What is in the kitchen in a 747? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

What is in the kitchen in a 747?

juddles

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Hey all,

I considered posting this in the Ask the Pilot thread, but think it better separate.

Does anyone know what the "kitchen facilities" are on an airplane? To keep this focussed, take a QF 747 for example.

Do they re-heat meals in bulk in some sort of heated compartment? Do they have microwaves? If my soup is cold, can they actually heat it? Can they boil water?

Etc.....

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
They use Steam Ovens to reheat all food there are no microwaves that I know of or conventional ovens. Tea and coffee uses hot water from an electric boiler.

Some also have coffee machines in premium cabins for posh coffees LOL.

Yes food can be heated up however soup these days is normally supplied in a Thermos so that would be difficult to reheat.

Thats all I am aware of when it comes to aircraft kitchens,

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
In premium cabins the food is reheated the same as in economy ie a tray with foil. It is then re-plated in accordance with a standard set up, at least on Qantas

juddles

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
In premium cabins the food is reheated the same as in economy ie a tray with foil. It is then re-plated in accordance with a standard set up, at least on Qantas
So in the "steam oven" they reheat a batch of meals, each in their tray? So the foil is already there and stays on?

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Yes the foil is on and gets removed once re heated. Some airlines re-heat the food in the serving dish but it starts off with foil on it for re-heating

juddles

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
What do they do with snacks on demand that are hot? (or at least warm) - are these kept permanently at the warm temp for the flight?

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
What do they do with snacks on demand that are hot? (or at least warm) - are these kept permanently at the warm temp for the flight?
hot snacks 'on demand' are rarely 'on demand'. There's usually a 10-15 minute wait while they re-heat it. The food would be spoiled if they kept it hot for 12 hours before you get it.

It's no different to a hot breakfast at the end of the flight.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
If you go Etihad First on A380 at least, the on-board chef can/will prepare meals NOT on the menu (although that is very extensive), so I dare so his gear is a bit beyond the standard set-up. :) I didn't see him in action, but his 'kitchen' certainly resembled a (very compact) kitchen, as opposed to a 'food preparation area'.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyeom