Telephone bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mis5P

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right area for this question.
Just wanted to know what the best credit cards to use to pay optus + telstra phone bills and other utility bills and still earn points?

TIA

There's often a surcharge for a credit card. Use PayPal instead.

There's often a surcharge for a credit card. Use PayPal instead.

Greater the surcharge, greater the earn ;) . Isn't that the 'point(s)'?

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right area for this question.
Just wanted to know what the best credit cards to use to pay optus + telstra phone bills and other utility bills and still earn points?

TIA

I can't say which is the 'best' but I don't think telecoms are any different from general expenses payable by cc - so a Plat Amex would be good, as is my CBA plat AMEX. I think some Qantas branded cards will earn extra with Optus.

Greater the surcharge, greater the earn ;) . Isn't that the 'point(s)'?

I can't say which is the 'best' but I don't think telecoms are any different from general expenses payable by cc - so a Plat Amex would be good, as is my CBA plat AMEX. I think some Qantas branded cards will earn extra with Optus.

The issue is by using some of the Amex products directly, there is a reduced earn compared to paying through PayPal with an Amex card as the source of funding.

I haven't had an Amex card for a little while, but that was the case a couple of years ago.

I know that this is a bit unorthodox, but I often used to pay my Optus bill in $1 increments using a Bankwest Qantas debit card. The card earns 5 QF points per transaction, and $1 was the minimum amount Optus would allow per transaction. Not sure about Telstra, but they may even allow 1 cent transactions. My $90 bill would earn me 450 points per month using this method, and cost me $0.90 in surcharges (1%).

Telco bills are fine with most point paying cards. Only Amex direct issued cards pay at half rate (assuming they've had to drop their merchant fee to compete with MC & Visa) but using PayPal is currently getting full points. Though I've noticed some like Vodafone don't have a PayPal option when paying via post bill pay. Amex points issue currently not affecting bank issued Amex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back