Suggestions for Qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Some random thoughts I've had lately about how Qantas can improve it's product. I'm sure many will disagree, but what do you think they can do to improve?

Boarding experience

• Can be improved, alot. Generally all order goes out the door when the flight is called. Priority boarding almost never used or enforced, and when it is, mobs just stand in the way blocking the entrance. The only reason I like to get on early is so that I can secure some precious cabin storage space, which can be a challenge!

Business Class

• Please improve the amenity kit. There must be alot of waste. I generally take out the "lip balm" for my wife and throw out the rest.
  • As a guy, I like to have a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream and a *sharp* razor. You could include a cologne sample or some such. Get rid of the cheap lookig pencil case bag. I think Emirates does a good job here.
  • The business class seat on the A380 is great. Please roll out to the rest of your fleet, such as the 747s. The older product is falling behind the competition (certainly compared to EK, SQ, CX, etc).
  • Better selection of magazines and reading material please on long haul flights (why not some National Geographic, T3, Wheels, my wife would ask for more women's magazines)
  • The movie and tv show selection is great, as is the music selection. See below for other AVOD suggestions.
  • Internet access?

First Class

• great product on the A380. A pity that you are phasing it out on most routes, but presume this makes financial sense. Just lends to the perception that Qantas is "cheapening" without the first class offering, so Qantas really needs to make business class *outstanding* to counter this perception.
  • Amenity kit is much better than business class, but I just have a feeling that this kit should be the standard in business class, and first should have something really special.
  • PJs are a nice touch, although regularly run out of my size.
  • What else could make the F class experience truly memorable? Limo service (although business class offering with Emirates), really personalised service (Air France collects passengers in limos and transfers them to other terminals when they are in transit)
  • Personal bar (eg Emirates already offers on their A380 business class)
  • Internet?

On Board Entertainment

• Qantas could really improve this, ahead of all other airlines, if Qantas entered an alliance with someone like Sony (Playstation), Microsoft (Xbox 360) or Nintendo (Wii) - really improve the offering beyond the 1980s level of gaming.
  • Combined with internet, could offer some real options.

Duty Free

• What am I really likely to buy on a plane? Probably last minute gifts rom wherever I was just visiting. Why not include some local specialties depending on the port of departure, for people to buy as gifts / souvenirs?
  • Why not some really 'in-demand' products such as iPads?

Frequent Flyer Programme

• Please add something beyond 2400 Partner Gold? BA seems to have offerings such as free upgrades, a "gold list" and a "Concorde" membership level.
  • Beyond Life Time Gold? Why not offer Life Time Platinum. Just make it hard to get if you are really concerned.
  • FF programmes appeal to the 'hubris' in people, so Qantas needs to appeal to this. Otherwise FFs will shop around for the best offers. Got LTG, Platinum plus PG, will get status with another airline/programme. Give them a reason to stick around...
  • Offer a way to achieve CL level. Just figure out how many members you want, do some analysis and workout what criteria you need to keep it at that level.

Cheers,

J

Some random thoughts I've had lately about how Qantas can improve it's product. I'm sure many will disagree, but what do you think they can do to improve?

A good swathe of suggestions, but you're right - we won't agree on all. So let me comment on what you have (geez, here comes a long posting)

Boarding experience
Can be improved, alot. Generally all order goes out the door when the flight is called. Priority boarding almost never used or enforced, and when it is, mobs just stand in the way blocking the entrance. The only reason I like to get on early is so that I can secure some precious cabin storage space, which can be a challenge!
No jokes here. On international thankfully it is enforced...about 95% of the time (at least IME - YMMV a lot!). I don't see why QF find this so hard to do. Most boarding is done dual lane, what's wrong with having a sign "Business etc." and "Other". I guess a problem is that what do you do when a pax rolls up to the priority line when they are not entitled to do so? Do you send them back (possibly wasting time)? Or, instead of boarding two lines at a time where one line is priority and the other is non-priority, what if you call priority first (families with small children, Business, etc.) then call the rest (a la USA style)? At least it's a little easier here to tell those who aren't entitled to priority boarding to sit back down. But does this mean you can board an aircraft just as fast as they do it now?

Business Class
Please improve the amenity kit. There must be alot of waste. I generally take out the "lip balm" for my wife and throw out the rest.
As a guy, I like to have a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream and a *sharp* razor. You could include a cologne sample or some such. Get rid of the cheap lookig pencil case bag. I think Emirates does a good job here.
Have they stopped giving toothbrush, toothpaste and shaving cream? You've got to be kidding me.

