What cards should I keep to maximise QFF earn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the commuter

Hi all,

I'm hoping the seasoned AFF folk can give me a hand here.

Over the years, like most of us, I have acquired a wallet full of various cards. I've only recently begun to look at how to maximise points earn (QFF exclusively).

A bit about my profile: I am not a points chaser. I will collect the points as incidental bonuses to my regular shopping patterns. Frugality wins over points. For example, if I just happen to go to Woolworths I will whip out an AMEX and Everyday Rewards card due to the fact that I was shopping there anyway. Otherwise I will go to Aldi and save $20 and forgo any points.

I am also looking to cut down my annual fees to a minimum. I never carry a balance so interest rates are of no concern to me. Having said all that, this is what I currently have in my wallet: AMEX Plat charge, AMEX Plat Reserve, Westpac Earth Black (recently product swapped from Earth Plat Plus), ANZ QFF Plat Visa, St George Plat Visa, BankWest Lite MasterCard, GO Mastercard, Coles Plat mastercard, Citi Select Plat Visa.

Wow - typing all those out, I now have no idea why I have all of these!

Here are my current thoughts:

• Ditch AMEX Plat charge. The $900 fee is ludicrous and since it dropped down to 1pt/$ I have been using it a lot less.
  • Maybe keep AMEX Plat Reserve. Currently fee-free due to having the charge card. Although if I understand it correctly, ditching the charge card will re-enable the $395 fee and I will also drop from Ascent Premium to Ascent, which makes this card worthless for me as I can transfer to QFF. Is this correct? Therefore the only value of this would be the free flight/hotel stay. In which case I might as well switch to AMEX Plat Edge (I think flights are more limited and no hotel stay).
  • Westpac Earth Black. My main card when AMEX is accepted at everywhere except major supermarkets and petrol stations. 1.5pt/$. 0.625pt/$ on the MasterCard side. Annual rate for me is $250.
  • For major supermarkets/petrol purchases, the DJ AMEX looks good. Low annual fee and 2.25pt/$.
  • For Mastercard/Visa, are there any cards that will earn better than 0.625 pt/$?

Are my above assumptions/comments correct? Remember all above references to points relate to QFF points only. ANY ADVICE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! It's a confusing minefield out there in the land of loyalty schemes and I do tend to get lost frequently.

Best,
The Commuter.

Are you paying annual fees for all of these cards? If you are, then just switch your AMEX Plat charge to Plat Edge, and apply for a woolworths Qantas card.

You mostly will end up paying $149+$89=$238, or another $99 for DJ AMEX if you want that as well.

Are you paying annual fees for all of these cards? If you are, then just switch your AMEX Plat charge to Plat Edge, and apply for a woolworths Qantas card.

You mostly will end up paying $149+$89=$238, or another $99 for DJ AMEX if you want that as well.

Hi wxxnsx,

Thanks for the reply. Not all the cards have fees, but I am trying to cut the big ones out (i.e. Plat charge @ $900). I looked at the Woolworths Qantas card - it only earns 1pt/$ though? My Westpac Black will get 1.5pt/$ and the DJ Amex will get 2.25pt/$.

Also by switching to the Plat Edge won't I get bumped down to Ascent (from Ascent Premium), meaning I won't be able to transfer to QFF?

Sorry for the newb questions!

Hi wxxnsx,

Thanks for the reply. Not all the cards have fees, but I am trying to cut the big ones out (i.e. Plat charge @ $900). I looked at the Woolworths Qantas card - it only earns 1pt/$ though? My Westpac Black will get 1.5pt/$ and the DJ Amex will get 2.25pt/$.

Also by switching to the Plat Edge won't I get bumped down to Ascent (from Ascent Premium), meaning I won't be able to transfer to QFF?

Sorry for the newb questions!

You did not look at the whole picture.

1) Plat Edge can be linked to either Ascent or Qantas Ascent, you can choose the 2nd option, so every $ you spend will be auto-credited to your QF FFP account, use this card in major supermarkets (3 points per $) and major petrol stations (2 points per $)

2) Your earth black gives 1.5 pt per $ only applies to AMEX but not mastercard, you only get 0.625 pt per $ and don't tell me that you never use other credit cards except AMEX. You use WWS Qantas card for places which do not accept AMEX to max your points.

