What and Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveB

Probably been done many times before but finding a location on this site with collective information on the most effective use of credit cards is difficult without providing a flag for corporate snoops.
The idea for this thread is to provide an understanding of the various cards being used, their annual cost and why they are being used. Card use is not always logical (in my case anyway) or the most advantageous, even when knowing more efficient options are available.
In my situation, I own a business with a mortgage used as an overdraft facility. All flights are on points accumulating with SQ, QF and VA.
Have the the following cards in order of use:
  1. Citi Select Visa - $700pa used OS and primarily where Amex isn't accepted or at too high a fee. Citi recently kicked all customers in the gut with the recent stopping of ATO points. Still a great card when the spend is justified. Able to pool points for use to a number of airlines including SQ & VA (1.33X points earn) and CX (1:1) or using Citi rewards at $58K spend per $1,000 airfare, an expensive option but very handy when trying to get all the family up the front on one plane or have to take a particular flight at short notice.
  2. NAB Premium Amex/Visa - $250 pa or free with mortgage package, a typical card of the big 4 banks. $100k per month maximum spend though 1.5x for Amex is pretty good though unfortunately no pooling in either the QF or VA option. Use card for most personal spend and ATO payments. Was able to move from VA to QF the past month without any hassle, though no direct debits helped. Visa card never used or carried.
  3. WWEDR QF MC - $89. One of the few Visa/MC's on $1:1FF earn and able to be used on ATO, though general feedback seems to indicate $10-15K per month is pushing the friendship and needs considerable personal spend to cover the ATO usage. Earning higher points elsewhere, a backup card in my case, though have started using for over the phone transactions which are often difficult to determine if they were business or personal expense.
  4. 28 Degrees Card - free. No rewards, used primarily OS loading the card for cash advances with limited overseas purchases in the final week to stop them getting too upset.
  5. Amex Discovery card - free. QF points earn at $1:1FF. Never used, a good cheap backup.

Last edited:
A points review for 2013FY thus far (Quicken & MYOB made it easy) revealed I am achieving a $1:1.34FF conversion rate thus far.
Still need to get out of my fixation against card fees having missed out around 5% of total spend that could have gone to a high earning Amex. Will take up an Engineers Oz members package for a Plat Edge Amex at $149pa replacing the Discovery card. The annual free flight effectively pays for the card and can be used by one of the daughters.
The Edge has the added benefit of points pooling and will investigate a hotel rewards scheme with my airline accounts currently well stocked. Started using VA points to pay for all car hires with accommodation the next holiday cost to conquer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back