Tipping FA

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Quickstatus, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Quickstatus

Quickstatus Established Member

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    Has anyone tipped FA?

Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMoreā€¦

2. Princess Fiona

Princess Fiona Senior Member

May 22, 2009
    NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    No, why would I ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    For doing their job and earning more money than I earn?

4. kelvedon

kelvedon Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    So do you tip the QF chauffeur?

5. ckck

ckck Member

Jul 31, 2011
    I usually give them a box of chocolates to share just as I board. Show them my boarding pass and give the FA the choccies at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. slc767338

slc767338 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yes. If they are a good, personable driver I may well send $10 or $20 their way.

7. opusman

opusman Established Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Melbourne
    Some people on here like to make themselves feel special by handing out chocolates, "apparently" it's appreciated rather than being seen as patronising.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sprucegoose

Sprucegoose Senior Member

Aug 20, 2003
    SE Aust
    No need to tip well paid people with money just compliments

• Like Like x 1
  9. Quickstatus

Quickstatus Established Member

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    Was looking through news.com.au and saw this. One of the ten hacks recommend tipping FA!

10 airport hacks that will change how you fly | News.com.au

AFF members will read this and instantly recognise that the journalist who wrote this has not researched the topic very well if at all. Another example of "quality" journalism just to fill content space.

10. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Ha yes I find that one funny. I've got quite a few FA friends and they've all said such gestures make the giver look like a bit of a nut.

11. anat0l

anat0l Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2006
    Brisbane
    No - of course not. There's absolutely no need at all to tip FAs, unless you have some other unorthodox motive.

12. blackcat20

blackcat20 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I must be a nut then, but I did enjoy my J drinks and snacks in Y.... ;)

13. trippin_the_rift

trippin_the_rift Established Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Travel + Data
    Facebook:
    Some airlines like Emirates check staff belongings to ensure nothing was taken off the plane during the flight.
    While I don't know how this would play out with a Tip it would have to make the FA uncomfortable about their job.

Chocolates are a nice idea but unless you're in the highest cabin possible, or you're staff - it comes across like you're trying to bribe them.

14. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Senior Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Nope never been guilty of this course of action - but I always give small chockies to SQ Lounge staff in MEL.

Best gift you can ever give SQ FAs is to fire off an 'appreciation' email to SQ's feedback address naming individual or even all crew members in your cabin that day - crew will fall over themselves to give you a list of their names - competition so great in SQ that these little notes rate really highly internally.

15. blackcat20

blackcat20 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I also send an email to the airline after a long haul flight to let them know how great my FA was (if they were). I either get an email or phone call in return which is nice. Nothing wrong with letting a company know that their staff are doing a great job.

16. PaulST

PaulST Established Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Wollongong
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Probably enjoyed them as much as everyone else in the same cabin class who got the same drinks and snacks. :) Yep, you're a nut. ;)

17. boomy

boomy Senior Member

May 10, 2013
    MEL and BNE
    The article suggest tipping the FA may lead to a better service. This is clearly not a tip but a bribe. What's next? Slipping the lounge angel $20 for an op-up or maybe $50 to the hotel receptionist for a suite upgrade?

18. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Senior Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Have you never done this? $50 in LAS in Sept got me a room upgrade for 5nts to a room worth $100 more than I booked and paid for.

19. clazman

clazman Established Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Perth
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    What happened to the good old thank you and if they went above and beyond a quick email to management to say thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  20. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    I still do this.I do tell whichever staff how their service was above average.Always followed up with an email to the airline.AA always responds,QF don't.
    Have had occasions where the same staff on a future flight and they then thank me for emailing the airline.