Utilising the QANTAS AMEX Ultimate Free Flight [QF Spend Required?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Back in about March I took advantage of the Ultimate offer and signed up for Amex.

One of the offers is of course a Qantas Free Flight.

I went to book it today and was told I have to have spent something with Qantas first, presumably on Amex, which I haven't done.

But the thing is that I did not recall that qualification at all.

Looking at http://www.australianfrequentflyer....tas-ultimate-american-express-75-a-81601.html (March 8) I see this entry from exceladdict

• A complimentary return flight on Qantas, after your first QF Air Australia spend (PM me for an easy way to do this),

So clearly it was in practice then. But was there a rider to this previously? I had combed the terms and conditions before I signed up and I just do not recall any such provision. Perhaps I missed it. Could any confirm that this has always been there? Unfortunately I no longer have the terms so I am relying on the online info but I am hoping someone can confirm or deny that I am crazy!!

Thanks
Paul

You should be able to spend a small amount on a carbon offset at this website:

https://www.qantasfutureplanet.com.au/

Make sure the offset is >$1. This triggered the free flight for me and several others when it was mentioned on an older thread some time ago.
Thankyou noname. I have done as you say but I will now check with AMEX.

They pointed me to the very last page, very last entry of the terms and conditions which never mentioned Carbon Offsets - although I had seen it elsewhere. I will report back.

Thanks!

Thankyou noname. I have done as you say but I will now check with AMEX.

They pointed me to the very last page, very last entry of the terms and conditions which never mentioned Carbon Offsets - although I had seen it elsewhere. I will report back.

Thanks!

Keen to see how this pans out.
Hoping to accrue some SC's with the Amex voucher and qantas citi mastercard discount fares.

I'm not optimistic perthjay85 but will ring Amex flight handlers tomorrow

Why are you not optimistic? This method has worked for several people on here previously.
Wait for the transaction to clear and show up on your points statement. There will likely be a button to expand the transaction which will then give a message s saying to ring some number to redeem your free flight. You won't be eligible for anything until the transaction shows in the points section of your account so ringing up tomorrow won't help you.

I have previously booked a Qantas business class flight for way in advance (Sydney to Gold Coast is the cheapest), and then once I have claimed the reward I cancel the flight. Business class flights come with a full refund including credit card fees so it is free, just ties up some cash for a month or two.

I have previously booked a Qantas business class flight for way in advance (Sydney to Gold Coast is the cheapest), and then once I have claimed the reward I cancel the flight. Business class flights come with a full refund including credit card fees so it is free, just ties up some cash for a month or two.

I'm not sure that's in the spirit of the program, but your choice.

Why are you not optimistic? This method has worked for several people on here previously.
Wait for the transaction to clear and show up on your points statement. There will likely be a button to expand the transaction which will then give a message s saying to ring some number to redeem your free flight. You won't be eligible for anything until the transaction shows in the points section of your account so ringing up tomorrow won't help you.
I will be patient. Thank you!

I have just taken up the offset offer that NoName mentioned.

Will just wait and see. Do Amex send you a message saying the offer becomes active?

I didn't have the Amex when I originally purchased some flights but have since made an upgrade bid. If I am successful & pay with the Amex would that trigger the free flight availability?

NoName - thankyou so much! It def did work. $1.94. It took a couple of days to show up but the little plus is there with the sign.

I think the big takeaway for me is that AMEX Call centres just didn't have the sort of level of distinction that a Carbon Credit was included.

Much appreciation

qantas.png

Last edited:
NoName - thankyou so much! It def did work. $1.94. It took a couple of days to show up but the little plus is there with the sign.

I think the big takeaway for me is that AMEX Call centres just didn't have the sort of level of distinction that a Carbon Credit was included.

Much appreciation

View attachment 104721

Awesome to hear!

So I presume that this method will also work when the 2 Qantas Club Lounge passes are included with the card after your first Qantas spend as of 31 October.

I don't see a + in my account next to several Qantas uses? What am I doing wrong?
Assuming you are eligible for a flight, you need to trigger the + with the correct type of purchase! Hotels, holidays and all the rest don't do it. See NoName's post above...

Assuming you are eligible for a flight, you need to trigger the + with the correct type of purchase! Hotels, holidays and all the rest don't do it. See NoName's post above...

It's a new card. Maybe I have to pay the first statement just received. Qantas purchases have been for flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back