Watch out insurance 'disaster'

Status
Not open for further replies.

rechoboam

Due to a sudden and severe illness of a relative (thankfully improving) I had to cancel a ten day trip next week. No problem, I paid on an ANZ Gold FF card. Uh actually a big problem- it has NO travel insurance. I have always checked before booking and my gold cards have always covered it. Worse I also have a platinum card for business. If I would have accidentally put $250 on the other card I would have been totally covered.

Anyway 2/3 of the trip will be refunded or covered by "membership" insurance at the resort. The rest maybe the airline will refund or offer a credit, no idea- and the prepaid Shangri-La for a couple of nights I don't know about.

As my loved one is improving (it was grim) I'm not so fussed but a reminder- never assume!

Hope all is ok & things are back to normal quickly!

We have a couple of different AMEX's, CBA Diamond, Citi, ANZ & a few others - I think all of them offer insurance. We've never relied on any of the CC insurance & have always purchased yearly policies as stand alone insurance. In the past I always thought this was my ignorance on how the CC insurance works however, given the many recent threads on the topic - I think we were right!

Good luck & happy health

We have a couple of different AMEX's, CBA Diamond, Citi, ANZ & a few others - I think all of them offer insurance. We've never relied on any of the CC insurance & have always purchased yearly policies as stand alone insurance. In the past I always thought this was my ignorance on how the CC insurance works however, given the many recent threads on the topic - I think we were right!

Good luck & happy health

Now things are returning to normal we made our calls and are getting everything back except one hotel night. QF holidays are giving a credit. I'm dumping my credit card. And we are planning a very nice holiday in summer. Life's too short.

Most importantly you are covered on my ANZ platinum card if you spend a certain small amount ($350 or $250) even if you pay the rest by BPay or a better card

Good luck & happy health

I had a good experience a couple of years back with Alianz and my Citibusiness card. Got stuck in BKK for an extra week due to BA not flying during the Icland Volcano ash cloud saga. They seemed to pay me more than I expected, though that may have been due to the fact I was eating at cheap food stalls and only claimed for my $45 a night rooms.

It does pay to check the actual levels of cover and decide if they are adequate or if you're better getting some insurance from TID, or an annual policy if you travel regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back