What do you want/expect on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intern
Hi FF,

I have been reading this board for a short time now, and work as Cabin Crew for our nations largest carrier domestically. I, like many, and unlike some, love my job, and I am at work to serve the passengers to the best of my ability, not just to earn a crust.

I try my best on board to give extra attention to "WP's" as you FF's so eloquently put it, and like to add a "Welcome Back" to our "WP's, SG's, and JC/QP" members during boarding as they are either very loyal or are paying extra to be with us, for example and much more.

What I want to know from our FF's is what kind of service do you expect on board? What is it that we can do to go over and above to make sure that you have a more than positive experience with us?

Do you want a personal welcome if you are a Top-tier FF? Do you want to offered a cuppa or two during the flight if we are not providing extra service? Do you appreciate a newspaper (if in Y) if we have some left over from J/C? etc......

I only write this because I want to personally endeavour to create a positive experience above and beyond what the airline expects us to. :D

This is serious, I am a crew member who has too much time on my hands and actually loves my job, and want to make it better for our FF to have a positive experience with us, not just an average flight.

Thanks in advance :D

Welcome to AFF!

Do you mind if I ask how long you’ve been cabin crew for?

To answer your question, I guess friendly service is all I need. Pleasantries on boarding are great, and I never would have thought about a cuppa, if no extra service is provided, but I’d sure appreciate flying with you! :)

I flew BNE-SYD the other day on a 3:15pm flight. Given I was done with work for the day, I decided a Heineken with whatever they were serving might be the answer (of course knowing that I would have to pay for it).

The FA in question was clearly a little embarassed that he had to take my money (and loaded me up with bags of pretzels). It hit me then that perhaps QF should introduce a system for high level frequent flyers to provide free drinks on all afternoon services, not just after 4pm on weekdays. Given QantasLink do it already (for all pax) its a little frustrating to step from my regional flight and onto the mainline one and to have to open up my wallet. Would be simple, hand over SG/WP card, its scanned and the pax gets one drink.

Obviously not much you can do about it as cabin crew... but just putting it out there.

Other than that I don't find there are too many poor QF FA's. I'd estimate on the average 747/A380 long haul I've been on, only 1 or 2 portray the sterotypical QF "I'm too good to be here so don't ask me for anything" attitude.

Well, welcome 'aboard' 737. Always nice to have another insider in our midst.

As a long time Silver and more recent graduate to WP, It's just the little things that make spending a few hours (or longer) in a pressurised tube at 35000 feet a little more enjoyable. Perhaps sneaking a glass or two of the nice wine from J or the noise cancelling headphones if on an international 330/747/380 type service.

Newspapers are a nice touch too (as you say, if left over).

daniel's suggestion of complimentary alcohol is good too. I don't want to get plastered on a domestic flight (hey there's the J lounge for that if I so desire) but a complimentary beer would be nice now and again. That said, that would be a little difficult to police with a whole heap of 'hey he got a free beer! why don't I get a free beer?' and the ensuing attitude/arguments that may follow.

Just the little things matter. I think that kind of thing is pretty personal to each individual flyer though.

Oh, and would someone convince ground staff to have the AA type Priority boarding for Elites. Sometimes it's nice to not have to fight the crowd to board a full 767 service. AA just have a sign with 'Priority AAccess' and 'Coach' with arrows pointing to left or right. Priority AAccess people can board at any time without queueing, similar to J/F boarding on international flights. That would be a huge plus IMHO.

Welcome aboard 737. Wish you a pleasant flight for 2010.

I would like to see consistencies in service and product offerings. Recently, I completed a MEL-PER and PER-MEL over Christmas in J. On MEL-PER flight, the service were standard/average - pre-take-off drink, post-take-off drink, meal, desert + cheese, then another round of drink. The FAs then disappears into the gallery and chattered away loudly. They only peek through the curtain when called, no offerrings of top-ups or anything. A sharp constrast to SQ J service that I recently took also.

Further, on PER-MEL flight, the female FA was charming (FA Chris on QF768) with sunny disposition and spent time to chat with each and every J paxs. She even helped a "slightly more matured" lady with her carry-ons during boarding and deplaning. She reminds me of SQ J service. However, the male FA was a waste of space, he was abrupt and disinterested. He made no effort in providing service - his way of offering preflight drink: "Water or Juice" then walk away, and would just take away empty glasses without acknowledgement. (I would at least expect an "Excuse me".)

