Which ATMs to use for NAB Gold Visa Debit

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie777

Hi all,

Am travelling to Spain, elsewhere in Europe, and South America later this year.

Does anyone have experience with which ATMs to use the NAB Gold Visa debit, without incurring an ATM withdrawal fee (other than a fee charged by the ATM owner).

Have used the Wizard/28 Degrees card on my last trip at any ATM I saw, and wasn't charged a dime for any ATM withdrawals. Just wondering if NAB Gold is the same, or whether there's something in particular you need to look out for on the ATMs to know you won't be charged a fee by NAB.

I've used my NAB ATM card under a gold package at random ATM across Europe* and never been charged a fee by NAB^. I believe the gold debit card should work in the same way.

* Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Hungary
^ there was the case in 2005 where they said they had incorrectly charged ATM fees on gold package cards. I did not see such a charge on my statement (and got a good exchange rate) even through they said they incorrectly charged me a fee and refunded it.

Thanks medhed. So did you need to look out for any particular signage on the ATM, or did you just use any ATM you felt like?

Trying to get a feel for if there is anything I need to look out for on the ATM, to know I am getting the transaction fee-free.

Per NAB's website;
  • No fees for using overseas ATMs. Just check for the PLUS sign.
  • No fee for transactions in foreign currencies.
ATM's that charge a fee will clearly tell you, generally by way of a screen, that there is a fee charged by the ATM owner for that transaction.

Pretty much all the ATM's my friend who frequents South America has encountered offer an English-language option, so there won't be an issue with getting confused by a weird screen.

As for ensuring they don't charge a fee, have been a customer on this account since late 2008, and never been charged, accidentally or otherwise for overseas ATM use - one of the beautiful things about this product.

From the NAB website:
Overseas ATMs

As a NAB Gold Banking customer, we don't charge fees when you use overseas ATMs (just check for the PLUS sign) or for transactions in foreign currencies.
The owners of overseas ATMs might charge you directly.
I don't know that I've noticed the PLUS sign on a lot of ATMs overseas, so just wondering if they really must have the PLUS sign on them or not... From the post-er above, clearly a lot of ATMs can be used with this card fee-free...

As for ensuring they don't charge a fee, have been a customer on this account since late 2008, and never been charged, accidentally or otherwise for overseas ATM use - one of the beautiful things about this product.

Thanks for your reply thewinchester. So you've just used your card at any ATM overseas, and not been charged? You haven't needed to look out for this 'PLUS' sign?

Thanks medhed. So did you need to look out for any particular signage on the ATM, or did you just use any ATM you felt like?

Trying to get a feel for if there is anything I need to look out for on the ATM, to know I am getting the transaction fee-free.

Only thing you need to check is for the PLUS sign on the ATM as per the info Thewinchester quoted. This sign is also shown on the back of your card. I had no trouble finding a plus ATM.

Besides ATM owner fees there is no real way to know it will be fee free. Besides what NAB says and they are consistent in not charging a fee. I often also note the current advertised exchange rate and double check that against the transaction details on the statement. this is only a rough check to see if the fee was built into the transaction, it doesn't really mean much.

You might also have low limits on how much can be withdrawn at once. I think one Spanish ATM limited me to 250 euro or so.

Also I saw in another thread you said something that sounded like you got a nab gold CC. It is only the gold debit and gold package ATM cards that are fee free. A gold visa probably still has the usual visa and currency fees.

Only thing you need to check is for the PLUS sign on the ATM as per the info Thewinchester quoted. This sign is also shown on the back of your card. I had no trouble finding a plus ATM.

Besides ATM owner fees there is no real way to know it will be fee free. Besides what NAB says and they are consistent in not charging a fee. I often also note the current advertised exchange rate and double check that against the transaction details on the statement. this is only a rough check to see if the fee was built into the transaction, it doesn't really mean much.

You might also have low limits on how much can be withdrawn at once. I think one Spanish ATM limited me to 250 euro or so.

Also I saw in another thread you said something that sounded like you got a nab gold CC. It is only the gold debit and gold package ATM cards that are fee free. A gold visa probably still has the usual visa and currency fees.

Thanks medhead. Last time I travelled, I used the Wizard/28 degrees card, and was able to use any ATMs, so didn't really notice how common the PLUS sign was. But as you said, if it is quite common, then I shouldn't have a problem finding them, especially in 1st world countries.

Thanks for the tip on ATM limits in Spain. I read about that somewhere else. I wonder if that is per transaction, or per day for that particular ATM/bank?

Also, I have the NAB Gold Visa Debit, so no worries there :)

Thanks medhead. Last time I travelled, I used the Wizard/28 degrees card, and was able to use any ATMs, so didn't really notice how common the PLUS sign was. But as you said, if it is quite common, then I shouldn't have a problem finding them, especially in 1st world countries.

Thanks for the tip on ATM limits in Spain. I read about that somewhere else. I wonder if that is per transaction, or per day for that particular ATM/bank?

I found plus ATMs in rural Spain no problems. I think in 2005 I could also use cirrus network ATMs, but my debit card only has the plus symbol now.
The limit I encountered was per transaction as I did another withdraw for the same amount immediately afterwards.

The Plus symbol is connected to the Visa system, so no doubt any ATM where you can use a Visa card will also be Plus compatible.

I believe this was introduced to combat a particular scam that was going on where a person would go up to an ATM put in their card and type in their PIN, then a kid (sometimes as young as 10) would distract them while another kid would jump forward, type in a very high withdrawal amount and hit OK, then grab the cash and run.

So, to combat this the banks lowered the limits and if you withdraw a largish amount (think more than 100 Euro) it gets to the very end of the transaction and then makes you enter your PIN again before dispensing the cash. This has pretty much eliminated it.

on the Nab website it says to use atms with the PLUS sign. i converted my classic account over to a gold account before i go overseas but still have a standard visa debit card. i wonder do i need to press credit or savings to make cash withdrawals from overseas atms or it doesn't matter. also will i incur any exchange fees since i havent ordered a gold visa debit card even though the account is a gold smart account? also will i be covered for all the insurances? I called nab but they werent very clear they said i would be covered fro the travel but not the purchases if i didnt order a gold card. but chubb said i wouldnt have any cover if all purchases werent made on a visa gold debit card. btw to avoid the 150 Thai baht atm fee just use a AEON ATM.

Gold banking still says it has fee free ATM use. In ATMs I would select savings. The advantage of the visa is when you have to purchase something, as a credit cad type transaction. Since the money comes from the same account, it shouldn't make much difference. No exchange fees when using savings from an ATM in my experience.

Not sure about the insurance question. (I guess mention purchase protection insurance rather than travel insurance) just look up the qualification requirements in the PDS which should be on the NAB website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back