Not open for further replies.

edy4eva

Seems it's not advertised anywhere:
Virgin Credit Cards | Virgin Money

10k VA points upon first spend
10k VA points and $150 VA gift voucher for spending $5k in the first 3 months
First year fee waived
0% BT for 6 months

Not a bad deal given it costs nil for the first year, the $150 voucher and getting the companion discount. It might actually be better than AMEX's card (two exceptions are the points earn rate and minimum credit limit).

VA website lists the deal without the voucher.

Thanks. Interesting that they've added the $150 voucher, which makes the card more attractive. As it stood, to get the 10,000 bonus points required spending $5000 - so, earn a point per dollar plus get 10,000 - and that's 3 points per dollar effectively, which is what one gets on the Amex Platinum Edge and David Jones cards all the time.

The best thing about that card is that, if one were short on points, getting up to four half-price trips a year for two people is pretty good value.

The other good point is that it's a Visa card and that it earns a point a dollar up to $1500 and half a point thereafter. I've got several direct debits (health insurance and water rates) that don't take Amex. Most of the other VISA cards that earn FF/Velocity points only earn at half a point a dollar, so that it's actually double the earn rate of typical VISA cards..
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
As it stood, to get the 10,000 bonus points required spending $5000 - so, earn a point per dollar plus get 10,000 - and that's 3 points per dollar effectively

Not quite. It's a $5000 spend requirement in the first three months. But as you've noted.....

it earns a point a dollar up to $1500 and half a point thereafter.

..... so it's not possible to get a full 5000 points on your $5000 spend. By my calculations, 4750 points if you do it right.

getting up to four half-price trips a year for two people is pretty good value.

There's some caveats there, too.

• The cardholder must be one of the travellers.
  • It's up to four flight segments, not trips.
  • Still have to pay the taxes.
  • Not available on sale fares
  • Flights subject to availability
  • 30 day advance booking required
  • "Conditions apply"

Last edited:
Not quite. It's a $5000 spend requirement in the first three months. But as you've noted.....

..... so it's not possible to get a full 5000 points on your $5000 spend. By my calculations, 4750 points if you do it right.

There's some caveats there, too.

• The cardholder must be one of the travellers.
  • It's up to four flight segments, not trips.
  • Still have to pay the taxes.
  • Not available on sale fares
  • Flights subject to availability
  • 30 day advance booking required
  • "Conditions apply"

Hi Colin, you are correct - I overestimated how many points one gets from the Virgin card while trying to qualify for the bonus points.

The flight sectors is a good point. So basically one can only get two return trips on a one city to one city basis, or one return trip to a place requiring an airport stop along the way.

The 30 day advance booking could be problematic for some, though I don't see it as a big issue for say retirees.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
Has anyone applied for this? The link works but the 'apply now' button goes to a 'link not found' page. May apply for the advertised one, since the only difference is the $150 voucher but interested in knowing if anyone had any luck with it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back