Which tour for Egypt

Pushka

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Just looking for input about shore excursions for Luxor, on an ocean cruise in May. I'm not looking for opinions as to whether this is the best way to see Egypt, we know it isn't but currently the only option we have. So

1. Visit what many believe to be the largest temple ever built, Luxor’s ancient Temple of Karnak complex.
Drive for 3.5 hours with your guide on a desert road to Luxor, the ancient city along the mighty Nile River. At the spectacular Temple of Amun, marvel at the Great Hypostyle Hall, a forest of 140 ancient columns that once supported a towering ceiling. This massive complex, embellished over centuries by every major pharaoh, could fit the equivalent of ten cathedrals within its walls. Wander among its well-preserved temples, chapels, pylons and other buildings, pausing to gaze up at the 97-foot-tall Obelisk of Queen Hatshepsut, remarkably carved from a single piece of pink granite. Walking deep into the complex, you will arrive at the sacred lake, where ceremonial boats took part in the worship of the god Amun. You will enjoy lunch at an elegant hotel before returning to your ship. This one is free

2. Travel to Luxor, site of ancient Thebes, to see the Temple of Karnak and the amazing Valley of the Kings tombs. Journey overland for about 3.5 hours, arriving at this city that straddles the Nile and commencing your exploration at the Karnak temple complex. Dating back to about 2050 BC, it was the largest and most important sanctuary of ancient Egypt. Today it is strewn with temples, pylons, obelisks and the great Hypostyle Hall, with 16 rows of 134 columns. After, enjoy lunch at a deluxe hotel before riding to the Nile’s west bank and the Valley of the Kings, home to the tombs of 63 Egyptian pharaohs. Among the ones you will see is that of Tutankhamen, the most famous archaeological discovery of the last century. Stop to see the Colossi of Memnon, two giant twin statues of Amenhotep III, before traveling back to your ship. This one is $296 pp

3. Travel to the Nile Valley and Luxor, formerly Thebes, to explore Egypt’s two most important temples: Karnak and Luxor. The overland journey takes 3.5 hours; upon arrival, learn about Thebes at the Luxor Museum, home to priceless pottery, jewelry and ceremonial objects. After lunch at a local restaurant, explore the massive temple complex of Karnak. Dating back to about 2050 BC, it is strewn with temples, pylons, obelisks, a Sacred Lake and the great Hypostyle Hall, with 134 columns. Karnak was once linked to Luxor Temple by a grand avenue of sphinxes. Marvel at some of these half-lion, half-human statues as you approach Luxor Temple, and admire the mosque that now dominates the first court once inside. Dating to the late Roman era, it was built atop earlier Christian basilicas—indicating that Luxor has been used continuously as a place of worship for about 35 centuries. Ride back to your ship after your unforgettable journey. This one is also $296 pp.

4. Explore Karnak and Gain Exclusive Entry to Two Hidden Tombs
Discover the massive Karnak temple complex, then sail across the Nile for exclusive access to two amazing tombs. Egypt’s pharaohs and their wives are buried in the Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens. Travel overland for about 3.5 hours to Luxor and visit Karnak, a 4,000-year-old complex of temples, pylons, obelisks and the great Hypostyle Hall, with 16 rows of 134 columns. Afterward, board a traditional dahabeya sailboat and enjoy lunch as we cross the Nile to the Valley of the Queens and Valley of the Kings, where Egypt’s pharaohs built great mortuary temples. Marvel at the tomb of Queen Nefertari, opening exclusively for us and covered in exquisite hieroglyphics. Next, enjoy another private viewing at the 446-foot-long Tomb of Seti I, whose 11 chambers are connected by a tunnel. See the nearby tomb of King Tut and perhaps have time to explore further before we travel back to your ship. This one is around $1000 pp. 😳

Likely 2 and 3 seem best options but do they offer more than 1.

It will be hot. We aren't a fan of the sit down lunches but reports suggest they are a nice way to recover from the heat at midday. Quite like the sound of the one on the river.

For me, 2 is the best, although if I'd never been to Egypt before, and had the $$$, it would have to be 4. (That said, on my recent tour the tomb of Nefertari wasn't even mentioned, which surprised me at the time, but there was plenty of other stuff!!).