As for the razor, it is sharp enough for my needs, and should be for most unless you're Chuck Norris. I like the current bags better than the large flat hard clam-cases, but in both cases the bags are easily reusable, even for non-toiletry related purposes.

It's actually not as easy as one would think to get a good J kit these days, let alone even a good amenity case. For example, the following J amenity kits suck: SQ, VS, UA, BA (accessories are OK), LH. VA doesn't look that bad, but I couldn't split between the QF J and VA J (except, I suppose, VA gives you deodorant, whereas QF only gives F pax the same item in their amenity kits).

If anything, perhaps QF could make their J kits a little bigger, and a darker shade of colour for the male kit bag.

From my experiences on a good range of airlines, most people do not take amenity kits with them. This includes some better ones out there, like CX, NZ and even EK.

The business class seat on the A380 is great. Please roll out to the rest of your fleet, such as the 747s. The older product is falling behind the competition (certainly compared to EK, SQ, CX, etc).

Ditto. Truth be told, though, I sleep just as well on QF's Skybed compared with other flat seats, although I don't like herringbone seats myself. Plus, leather seats and me don't get along well (no surprise I'm not endeared by VS J's offering).

I think the whole 10 degrees of difference debacle - whilst it seems to some people to make all the difference - has been really, really blown up much more than it deserves. I think that the widespread critique of lie-flat as opposed to fully-flat beds is more psychosomatic than really genuine.

Better selection of magazines and reading material please on long haul flights (why not some National Geographic, T3, Wheels, my wife would ask for more women's magazines)

I suppose they've attempted to be as gender neutral as possible. National Geographic wouldn't be bad. T3 might not be appropriate as the front cover may offend. Women's magazines ditto to a smaller degree, plus there's nothing that makes a magazine rack look more trashy than ever by adorning it with gossip magazines. (I'll eat my words if there is already one on the standard rack...)

The movie and tv show selection is great, as is the music selection. See below for other AVOD suggestions.

And yet people say that it's not good enough when EK runs a system which offers thousands upon thousands of AV offerings. Come on - who can honestly listen and watch all of that before they are rotated?

Internet access?

Every airline's fantasy (and small reality in the USA).

First Class

great product on the A380. A pity that you are phasing it out on most routes, but presume this makes financial sense. Just lends to the perception that Qantas is "cheapening" without the first class offering, so Qantas really needs to make business class *outstanding* to counter this perception.

Agreed. It's a shame that commercially its going like this, although around the world a similar trend is being noticed, with the exception of the USA (whose F product has never been anything to write home about) and the Middle East (who can probably be perpetually relied upon to supply F all the time until the oil runs out).

For the rest of the world, unfortunately F is becoming a dying breed, and airlines rolling out the 3 class concept (J/W/Y) are finding better successes than those with F. It's even a funnier irony when the FFP members of airlines which do not have F complain bitterly that they cannot redeem premium award seats on other airlines which do have F! With dwindling F seat numbers of late do you really think they'd be smart enough to put two and two together... ('No, they are that dumb', you say? Spot on...)

Amenity kit is much better than business class, but I just have a feeling that this kit should be the standard in business class, and first should have something really special.

If the F kits were standard in J then that'd be great, although by that time I really would like to see what they would offer as an F kit, what you would call something really special? And no a golden-edged case woven with fine silk would not float my boat.

It's a nice case and looks sturdy - good there. Nice accessories from Payot and ticks off most of the essentials (but we are a very discerning bunch, of course). I hear EY gives their F pax something that looks like a small netbook bag or the like. Cute, but that sounds like overkill to me. All I want is a nice case of decent size that isn't a shoe bag (urgh...). And all accessories in the kit - none of this "hand around a basket and take what you want" B.S. (I'm looking at you again, VS!). If you are really, really concerned, have the staff set up a container where unopened, unused amenity items can be dropped off. These items can either then be repacked (if completely unused), or, for example, donated.

PJs are a nice touch, although regularly run out of my size.

Which size is that, out of interest?

What else could make the F class experience truly memorable? Limo service (although business class offering with Emirates), really personalised service (Air France collects passengers in limos and transfers them to other terminals when they are in transit)

I agree - QF could really improve their ground service with F, especially in SYD, the supposed flagship international port for QF, and hardly is at that. Probably doesn't help having the blowhard incompetent MAp running the show at SYD, but surely QF must have a muscle to flex that they could use to their advantage and really create a premium experience for their F passengers. Something like even a completely segregated F section with immaculate fixtures, porter-at-kerb service ... similar to SQ's at T3. Dedicated immigration and security would be nice, but probably can't pull it off. Ditto with expedited pathway from security to F lounge (MAp of course will have a field day par nauseum if anyone should even consider trying to bypass their "precious" duty free jungle).

