Will cancelling my Citibank Signature card also cancel my Priority Pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulST

Established Member
Good afternoon all, I've looked through the T+Cs that I can find and can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I've got a Citibank Signature card which is coming up for it's annual fee in 3 months so I'm keen to cancel it. Because i've only just applied for the Priority Pass, through citibank, two months ago the expiry date for that is Jan 2018. Now I need the priority pass membership to survive quite a long layover in AUH in October but I'm concerned that if I cancel the Citibank signature card in July, that might somehow cancel my Priority Pass membership. Is this true?

The lack of information online suggests to me I should be fine as the priority pass membership seems to be a seperate thing, but I don't want to find out my PP is null and void at 2350 when I land into AUH. :)

Many thanks!

Oh, that's not the answer I was looking for. :( I might have to ring them and bluff my way into them waiving the annual fee.

As others suggest it will instantly cancel your PP card. This is because Citibank pays per entry to lounges which accept PP as payment. The expiry on the card has no bearing on anything except in the PP system.

Additionally, most lounges of this nature will only allow you to hang around for 3 hours, so if you have a long layover, be prepared for this restriction.

As others suggest it will instantly cancel your PP card. This is because Citibank pays per entry to lounges which accept PP as payment. The expiry on the card has no bearing on anything except in the PP system.

Additionally, most lounges of this nature will only allow you to hang around for 3 hours, so if you have a long layover, be prepared for this restriction.

How do they track you down to kick you out after the time limit?

Oh, that's not the answer I was looking for. :( I might have to ring them and bluff my way into them waiving the annual fee.

All i I could squeeze out of them in January was a $50 reduction in annual fee to $150.
Spend approx 95k per year.

How do they track you down to kick you out after the time limit?

While I haven't come across this being enforced, in some third party reports (not trip reports or forums), I've heard:
  • The receptionists have a good memory, so they'll come searching for you and kindly ask you to leave, or they will add a charge to your account.
  • They will check your boarding pass on entry; if your scheduled departure isn't within 3 hours (possibly 2 hours) from when you enter, you'll be denied entry.

I've heard that in some cases, the lounge staff don't care, so you can usually stay as long as you want. This is more likely when the lounge isn't full, and/or the lounge is a third party lounge and not one operated by an airline (especially an airline who is based or hubbed at that airport).

Thanks for the replies. Ah well, it looks like I'm going to be stuck out in the terminal as its certainly not a card worth paying the annual fee for.

Just a question regarding Priority Pass. If I already have Priority Pass Membership through my Citi Signature card and just about to receive my Westpac Black card which also comes with Priority Pass Membership and 2 visits a year. Do I get two different PP cards?

Do I get two different PP cards?

Yes. I have two, one with Citi (2 visits, no guests) and one with BOQS (uncapped + guest). I only keep the Citi one as a backup as it's a fee free card.

n

Mrs D had two cc's with a PP each.
PP wrote to her and cancelled one account - they both had the same T&Cs so no big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back