* Not 1 - I don't think you can go to Luxor and not go to the Valley of the Kings. I suspect those on this tour will disembark and set off last and maybe return first.

* Not 3 - Luxor museum a waste of valuable time. Visit the British Museum 🤣

* 4 - this will be rushed, unless they leave at 4am, which is a distinct possibility (our day at the Valley starting from Luxor started at 5 or 6am, can't recall). To see both Nefertari and Seti I would be amazing, esp if they really are 'private tours' (ie everyone else out, which I don't think they would be, at least for Seti)

* 2 "Among the ones you will see is that of Tutankhamen..." I wonder if that means "see the inside ..." ? Because he died young, Tutankhamen's tomb is small and not very flash. All entry tickets to the Valley include entry to 3 tombs (show ticket at the entrance to each), but Seti I, Tutankhamen and a couple of others are extra. Seti I recall was quite expensive - maybe $50 - but it is the best in the Valley. You MAY have the opportunity to buy your own Set I ticket at the main gate. You'll get out of the bus to go through the main gate, past the ticket booths on the right and then into and through the Visitor's Centre and then you get on 12 person golf buggies shuttles for a 5 min trip up the hill to the start of the tomb walk. They shouldn't mind if you separate from the group at the visitor centre point, if buying a Seti ticket takes more than a few minutes (it didn't when we were there).

I assume they will just say "you can visit 3 tombs, except X, Y and Z, off you go, be back in an hour ..." I recommend buying a Seti I ticket, seeing that first, and then whatever others you have time for. Fortunately the tombs of various Ramses are some of the 'best of the rest' and are near the start of the tomb walk, so after Seti, its downhill and they are on your way!

Red Sea off Safaga in 1994!!

Egypt 1994-66.jpg

Egypt 1994-111.jpg

And the road to Safaga out of Luxor then (I'm sure its improved :)

Egypt 1994-63.jpg

For me, 2 is the best, although if I'd never been to Egypt before, and had the $$$, it would have to be 4. (That said, on my recent tour the tomb of Nefertari wasn't even mentioned, which surprised me at the time, but there was plenty of other stuff!!).

* Not 1 - I don't think you can go to Luxor and not go to the Valley of the Kings. I suspect those on this tour will disembark and set off last and maybe return first.

* Not 3 - Luxor museum a waste of valuable time. Visit the British Museum 🤣

* 4 - this will be rushed, unless they leave at 4am, which is a distinct possibility (our day at the Valley starting from Luxor started at 5 or 6am, can't recall). To see both Nefertari and Seti I would be amazing, esp if they really are 'private tours' (ie everyone else out, which I don't think they would be, at least for Seti)

* 2 "Among the ones you will see is that of Tutankhamen..." I wonder if that means "see the inside ..." ? Because he died young, Tutankhamen's tomb is small and not very flash. All entry tickets to the Valley include entry to 3 tombs (show ticket at the entrance to each), but Seti I, Tutankhamen and a couple of others are extra. Seti I recall was quite expensive - maybe $50 - but it is the best in the Valley. You MAY have the opportunity to buy your own Set I ticket at the main gate. You'll get out of the bus to go through the main gate, past the ticket booths on the right and then into and through the Visitor's Centre and then you get on 12 person golf buggies shuttles for a 5 min trip up the hill to the start of the tomb walk. They shouldn't mind if you separate from the group at the visitor centre point, if buying a Seti ticket takes more than a few minutes (it didn't when we were there).

I assume they will just say "you can visit 3 tombs, except X, Y and Z, off you go, be back in an hour ..." I recommend buying a Seti I ticket, seeing that first, and then whatever others you have time for. Fortunately the tombs of various Ramses are some of the 'best of the rest' and are near the start of the tomb walk, so after Seti, its downhill and they are on your way!

Red Sea off Safaga in 1994!!

View attachment 313383

View attachment 313384

And the road to Safaga out of Luxor then (I'm sure its improved :)

View attachment 313385
Thanks was hoping you'd chime in. They only allow 10 people at a time to see Nefetari and only for 10 minutes. All admission tickets are included so that includes SETI as it's mentioned.
Post automatically merged:

What? all the good Egyptology relics are outside Egypt?
Yep.