So I think two credit cards are pretty much suitable for your daily expenses.

You did not look at the whole picture.

1) Plat Edge can be linked to either Ascent or Qantas Ascent, you can choose the 2nd option, so every $ you spend will be auto-credited to your QF FFP account, use this card in major supermarkets (3 points per $) and major petrol stations (2 points per $)

2) Your earth black gives 1.5 pt per $ only applies to AMEX but not mastercard, you only get 0.625 pt per $ and don't tell me that you never use other credit cards except AMEX. You use WWS Qantas card for places which do not accept AMEX to max your points.

So I think two credit cards are pretty much suitable for your daily expenses.

I wasn't aware I could link a Plat Edge to Ascent Premium (and hence QFF points)? Remember the only way I am doing that now with my Plat Reserve is because I have the Plat Charge and I am planning to cancel that.

Thanks for the Woolworths MasterCard idea - that is certainly better than the 0.625 earn from the Westpac Black MasterCard. Any other cards that earn 1QFFpt/$ or more on Visa/MasterCard that anyone is aware of?

:)

The Jetstar mastercard earns 1 point per $. Plus there are some Citibank Visa cards, I'm not sure which ones.

I wasn't aware I could link a Plat Edge to Ascent Premium (and hence QFF points)?

Not Ascent Premium, it's just Ascent Qantas which means all of rewards will be auto-credited to QF account only, nothing else.

Not Ascent Premium, it's just Ascent Qantas which means all of rewards will be auto-credited to QF account only, nothing else.
You're thinking of Altitude Qantas. Amex does not have an Ascent-based direct sweep to QF.

Shift all your Amex MR points out to Qantas and cancel both the Plat Charge and Plat Reserve (obviously do this right near to annual fee being due).

You want to have the following cards:
- 2.25ppd (at petrol stations & supermarkets) Amex (DJ Amex - already got it)
- 1.5ppd Amex (Westpac Earth Black - already got it)
- 1ppd Visa/MC (Woolworths EDR Qantas - need to apply for it)

I have just reevaluated my credit cards and ended up with the bankwest platinum mastercard at $99 year, free supp card, and fee free overseas transactions, 1point/dollar. I also have the plat edge Amex to get the 3points/dollar at supermarkets and 2points per dollar for petrol. Have also just got the DJ card for the sign up bonus, will use for petrol then will close before the year is out.
Hoping to cancel everything else!

If you open a card just to get the sign on bonus, you may as well close it as soon as possible (say 3 months) and try and get the join fee pro rata'd, so 3/4 of it back... I have an Amex/Visa QF plat combo, probably similar to your Earth one in that the Amex gets 1.5pt/$ but the visa only gets 0.5pts/$ but cost me $295 the first year.. As i put most of my spend through it as the annual renewal fee approached i suggested to them that i was going to swap to a different bank and they now give it to me for $55 a year, which is just the cost of the Qantas program annual fee, so don't be afraid to ask them to drop their fees to stop you changing, all they can say is no... The Woolies Visa is good for the 1pt/$ rate, probably a card i should look back into getting, esp with the current 20,000 pt sign on bonus...

Hi all,

I'm hoping the seasoned AFF folk can give me a hand here.

Over the years, like most of us, I have acquired a wallet full of various cards. I've only recently begun to look at how to maximise points earn (QFF exclusively).

A bit about my profile: I am not a points chaser. I will collect the points as incidental bonuses to my regular shopping patterns. Frugality wins over points. For example, if I just happen to go to Woolworths I will whip out an AMEX and Everyday Rewards card due to the fact that I was shopping there anyway. Otherwise I will go to Aldi and save $20 and forgo any points.