Personal bar (eg Emirates already offers on their A380 business class)

This I don't agree with. Personal bars are tacky and not worth the space.

I think QF could make their self-serve areas nicer (cf. the "metal" look of just having a hole in a galley wall), although the A380 J lounge is not a bad idea if they would have a self serve area in the lounge area. Too bad they haven't designed the lounge to accommodate more people (and probably would be contentious e.g. for Pacific flights due to LOTFAP's stupid "anti-congregation" laws). But having a bar with attendant all the time doesn't shine with me. I fronted up to VS J's much-promoted signature bar which had a FA behind it. I sat down, had a drink, took a photo and noticed the semi-mirror on the ceiling. Then I decided - big deal. (On top of that, VS's bar selection sucked, except for the vodka which wasn't bad).

In F, if QF could improve their call bell attendance times, then having to call a bell and have a drink prepared and delivered to you is almost as good. How about training F staff to mix basic IBA coughtails? That'd go down a bit of a treat.

On Board Entertainment
Qantas could really improve this, ahead of all other airlines, if Qantas entered an alliance with someone like Sony (Playstation), Microsoft (Xbox 360) or Nintendo (Wii) - really improve the offering beyond the 1980s level of gaming.
Combined with internet, could offer some real options.

Duty Free
What am I really likely to buy on a plane? Probably last minute gifts rom wherever I was just visiting. Why not include some local specialties depending on the port of departure, for people to buy as gifts / souvenirs?
That would be nice, although I'm wondering whether there's a whole bunch of legal and customs issues one would have to work out for particular local specialties.

Why not some really 'in-demand' products such as iPads?
Because you would have enough annoyed passengers p*ssed off that QF stocked 50 iPads on the plane but the front section of Y already bought them all.

Not only that, but electronics all suffer the same problem - low margin. I don't think there's enough of a "halo effect" in offering a popular item like an iPad to stimulate the purchase of other items, simply because the context of buying the item on the plane changes people's spending habits immediately.

I really wonder how much QF make from inflight duty free sales anyway. My guess it doesn't make them a lot; in fact, I'd hypothesise that they'd be lucky to break even (after accounting for eventual disposal of aged stock that could not be sold).

Frequent Flyer Programme
Please add something beyond 2400 Partner Gold? BA seems to have offerings such as free upgrades, a "gold list" and a "Concorde" membership level.
FF programmes appeal to the 'hubris' in people, so Qantas needs to appeal to this. Otherwise FFs will shop around for the best offers. Got LTG, Platinum plus PG, will get status with another airline/programme. Give them a reason to stick around...

Yes please. Even something like continuous fixed points bonuses on milestones after 3000 SCs (i.e. a bolstered version of the loyalty bonus), and/or when you hit 4800 SCs (i.e. double 2400SCs), select another of the 2400SC level bonuses. How about two space-available one-class single-sector upgrade certificates, provided upgrades are redeemed at least 7 days in advance of a flight? For this I'd set the bar very high, something like 5000 - 6000 SCs. Other things like F lounge vouchers would be nice.... you can tell I'm running out of ideas here. I suppose they could consider gifts a la NZ do for their Gold Elites for Christmas every year.

Beyond Life Time Gold? Why not offer Life Time Platinum. Just make it hard to get if you are really concerned.

The problem is that the harder you create a level the more it has the potential to just annoy people. Of course, QF can also take the "soft" approach which is silently give people a benefit that is not published. The "get out" clause for them is that they can revoke it at any time, and there is no accountability. Not all good things, but we are used to unwritten benefits and blah-blah-blah not just on QF, mind you.

I'd advocate that if Lifetime Platinum were instigated then it should be 30000 lifetime SCs but only counting SCs which were earned on QF or JQ flights (i.e. marketed, not necessarily operated, which is fair since this lines up with QF's current rules).

Offer a way to achieve CL level. Just figure out how many members you want, do some analysis and workout what criteria you need to keep it at that level.

How to achieve CL level? Apart from possibly saving the life of a key QF big cheese (even then unlikely), basically work your way into a position of very high financial influence. Or spend millions on QF each year.

Again, publishing a "guideline" may just annoy people more than give them an incentive to try for it. CL isn't even very, very widely publicised, and I think it should stay that way, because in the end for those that don't have it and those that don't know of it, it really is not a big deal.