Im hoping the Egyptian Museum in Cairo May have opened in time for us in May. Oh. See what happened there? 😂

Last edited:
@RooFlyer Next Port

Port Said. Again another hike to Cairo from Port. Several options. Are there two Museums? Egyptian Museum and Museum of Antiquities?

1. $228. 14 hours
Sakkara, Memphis and the Great Pyramids of Giza -- Explore enchanting Egypt by visiting some of its most historically significant sites. You will depart Port Said and travel to Cairo, where you will visit Sakkara. A vast, ancient burial ground, Sakkara features numerous pyramids, but is best known for the Step Pyramid of King Djoser—the oldest known of Egypt's 97 pyramids, built by Imhotep in 3100 BC. Next, you will continue to Memphis—the capital of ancient Egypt, and an important center during much of Egyptian history. Here, you can explore what remains of the original white-walled city, and view the statues of Ramses II. Then, after enjoying lunch at a local hotel, you will visit the Great Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx. One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, constructed by the ancient Egyptians around 2500 BC, it remains one of the most mesmerizing monuments in the world today.

2. $215. 14 hours
Cairo and Cruising on the Nile -- Delve into Egypt’s rich history, and experience the allure of its great monuments. Travel comfortably by motor coach to Cairo, where you will visit the Egyptian Museum—home to the world's most important collection of Egyptian antiquities. Here, you can view thousands of statues, jewels and artifacts from nearly every period of ancient Egypt, as well as the treasure of King Tutankhamen—the boy pharaoh who ruled Egypt for nine years—and his godlike golden mask. Following your visit, board your river cruise boat to enjoy a buffet lunch and an Egyptian belly dance performance while cruising the Nile. After lunch, continue to the most famous of Egypt’s attractions: the Great Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx. These monumental structures are thought to have been constructed by the ancient Egyptians around 2500 BC, and the largest of these pyramids is listed as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

3. $174. 13 hours.
Egypt’s Islamic Heritage -- Explore the Medieval Islamic heritage of Cairo—the largest city in the Arab world. Embark on a scenic desert drive by motor coach to Egypt’s capital. Founded by the Fatimids in the 10th century, Cairo represents the core of Islamic Egypt. Explore the medieval citadel of Salah el-Din, built to protect the city from crusaders, and admire the Ottoman-era Mohammed Ali Mosque. Continue your journey and take in the city’s Christian and Jewish heritage as you visit the Hanging Church and the Ben Ezra Synagogue. Enjoy lunch before heading to Muizz Street, one of the oldest districts in Cairo and home to some of the finest examples of Islamic architecture, superbly reflected in the mosques and monuments that line the street. Explore Khan el-Khalili, the bustling old souk where locals have been trading their wares since medieval times.

4. $225. 13 hours. (Preferred one at this stage)
Ancient Egyptian Civilization -- Visit the legendary sights of ancient Egypt and learn about its intriguing culture. The cradle of one of the earliest advanced civilizations in the world, Egypt’s astonishing feats are still admired today. Embark on a scenic desert drive by motor coach to Cairo. Visit the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities; established in 1897, it is celebrated for its comprehensive collection of ancient Egyptian artifacts. Wander through nearly 4,000 years of history and step inside the Royal Mummies Hall, which houses the most important collection of mummified ancient Egyptian royalty in the world. Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant, then drive to a plateau for a memorable view of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Built in the 26th century BC, the pyramids are the only one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World that still exists today. Marvel at the enigmatic Sphinx, with its lion body and human head. Enjoy time for shopping before returning to your ship.

5. Included. Free. 11 hours.
Icons of the Giza Plateau -- Marvel at Egypt’s most magnificent and mysterious landmarks, the Great Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx. To begin this exciting excursion, you will journey 3 hours with your guide via the desert road to Cairo, then pause for lunch near the iconic site. After, continue to the Giza Plateau to walk in the shadow of one of the world’s most astonishing complexes. The only remaining monuments of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, it is believed this trio of pyramids was built to serve as royal tombs for Khufu, his son Khafre and his grandson Menkaure so that their mummified bodies could be preserved for eternity. During your visit, you will also view the legendary Sphinx, carved from solid rock around 2650 BC. This enigmatic statue may have been carved as a monument to the sun god. Steeped in legend and superstition, it faces east to greet the rising sun.

