clear Advantage Card and the NAB Gold VISA Card and all their perks overseas.

I applied for a Wizard Card but got denied. I am a 27 year old self employed freelancer in the start up phase who has lived in two different places over the past two years and haven't worked a full time job for a year.

I have just sent off to get my credit file rating to look into the situation but in the meantime I was wondering if my mother applied for a Wizard Clear or NAB Gold VIsa and put me down as an additional cardholder, would I have problems using this overseas and would I be covered in regards to Travel Insurance on the NAB card?

I will have some cash of my own but I don't want to use my current cards O/S and don't want to leave this till last minute to see if I get approved or denied again.

If anyone has any info on this before I do the bank ring around I would love some advice.

Thanks

Andy

I would go for NAB visa gold debit card, if you use that card to pay for your airline ticket, then get complimentary travel insurance. It also has no forex conversion fee when you use in o/s + no ATM fees either. The best thing for that is just a debit card which means you don't need to do an application as credit card, just go to NAB branch and apply for a gold banking account. However, that account comes with $10 monthly fee, but as long as you deposit $5000 in, they will waive the fee for you.

I would go for NAB visa gold debit card, if you use that card to pay for your airline ticket, then get complimentary travel insurance. It also has no forex conversion fee when you use in o/s + no ATM fees either. The best thing for that is just a debit card which means you don't need to do an application as credit card, just go to NAB branch and apply for a gold banking account. However, that account comes with $10 monthly fee, but as long as you deposit $5000 in, they will waive the fee for you.

Oh ok great thanks for that...I thought it was only a credit card but now I see it comes as a debit card aswell.

I have already bought my plane ticket so I guess I am not covered by the insurance...do you know of any other way I could get the insurance at all if I purchase accomodation and transport to the same amount as my ticket or something like that?

Also still interested in getting the Wizard card in my mums name as a backup so if anyone know about the additional cardholder stuff that would be great.

I suggest buying travel insurance and not worrying about whether or not you can get some cover from a CC.

To paraphrase someone, you're too poor to buy rubbish, buy quality once. Travel insurance is the same, you don't want to find out that there are dozens of exclusions when you're potentially dying somewhere and they are waiting for approval from your insurance company.

You do not want to have any hassles with travel insurance in the USA, a quick approval in an emergency will pay for itself.

I always purchase a quality policy and it certainly paid off when I was stuck in BKK in 2008 and received phone (local call) approval of my claim whilst waiting six days for a flight home. DFAT said to me that I was the only person they heard of in the first few days who had been told by their insurance company that they would be paid.

Hope you never need it but if you do...

Last edited:
I suggest buying travel insurance and not worrying about whether or not you can get some cover from a CC.

To paraphrase someone, you're too poor to buy rubbish, buy quality once. Travel insurance is the same, you don't want to find out that there are dozens of exclusions when you're potentially dying somewhere and they are waiting for approval from your insurance company.

You do not want to have any hassles with travel insurance in the USA, a quick approval in an emergency will pay for itself.

I always purchase a quality policy and it certainly paid off when I was stuck in BKK in 2008 and received phone (local call) approval of my claim whilst waiting six days for a flight home. DFAT said to me that I was the only person they heard of in the first few days who had been told by their insurance company that they would be paid.

Hope you never need it but if you do...

Thanks for the advice Hvr

I am all set with the Card situation now and will look into Travel Insurance as I have only ever thought about using the insurance that comes with the Credit Card.

Thanks for the advice Hvr

I am all set with the Card situation now and will look into Travel Insurance as I have only ever thought about using the insurance that comes with the Credit Card.

A free insurance from credit card is just a bonus, and most of them applies to Gold & Platinum cards only, and conditions are very strict. To search around and find a good travel insurance will save you a lot of hassles. Can't figure out why you still like to be an additional card holder from wizard which under your mum's account, NAB card provides same functions as Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back