Anyway, personally speaking, I like to have consistencies. I hope all the FAs are like "Chris" and "737" taking initiatives to make all Paxs feel welcome and happy.

Hi there

Welcome to AFF.

On the drinks side of things, maybe the FA's could approach the elite FF's in Y before pushback and ask for their preference of drink, which could be personally served as soon as the crew are permitted to move about the cabin, even if the passenger does have to pay for it, even DJ could do this for their Velocity Gold's.

Cheers
DJ737

Personally, I think that once onboard all passengers should get equally good service; I find any special welcomes ( unless it is based on actually remembering someone from a previous fligt ) rather forced and silly as a crew members wanders around with a manifest

Dave

Simple, just make an announcement on board ... "If there are any WP,SG,PS onboard, it's happy hour time. Raise your left hand if you want wine, raise your right hand if you want a beer" LOL

Thanks for the question 737.

Personally, I'm happy with a smile and friendly service. I do appreciate a "welcome back" when boarding, and the occassional spare Fin Review making its way to the Y cabin. I'm not worried about a free alchobevie, as I've normally grabbed one in the J lounge, and I'm probably going to be driving when I land. However, I'm partial to a ginger beer, so a second offering later in the flight on a longer sector would be most enjoyable.

If the load factor is low, then as a plane geek, I don't mind a quick chat about the sectors you've flown recently, etc, but I'm conscious that I'm not the only one on board, and that you still have a job to do.

Not that you could do it on a domestic flight, but I really have appreciated a pair of noise cancelling headsets when I'm in Y.

To be honest, the extras are nice, but not necessary. It sounds like you are the type of FA that would have to be having a coughpy day to not provide what I'm looking for already.

Some good suggestions here, which brings me to another related question. I recently flew to London as a first time WP in Y and the FA personally greeted me after takeoff and asked "if there was anything else they could do for me during the flight not to hestitate to ask" I couldn't think of anything else to ask for! What other things could I have asked for in Economy as a WP that other passengers couldn't? (The noise cancelling headphones are a good idea!)

I find any special welcomes ( unless it is based on actually remembering someone from a previous fligt ) rather forced and silly as a crew members wanders around with a manifest

I agree the manifest welcomes do seem a little silly. However, a pleasant "welcome back" upon boarding - (after noticing the WP status on the BP) is a nice touch, and a special in seat welcome - without the manifest - on longer flights is also a nice touch.

To 737 - welcome to AFF, and thanks for taking the time to post and seek our views.

Domestically - on the shorter flights, I would have thought there isn't a lot you can do to enhance the experience, other than being pleasant and helpful. With these flights - it's probably more the ground experience (priority luggage, late boarding, QC access, delay handling etc) that makes the difference. On the longer flights such as east-west coasters, a nice touch is probably seeking out extra drink orders or taking a meal preference early and saving one if the high tier guest happens to be sitting somewhere that would put them at the end of the meal service and may face limited choice (I realise this would be difficult!).

I think internationally is where the difference and some special treatment is really appreciated - such as the offer of extra drinks, headphones, newspapers etc does make a difference. I remember my first international flight with QF in 2002, and flying out of JFK - as a Gold FF in economy, we were offered pre-takeoff drinks (of the alcoholic variety), Australian newspaper etc. That really was a nice touch and set the tone for a great flight.

My thinking on the drinks was the SG/WP could hand over thier card to be swiped, therefore it would appear like a credit card transaction (that said, QF would have to start taking credit cards) therefore Joe Blogs won't know whats going on.

A pipe dream... can't see them doing it, although it would certainly be appreciated

I have been reading this board for a short time now, and work as Cabin Crew for our nations largest carrier domestically. I, like many, and unlike some, love my job, and I am at work to serve the passengers to the best of my ability, not just to earn a crust.

Welcome to AFF, 737!

..and want to make it better for our FF to have a positive experience with us, not just an average flight..

Please ask your colleagues to smile a little more often .. sounds silly, but quite a few of the QF FAs I've had the questionable pleasure of flying with have had the grouchiest dispositions.