Are there two Museums? Egyptian Museum and Museum of Antiquities?

As far as I can tell, these are the same thing - the rose coloured one in downtown Cairo. It will be superseded by the Grand Egyptian Museum GEM out at the pyramids, whenever that opens. This is a good site keeping track of it. Grand Egyptian Museum – Estimated opening: 2023

Itinerary: Wander through nearly 4,000 years of history and step inside the Royal Mummies Hall, which houses the most important collection of mummified ancient Egyptian royalty in the world.

This is out of date. The Royal Mummies have been transferred to another, new museum, National Museum of Egyptian Civilisation NMEC NMEC - National Museum of Egyptian Civilization This is not downtown - nor near the pyramids. If they respond to communications, ask the cruise about this. We visited the Egyptian Museum and its pretty dry (lots of sarcophaguses, statues, carvings etc etc) BUT still had the Tutankhamun exhibition, which is the absolute highlight. I visited the NEM separately, and the Royal Mummies gallery was fantastic. Most of the mummies are unwrapped, so not just a bunch of linen bandages. Note Tutankhamun's mummy is in his tomb in the Valley of the Kings!!

Tour 1 A good serviceable tour; Saqqara (note spelling!!) is the site of the very first pyramids.

Tour 2 I'd avoid this one at this stage. The cruise on the Nile and belly dancing would not be a highlight. If the GEM is open, and the Egyptian Museum closed, then the schedule will be screwed or the Nile cruise cancelled and everything will be out at the Pyramids. Without the cruise, and with the GEM, I'd go for this one.

Tour 3 A good tour if your interest is Islamic and Coptic Christian structures etc. I did much of this my myself after my tour. But you couldn't miss the pyramids if you go to Cairo!!

Tour 4 Again if the GEM is open, then it will be that, and not Museum of Egyptian Antiquities downtown. But neither house the Royal Mummies anymore but will have Tutankhamun's treasures. If it was me, I'd prefer more time at the pyramids and no shopping ...

Tour 5 I note this says "walk in the shadow ...". I wonder if this means you will have a walk around the Pyramids Vs the other tours, just a couple of coach stops at view points?

Tricky one due to the museum uncertainty. Yes, 4 probably, but if you can, ask them:

* Do they realise the Royal Mummies are at the separate NMEC (& out of the way) and what happens in tour 2 if the GEM is open? They shouldn't go out the the GEM at the pyramids first, come into town for the Nile cruise and lunch then back out to the pyramids. Downtown to the pyramids is a good 30-45 mins.

* Ask how many stops around the pyramid sphynx complex are included in each of tours 2, 4 and 5 and which ones include a walk around? For me, ideally one at the pyramids and one at the sphynx.

As you say, its going to be hot, so a walk around may not be top choice, but just stops and views might be a bit disappointing in retrospect.

So this morning was a big one. 67 days until our cruise AND AT LAST us pax in steerage could book our excursions. At 12 noon PST, or 6.30 am SA time.

Now, steerage consists of about 2/3 of the ship. I tell ya, it was Qantas award seat release V2. It was a cluster. And which was made worse because in the days prior we could see careful selections selling out.

So I started looking at independent shore excursions which is a bit risky knowing the distances needed to be covered (7 hours driving in a day)

But worst was that having decided to bite the bullet and do this excursion:

Valley of the Kings and Queens - $1000 pp
Explore Karnak and Gain Exclusive Entry to Two Hidden Tombs
Discover the massive Karnak temple complex, then sail across the Nile for exclusive access to two amazing tombs. Egypt’s pharaohs and their wives are buried in the Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens. Travel overland for about 3.5 hours to Luxor and visit Karnak, a 4,000-year-old complex of temples, pylons, obelisks and the great Hypostyle Hall, with 16 rows of 134 columns. Afterward, board a traditional dahabeya sailboat and enjoy lunch as we cross the Nile to the Valley of the Queens and Valley of the Kings, where Egypt’s pharaohs built great mortuary temples. Marvel at the tomb of Queen Nefertari, opening exclusively for us and covered in exquisite hieroglyphics. Next, enjoy another private viewing at the 446-foot-long Tomb of Seti I, whose 11 chambers are connected by a tunnel. See the nearby tomb of King Tut and perhaps have time to explore further before we travel back to your ship. It turns out that the tickets just to get into all these chambers comes to around $400 so price is somewhat understandable.

But It was SOLD out at Suite level. 😳

So on CC roll call I started several private shore Excursions as follows

1. Petra. All day trip from Aqaba, group size 16

2 Cairo. A bespoke one that is just two of us and a full day going to Giza Plateau (Pyramids, Sphinx, etc), a Nile cruise on a Felucaa and a guided trip through the Bazaar. Decided not to go to the Egyptian museum

3 Haifa. An overnighter. A full day in Bethlehem, Jerusalem and Western Wall (on Shabbat though) and a full day to Nazareth and Sea of Galliee.

4. Luxor - but could not get anyone to take us to the Valley of the Queens - ie the best tomb being Nefertari which has very exclusive access. Oh well.

5. Salalah - we booked a trip through Tours by locals to see the beautiful east coast.

Both days in Haifa have been fully booked (16 people) from the Cruise Critic roll call. So I get a free trip being The Host 😂

Then, last week suddenly the prize excursion showed as being available again. Still could not book. Viking had put on another bus! Obsessively checking every day as others who'd missed out earlier could now book.

Of course I was awake well before 6.30 even though we'd had a late dinner the night before. This was the day I'd been planning for months since we booked the cruise.

At 6.30am on the dot, we could book. Put the prized excursion into the shopping basket and knew from others that you have to immediately pay to secure it, and not pfaff around booking others. And we got it! Woot!

Then we had to book the rest that we wanted. 21 day cruise. So many ports.

Next up, Dhow cruise in Muscat, in the afternoon as we want to do an included tour to the Mosque and Market and Sultans palace in the morning. Included tours are free ones. Booked both. Yeah.

Mumbai. Where we embark. We will have spent a few days here prior but booked the included bus tour for 3 hours just because I could.

Saudi Arabia. Two included tours only. Booked Mr on a general tour of Jeddah and me on an exclusive behind the scenes Womens only tour. Yeah right.

Sharm el Sheik. The snorkeling trip was booked up before we could book so we just booked a beach break one at Sharm where we can snorkel of the beach. All of Sharms excursions are now completely booked out after two hours this morning. Go figure.

So all excursions now confirmed. Received the invoice later for the excursion and Viking gave us $400 discount as well! bargain.

Starting today to hear stories on CC stating they'd missed out on their purchases as they had put them into the basket but not paid for them.

As an aside I expect Israel will get cancelled. There's a world cruise porting in Haifa a couple of weeks prior in April. Will be following what happens there. Porting in Haifa as it's further from missiles that might land in Ashdod 😳

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Wow! Things have changed in Egypt. I was there twice in 2003 and 2004. Queen Nefertari’s tomb was kinda ‘open’ back then… well… if your tour guide ‘paid’ the right person :) We went with a private guide who seemed to know everyone.

For a flavour and taste of Egypt it’s hard to go wrong. The pyramids are a ‘must’, even better if you can go inside one. The temples… fascinating but one is enough if you are pressed for time. The museums… all fascinating, but again one is enough if you are tight on time,

Didn’t explore Islamic Cairo.

You’ll have fun no matter which options you end up with :)

Wow! Things have changed in Egypt. I was there twice in 2003 and 2004. Queen Nefertari’s tomb was kinda ‘open’ back then… well… if your tour guide ‘paid’ the right person :) We went with a private guide who seemed to know everyone.

For a flavour and taste of Egypt it’s hard to go wrong. The pyramids are a ‘must’, even better if you can go inside one. The temples… fascinating but one is enough if you are pressed for time. The museums… all fascinating, but again one is enough if you are tight on time,

Didn’t explore Islamic Cairo.

You’ll have fun no matter which options you end up with :)
We looked at the YouTube videos of entering the pyramids. Not for us 😳. And it will be very very hot. One guy who was around mid thirties and fit who uploaded to YouTube was breathing very heavily and dripping in sweat during his exploration. And wasn't able to walk straight but was half bent. Nup.