I am also looking to cut down my annual fees to a minimum. I never carry a balance so interest rates are of no concern to me. Having said all that, this is what I currently have in my wallet: AMEX Plat charge, AMEX Plat Reserve, Westpac Earth Black (recently product swapped from Earth Plat Plus), ANZ QFF Plat Visa, St George Plat Visa, BankWest Lite MasterCard, GO Mastercard, Coles Plat mastercard, Citi Select Plat Visa.

Wow - typing all those out, I now have no idea why I have all of these!

Here are my current thoughts:

• Ditch AMEX Plat charge. The $900 fee is ludicrous and since it dropped down to 1pt/$ I have been using it a lot less.
  • Maybe keep AMEX Plat Reserve. Currently fee-free due to having the charge card. Although if I understand it correctly, ditching the charge card will re-enable the $395 fee and I will also drop from Ascent Premium to Ascent, which makes this card worthless for me as I can transfer to QFF. Is this correct? Therefore the only value of this would be the free flight/hotel stay. In which case I might as well switch to AMEX Plat Edge (I think flights are more limited and no hotel stay).
  • Westpac Earth Black. My main card when AMEX is accepted at everywhere except major supermarkets and petrol stations. 1.5pt/$. 0.625pt/$ on the MasterCard side. Annual rate for me is $250.
  • For major supermarkets/petrol purchases, the DJ AMEX looks good. Low annual fee and 2.25pt/$.
  • For Mastercard/Visa, are there any cards that will earn better than 0.625 pt/$?

Are my above assumptions/comments correct? Remember all above references to points relate to QFF points only. ANY ADVICE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! It's a confusing minefield out there in the land of loyalty schemes and I do tend to get lost frequently.

Best,
The Commuter.

Personally I think this is a very narrow view of the Platinum Charge card...

There is much more too it but if you have no interest in hotels, eating out or travel expenses then yes go ahead an cancel...

Otherwise get three points for eating out and two points for all travel expenses. Throw in some hotel upgrades and maybe some bonus points with Hotelclub of you're looking for cheaper hotel options (10 points per dollar as bonus points).

You get the free flight, travel insurance (devalued but it's still there), fantastic customer service, priority pass (useful if no status), Cathay Pacific Gold (if no QF status then very useful) etc etc.

You have a lot of useless junk cards - why the go MasterCard and the Coles card??? The St George and Bankwest cards aren't likely to be helping either - the Bankwest card is low interest which goes against your previous comments. The ANZ and Earth cards are both earning you the same points - you can get an Amex with ANZ for the same cost as your QFF visa. As other have mentioned you can get a better Visa/MC rate than either though.

What exactly is your Citibank card? There is the Platinum (awful earn rate), the Signature and then Select - your comment is confusing as you either have the Platinum or the Select. If you have select you'd know as it is $700 per year...

Some things to ponder!

Bankwest cards aren't likely to be helping either - the Bankwest card is low interest

You are looking at the wrong thing.

Qantas Platinum MasterCard

Annual fee $140
earn 1 point per $1 spent on eligible purchases
Foreign transaction fees waived
International travel insurance
Car hire insurance excess - up to $3000

For $40 more than Woolworths Qantas credit card, you can earn points on overseas spendings, kill 28 Degree & Woolworths Qantas credit card with one card.

And the insurance actually cover hire car, unlike the coughpy American Express Platinum Reserve for $395.

I will get this when I go overseas middle of this year, to replace 28 Degree.

You are looking at the wrong thing.

Qantas Platinum MasterCard

Annual fee $140
earn 1 point per $1 spent on eligible purchases
Foreign transaction fees waived
International travel insurance
Car hire insurance excess - up to $3000

For $40 more than Woolworths Qantas credit card, you can earn points on overseas spendings, kill 28 Degree & Woolworths Qantas credit card with one card.

And the insurance actually cover hire car, unlike the coughpy American Express Platinum Reserve for $395.

I will get this when I go overseas middle of this year, to replace 28 Degree.

You'll notice that my post quotes the original post which clearly states the OP has the 'Bankwest Lite Mastercard' which is a low interest product... My comment was that this particular BWA card didn't align with the OP's goals.

I'm aware of the QFF card and its benefits as I have it myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back