Oh and like a few others have said - please stick around! Always good to have an 'insider perspective' on things :)

Hi 737! A pleasure to have you aboard. We'd like to also extend a special welcome to all your fellow Qantas and Oneworld crew and staff joining us here at AFF, and trust you have a pleasant journey with us.

Sorry, channelling a pre-flight announcement there for a second :mrgreen:

My comment would be that the amount of attention you can give us is limited to the information you may already have or gather during the course of travel. I don't know how much detail the PNR lists give you on pax aboard, but some things I'd appreciate why flying:

1. Personal welcomes are nice. While its not going to be possible in the Y cabin, in J or F the numbers are reduced. If you've got a good memory, it would be great for you to say 'Hi Mr X, good morning X' (depending on the pax's preferred greeting, and if that info is in the PNR list).

As Dave said, you don't want FA's wandering around the cabin with the manifest - it needs to be a natural greeting.
  2. If I've been travelling quite a bit that day, say a couple of connecting flights or long trip - one would hope the PNR list flags that information for FA's.

That info can at least be used by staff as a personalised non-business conversation starter. This can also be used to identify any pax information needs, such as information on services at the next or following ports, such as lounges locations or available services (if known).
  3. For the premium cabins - what preferences do they have? Are they tea or coffee drinkers, is it black or milk with two sugars? Do they have a preferred wine or spirit, or do they not drink at all like me and go straight for the Orange Juice on boarding, and Bundaberg Ginger Beer with their meal or snack?

Brownie points for the first FA who happens to smuggle aboard, or through nefarious means has Coke Zero loaded into the catering carts. If she's female, I'd ask for her hand in marriage, and if male - I'll name my first born after them.
  4. What about me back in Y? There are some FA's who really give no consideration to pax in Y, particularly if they have high OW or QF status. I would love an FA to come back to me in Y and offer me a newspaper or magazine occasionally if there's one spare. And if they know what my newspaper or magazine preference is even better.
That's just a couple of quick suggestions off the top of my head. I'm sure they'll be more from others.

But, one FA on their own can't be the soul champion for this - all hands needed to make it work

As someone with a marketing/communications background, I like to see the best in brands. I would love to see all staff take personal ownership of delivering consistent positive relationships with customers. It all goes towards the Lovemarks philosophy - achieving loyalty beyond reason from your customers.

Qantas have embodied the ideas of Lovemarks in their advertising, with the iconic 'I still call Australia home' campaigns - but that idea still needs to transcend into all areas of its operations. You want customers to walk away from having been aboard a Qantas flight, having reached into their hearts and minds, establishing or sustaining an emotional connection they just can’t live without. Ever.

This is exactly what it seems you're trying to do, by creating a better relationship with your customers at each interaction. You should be applauded for taking the initiative, and I'd love to see your colleagues do the same.

I'll be sending a PM to you shortly, because I'd love to get your name and details so you can be nominated for an eXcel award.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that at the moment. Once again welcome aboard, and look forward to your continued participation at AFF.

Simple, just make an announcement on board ... "If there are any WP,SG,PS onboard, it's happy hour time. Raise your left hand if you want wine, raise your right hand if you want a beer" LOL

+1

bring it on. Could get interesting heh:)

"When do I get a free beer? If you have arms, and can hold one" - Pam Ann

737 another welcome to AFF.What I want when I board a QF flight is to have FAs with your attitude.What I would like to expect is exactly the same.
What most of ther others are asking for is really what management have to provide to make your job easier.I am in the American Airlines program.They do make an effort to identify loyal customers not just the VIPs and high revenue pax.They do make a note of all your complaints and praise.Twice I have been told by staff about my messages re great staff that i have sent to AA.Hence I really cant complain about the service I receive on AA-If your managers did this I am sure your job would be easier.
Also they do put themselves out for their elites such as with priority boarding.Also on the all Y American eagle flights their elites do get a complimentary beverage-everyone else pays-see it can be done but once again by management.
Anyway,thanks for posting.Keep it up and i hope I have the good fortune to be on one of your flights.

Hi FF,
What is it that we can do to go over and above to make sure that you have a more than positive experience with us?:D

Welcome aboard 737.