Seti tomb has only just reopened. Nefertari has a strict 10 person per visit and only for 10 minutes a time. It looks beautiful though.

We looked at the YouTube videos of entering the pyramids. Not for us 😳. And it will be very very hot. One guy who was around mid thirties and fit who uploaded to YouTube was breathing very heavily and dripping in sweat during his exploration. And wasn't able to walk straight but was half bent. Nup.

Seti tomb has only just reopened. Nefertari has a strict 10 person per visit and only for 10 minutes a time. It looks beautiful though.
Oh yeah… you have to double over and it is a little hot inside! But once you reach the main burial chamber there is a bit of relief.

The thing about the pyramids is that no matter how much anyone builds them up… bigger taller and better than you could imagine… they *still* manage to surpass your expectations!

Oh yeah… you have to double over and it is a little hot inside! But once you reach the main burial chamber there is a bit of relief.

The thing about the pyramids is that no matter how much anyone builds them up… bigger taller and better than you could imagine… they *still* manage to surpass your expectations!
Cannot wait. Four years in the planning. Covid, I'm looking at you!

Good call. I didn't last very long walking into the pyramids

Good call. I didn't last very long walking into the pyramids
Is it a one way thing? It looked like once you were in you couldn't turn around.
So on FB there's a lot of angst. Have now filled up three 16 seaters for people in Israel and Petra. Great for the locals to get this business.

Is it a one way thing? It looked like once you were in you couldn't turn around.
So on FB there's a lot of angst. Have now filled up three 16 seaters for people in Israel and Petra. Great for the locals to get this business.
picures and description here. It’s mainly single file one way and you have to wait or Force to get going the other way.

Post in thread 'Dipping my toe back in the Nile'
Dipping my toe back in the Nile

A couple of us found one young lady, quite distressed at the top of the single ladder in the Grand Gallery urgently wanting to go down, but there were no gaps in the line coming up. So me and another guy pulled our weight so to speak and forced our way down with her following. Most coming the other way readily squeezed aside.

picures and description here. It’s mainly single file one way and you have to wait or Force to get going the other way.

Post in thread 'Dipping my toe back in the Nile'
Dipping my toe back in the Nile

A couple of us found one young lady, quite distressed at the top of the single ladder in the Grand Gallery urgently wanting to go down, but there were no gaps in the line coming up. So me and another guy pulled our weight so to speak and forced our way down with her following. Most coming the other way readily squeezed aside.
Thankyou. I did follow that report but missed that bit. No way Jose.

Well, the excursions booking window for all cabins is now open. And many excursions were sold out before many had a chance to book.

I'd been proactive and had organised bus tours for Israel, Aqaba (Petra) and Safaga and Cairo. And posted details of these on FB and cruise critic for others to join. Ship excursions for Israel sold out well before our Window opened. Meh.

The tpur companies have updated me on bookings. So far four 16 seaters for Israel have been sold. (2 on each day). Aqaba - two 16 seaters sold out. Cairo - we have a private car as we wanted to visit the Pyramids, Sail on a felucca, and visit the Grand Bazaar.

So as follows we have booked the following

Muscat - ship excursion to visit the Grand Mosque (apparently it's stunning), the Bazaar, Sultans Palace and then a Dhow Cruise on the harbour.
Salalah - hired a private driver through tours by locals to take us to the Wadi. Dry season but still waterfalls.
Jeddah - Mr P is doing a general guided tour and I'm doing a secret women's business tour.
Aqaba - Petra
Safaga - we booked the super dooper expensive one and will visit Nefertari tomb, SETI tomb and Pharoah Tut and lunch on a Dhabeya. Yeah. It was booked out very early but then they must have put on another bus. On our excursion open window it booked out within 10 minutes.
Sharm El Sheik - snorkeling in the red sea
Cairo - private trip to the pyramids
Israel - Day 1 Bethlehem and Jerusalem and Western Wall. Shabbat though
Day 2 - Sea of Galilee and Nazareth.

Phew. Exhausting days leaving port at 6am and not returning until 8pm.

Back