US Platinum/Centurion Benefits Australians don't get: No FX fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardoc

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
American Express Eliminates Foreign Currency Fees USA Centurion and Platinum cards - FlyerTalk Forums

American Express to Eliminate Foreign Currency Transaction Fees on U.S. Platinum and Centurion Cards | Business Wire

Another example of a benefit that needs to come to Australia - no 3% foreign currency conversion fees for Platinum and Centurion. It's already up and running for US based cards.

I had a US trip last week that would have involved a serious Amex card workout had it not been for the fees - as it happened, it all went to the 28 Degrees Mastercard....

Horses for courses markets unfortunately.

In the same way that our country's retailers can very much get away with instituting surcharges for cards.

Nothing short of a mass revolt or revolution against oppressive credit card companies in this country could force their hand on this issue.

agree it would be a big attraction, but apart from 28deg not much else doing that in australia.
frankly i would be happy if amex gave us chip and a tap'n'go feature...

on that matter just got a new personal fbt free cabcharge fastcard (only to be used between office and home) which is super easy to use.

frankly i would be happy if amex gave us chip and a tap'n'go feature...

They can't even get a promo right. Why would you expect that they can introduce new technology in Australia?

Even NZ Amex cards (certain co-bank with BNZ ones I believe) have "liquid" anti-skim technology. But... why bother introducing similar technologies in Australia.

Please do, Im waiting for the day that I could use my Amex overseas, instead of my NAB gold.

Hey, spare a thought for those of us who regularly purchase air tickets in countries other than Australia. ;)

Not only do we get done by currency conversion fees and credit card surcharges, but the puny size of our market does us in on ex-AU fares.

better to make a complaint and let amex aware.

I did that already - I rang Platinum Services and gave them the links above and asked them to record it as a suggestion for the marketing division - and commented that a fairly large regular overseas spend would be appearing on my Amex rather than the 28 Degrees Mastercard if only they would drop the currency conversion fees. I'm not sure what good it will do, but the person on the phone noted that it hadn't even appeared on their internal bulletins - apparently details of what's happening on international Amex cards gets advertised in their bulletins, even if they're not being launched here.

Anyway, if more people contact them and ask about it, you never know...

I did that already - I rang Platinum Services and gave them the links above and asked them to record it as a suggestion for the marketing division - and commented that a fairly large regular overseas spend would be appearing on my Amex rather than the 28 Degrees Mastercard if only they would drop the currency conversion fees. I'm not sure what good it will do, but the person on the phone noted that it hadn't even appeared on their internal bulletins - apparently details of what's happening on international Amex cards gets advertised in their bulletins, even if they're not being launched here.

Anyway, if more people contact them and ask about it, you never know...

Good work Beardoc, it drives me crazy that Amex and others charge the FX fee. Would love for Amex to drop this, would make them even further ahead of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back