As someone who used to work in hospitality, it is your attitude that makes the diffeence and you have already achieved a gold medal on that one.

All you need to do is to ask yourself at the end of every flight, "is there anything I could have done differently"; the answers will come.

And as for that grumpy customer who can't be pleased; I used to love them. After all, if you can work out how to make them happy (and then treat all your pax the same way) then you will have nailed it.

Looking forward to flying with you.

JV

Service.
Unfortunately some QF FAs give others a bad name.

You have raised some good ideas.
The newspapers, greeting by sirname, recognition of loyalty etc.

The drinks for elite happens on AA. Infact Ive had it as a OW Saph on AA (QF ticket) much to my suprise. This may agravate some pax though, I wouldnt want to be on the WA mines route when some in Y get free drinks and others dont. Although, good point about QF Link flights.

Peronal attention to make the guest feel valued, although this is easier in J cabin than Y with alot less pax.
A recent QF jetconnect crew AKL-LAX lightened up the mood and a very attentive and amusing CSM helped time fly, especially after the 0500 ex MEL flight.

Other ideas which have been popped up sound good, i'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from this forum.

Welcome to AFF.

David.

Oh, and on some flights, my left and right arms and legs would be raised :D
:p

Please ask your colleagues to smile a little more often

I second that. A happy FA makes for a happier experience. Having said that, the times when I had grumpy looking FAs on my flight have been few and far between.

For the premium cabins - what preferences do they have? Are they tea or coffee drinkers, is it black or milk with two sugars? Do they have a preferred wine or spirit, or do they not drink at all like me and go straight for the Orange Juice on boarding, and Bundaberg Ginger Beer with their meal or snack?

Now that's a fantastic idea. Sort of similar to the special meal requests on one's online profile, including drink preferences would be awesome - but that's for management to consider.

Regarding handing out newspapers to pax in Y - doesn't that already happen? I fly around once a month CBR-MEL return and newspapers come around on most flights - though it runs out by the time it reaches row 10 or so.

737, welcome to AFF.

As everyone else has mentioned, thank you for coming on board to ask for our feedback, concerns, gripes and what not.

I fly a lot of QF domestic (not sure how much more I can keep it up ;)) and I tend to expect more or less the same service all the time. And I do get that service - I haven't had a grumpy FA; the worst that's happened is that a FA will not smile as much and if I say, "How are you?" they will answer dismissively. So perhaps if you want to take that point on board, tell your colleagues to lighten up. I know this is really tough if you've had a bad day, or had to deal with an awful passenger, or if it's the first flight of the morning. Having worked in a service position before, I can often sympathise with you.

Some people tell me that QF FAs are rude. Not sure if they are referring to domestic or international, but despite the fact that there may be a couple of them around, I haven't run into any, so I find it hard to believe that statement.

International flights is where QF might be able to lift their game. The service is still satisfactory, but it lacks the lustre that you might be able to find on domestic flights. Of course, you have so many more passengers' needs to consider; moreover, since they will most certainly be of a much wider demographic than that on domestic flights, it may be harder to satisfy their expectations. But therein lies the challenge to impress.

One big rule is don't hide too much behind that curtain or in the galley. I find this a bit on other airlines when there are pax in the cabin that mightn't mind another drink, or need their tray table cleared even though they ate slower and couldn't give their tray in when the collection trolley came around. Or the passenger who hits the call bell expects to be attended nominally in about a minute, not an hour. (I myself don't have a good record with call bells being answered. I usually avoid using them.) I realise you all need some time to eat, defuse with a bit of light banter and the like, and especially when the day's schedule is going to the dogs and you know you're being pushed really hard.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I know there are a lot of things that most of us gripe about that is beyond the control of the FA contingent, but for your part, we expect overall great service that values us as customers (and especially elites, which as others have said may be difficult if the flight is full and we are sitting in the main cabin) and we also expect good posture (not talking about the physical kind here, although that is important too) when things don't go to plan. (From some anecdotes that float around, when things go wrong or a problem needs to be solved, sometimes QF staff can fail in this regard and end up being oppressive towards pax).

Of course, I have no idea who you are, but I hope that you'll be serving on at least one of my flights this year.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back