Where to transfer my AMEX points? VA vs SQ vs CX

Status
Not open for further replies.

featheast

Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Platinum
I took the AMEX explorer card offer last year and got about 110,000 points under this account. Due to some reason, I will need to close this account, so now the question becomes where should I transfer those points to?

A bit background of myself, currently QF gold, and have been predominantly fly QF for the last 5 years or so. I travel to USA for business once or twice a year. The remaining travel are majority personal, and being a Chinese, China and other Asian countries are the places I went to most. I do have some status credits with VA, thanks to some first class Delta and Hawaiian bookings (and I was even once only 20 SC away from Gold but lack of 4 VA segments).

So with 110,000 Amex points, based on my research, that can be convert to 82,500 of either VA/SQ/CX points. And I'm using HKG as my destination (glad VA is adding HKG flight soon), and apparently CX is the best place to go with the fewest points needed, while VA has the most points requirements. But being Aus based, it's just so much easier to get more VA points via various channels.

I haven't fly any of the above airlines long-haul J class before, but it appears they are all at least no worse than QF. So wish the helpful AFFers here can give me some idea as where I should transfer those points to. Thanks in advance.

Have you considered SPG? I transferred all of my Amex points there.

Have you considered SPG? I transferred all of my Amex points there.

Any other benefits of transferring to SPG apart from the obvious booking hotels with them? I am HH diamond, and usually stick with HH.

Edit: did some quick research, it appears I can harbour all my points to SPG, and then later transfer out to airline programs if needed. Not sure if there is any catch, but sounds promising so far.

Edit 2: I do see the problem now. Amex points to SPG is 2 to 1, while the direct transfer to airline is 4 to 3...

Last edited:
Transferring from Amex to airlines has different rates depending on the airline. Emirates is 4:3, but Cathay, Singapore are 1:1.

110,000 is enough for a return to Hong kong business class on Singapore airlines (that's at the new rates after 23 March, no discount, and no fuel surcharges). 15% cheaper if you transfer and book before 23 March (for travel any time in the next year). (If you can get yourself to 120K Amex points you could do one way Australia to Hong Kong in suites and the return in premium economy or v.v.)

SQ has pretty much wide open availability in premium classes (far better than QF's offerings). I'd park the points in AMEX until you decide where you want to go, then transfer.

Transferring from Amex to airlines has different rates depending on the airline. Emirates is 4:3, but Cathay, Singapore are 1:1.

110,000 is enough for a return to Hong kong business class on Singapore airlines (that's at the new rates after 23 March, no discount, and no fuel surcharges). 15% cheaper if you transfer and book before 23 March (for travel any time in the next year). (If you can get yourself to 120K Amex points you could do one way Australia to Hong Kong in suites and the return in premium economy or v.v.)

SQ has pretty much wide open availability in premium classes (far better than QF's offerings). I'd park the points in AMEX until you decide where you want to go, then transfer.

Thanks, that was my strategy until now I have to close this account to free up some credit for a home loan. And it's a Amex Explorer card, so it's 4:3 to most of the airlines.
In terms of availability, do you know which one is better CX vs SQ?

Well I have just about emptied my Amex points into Krisflyer....booked 2x Syd-Sin-Lhr and 1x Syd-Sin-Hkg for 2 pax in SQ F prior to the devaluation next week...just pondering if I should book 1 more but probably not ;)

Thanks, that was my strategy until now I have to close this account to free up some credit for a home loan. And it's a Amex Explorer card, so it's 4:3 to most of the airlines.
In terms of availability, do you know which one is better CX vs SQ?

SQ by a mile. CX is the same as QF in terms of availability... fairly slim pickings unless close in.

Any other benefits of transferring to SPG apart from the obvious booking hotels with them?
I use SPG top launder my Amex Reward Point to AAdvantage miles. 40,000 Amex points becomes 20,000 SPG point, which become 25,000 AA miles with the 5000 bonus miles per 20,000 transfers from SPG to AA. So with 3:1 earn rate for Amex points per dollar, that makes a spend of $13,334 on Amex (at super markets for the 3:1 rate on Amex Plat Edge card) gains 25,000 AA miles, or a rate of 1.875 AA miles per A$ spend.

CX is the same as QF in terms of availability... fairly slim pickings unless close in.

This is definitely not my experience.

CX has a lot more availability than QF for me.

CX has been very generous in availability for me.

Last edited:
This is definitely not my experience.

CX has a lot more availability than QF for me.

CX has been very generous in availability for me.

sorry I phrased that badly... what I was meaning to convey was that the QF website will show the same CX award seats as Asia miles. Yes CX has a lot more award seats, but if you can't find them via QF you won't be finding them on Asia miles.

I'd go CX or SQ. most definitely not VA unless you like leaving points to rot and die because you can't burn them on anything good!

Thanks for everyone's help, I eventually converted all points to SQ.
Did a few dummy bookings for the coming months, couldn't find any availability on CX, while there are a large number of seats on SQ.
I am aware of the points requirement on SQ is higher than CX, particularly in a few days without the 15% online discount, but the possibility of top it up via VA makes me feel it's gonna be easier if slightly lacking some points when needed.
Lastly, for my home town WUH, SQ treats it the same category as HKG (for all mid-southern China) and charge the same points, but for CX more points are needed if travel beyond HKG.

Thanks for everyone's help, I eventually converted all points to SQ.
Did a few dummy bookings for the coming months, couldn't find any availability on CX, while there are a large number of seats on SQ.
I am aware of the points requirement on SQ is higher than CX, particularly in a few days without the 15% online discount, but the possibility of top it up via VA makes me feel it's gonna be easier if slightly lacking some points when needed.
Lastly, for my home town WUH, SQ treats it the same category as HKG (for all mid-southern China) and charge the same points, but for CX more points are needed if travel beyond HKG.

I think it's a good choice. SQ's good availability makes up for a whole lot (and they're still much much cheaper than QF).

I've been dead set on SQ conversion too and then I read this recently on ozbargain...
As post reward program linking its $1=2KF, thats a gold mine to me! :D

But then I read this and now doubting my choice... what do you guys think??

If you've got a partner and are both able to apply for this card you will have enough points for a Marriott Flight and Nights package (includes 120k airline miles and 7 night hotel stay certificate). As an example, this could be redeemed for two return business class flights to Japan and 7 nights at the Courtyard Tokyo Station hotel.
2 x 100k MR sign up bonus plus 30k MR referral bonus (one person signs up for card then refers their partner once they've received it) = 230k MR points.
230k MR points = 115k SPG points
Transfer 100k SPG point to 300k Marriott points to redeem for category 6 Flight and Night package including 132k United Mileage Plus miles (10% bonus on top of 120k for United miles).
Transfer remaining 8000 SPG points straight to United Mileage Plus giving you a total of 140k United Mileage Plus Miles.
Redeem United Mileage Plus miles for two business class tickets to Japan at 70k Mileage Plus miles per return ticket and book 7 nights at Courtyard Tokyo Station hotel using certificate. You'll even have enough SPG points left over to book a night at the Westin Nagoya Castle.

Source: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/299466?page=2#comment-4561813

I've been dead set on SQ conversion too and then I read this recently on ozbargain...
As post reward program linking its $1=2KF, thats a gold mine to me! :D

But then I read this and now doubting my choice... what do you guys think??

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Source: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/299466?page=2#comment-4561813

There was already some discussion on Marriott Travel Packages here in AFF:

http://www.australianfrequentflyer....riott-travel-packages-what-airline-80200.html

It is great value, especially with the wide range of airlines you can redeem on. I personally redeemed on BA, but AA, UA and AS are attractive for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back