No jokes here. On international thankfully it is enforced...about 95% of the time (at least IME - YMMV a lot!). I don't see why QF find this so hard to do. Most boarding is done dual lane, what's wrong with having a sign "Business etc." and "Other". I guess a problem is that what do you do when a pax rolls up to the priority line when they are not entitled to do so? Do you send them back (possibly wasting time)? Or, instead of boarding two lines at a time where one line is priority and the other is non-priority, what if you call priority first (families with small children, Business, etc.) then call the rest (a la USA style)? At least it's a little easier here to tell those who aren't entitled to priority boarding to sit back down. But does this mean you can board an aircraft just as fast as they do it now?

AA do priority boarding really well, at least they did in my recent experience.

I know a few people think that AA boarding times are excessive but I don't necessarily mind that they take a little longer - what's important to me is getting overhead bin space.

In fact, I kind of view boarding priority & boarding duration as being two separate issues (despite one affecting the other).

With regards to QF I definitely do think that if a pax joins the wrong line they should be sent back to the correct line. I don't think this necessarily makes the boarding process longer than it would have been if everyone just joined the correct line in the first place (unless the pax decides to be difficult).

I think QFs biggest problem is that the signage they use for boarding lanes isn't at all obvious. AA sets a good example with respect to this.

Boarding experience

• Can be improved, alot. Generally all order goes out the door when the flight is called. Priority boarding almost never used or enforced, and when it is, mobs just stand in the way blocking the entrance. The only reason I like to get on early is so that I can secure some precious cabin storage space, which can be a challenge!

DJ do this well domestically. It is hard to understand why qantas can't. However it is probably a problem that they have to give priority boarding to gold and platinum, by default due to OW requirements.

[*]As a guy, I like to have a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream and a *sharp* razor.

The business kits I got in April and March both had a toothbrush and paste. Shaving cream, I got that in the first lounge. Razor, i had my own.

Offer a way to achieve CL level. Just figure out how many members you want, do some analysis and workout what criteria you need to keep it at that level.

Not sure if I should mention the obvious answer. They do offer a way to get CL, and they have set a criteria.

If anything, perhaps QF could make their J kits a little bigger, and a darker shade of colour for the male kit bag.

I asked about a female J kit in April and was told they are unisex.

I asked about a female J kit in April and was told they are unisex.

Could that be the reason they don't offer razors now? (If that is the case?) I don't fly J often, but when I do, I have been fairly happy with the kit, but there is always room for improvement. :D

Admittedly, I actually don't use much of the female cosmetics - I'd much prefer a unisex kit that has lip balm, a razor and shave cream, a toothbrush and toothpaste and my favourite (CX has these) a folding hairbrush/comb.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing QFs latest offering, but the zip-style case that CX offered several years back was ideal. I still use for my wetpack today and a couple of others I passed on to my nieces to actually use as pencil cases. They definitely leave that utterly useless QF flat-pack, which was on offer, for dead!! (Did anyone actually find a use for those woeful containers?)

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing QFs latest offering, but the zip-style case that CX offered several years back was ideal. I still use for my wetpack today and a couple of others I passed on to my nieces to actually use as pencil cases. They definitely leave that utterly useless QF flat-pack, which was on offer, for dead!! (Did anyone actually find a use for those woeful containers?)

I used one of the hard flat packs for containing my portable HDD and cable, along with my array of USB thumb drives. Well suited for the purpose, actually.

I agree that CX has better J kits; at least the cases are good for use as toiletry cases again.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I think the flight surveys are a pretty good way of QF getting current measurement of the quality of a flight from a week or two weeks ago.
They are getting quick input from these so it is very much their suggestion box.

The thing is.....Qantas do not actually want to improve their product. To be more accurate, they are delighted if an improvement can be made without it costing anything. Qantas are trying to cost-cut their way to success and (by all accounts) their management are thrilled with how that is going.

On international thankfully it is enforced...about 95% of the time (at least IME - YMMV a lot!).

Unfortunately not my experience with international. And when I do hear them call announce it, they don't enforce it.

Which size is that, out of interest?

Large - I guess the most popular.

Yes please. Even something like continuous fixed points bonuses on milestones after 3000 SCs (i.e. a bolstered version of the loyalty bonus), and/or when you hit 4800 SCs (i.e. double 2400SCs), select another of the 2400SC level bonuses.

Yes but please don't just offer another 50k points at 4800. I wouldn't bother.

The problem is that the harder you create a level the more it has the potential to just annoy people.

The problem is there are airlines which are arguably equal to or better, often offering more convenient routes and schedules, making it important for Q to give incentives for FFs to stick to them. You have Emirates, Singapore and Cathay all offering good options and sometimes better alternatives.

How to achieve CL level? Apart from possibly saving the life of a key QF big cheese (even then unlikely), basically work your way into a position of very high financial influence. Or spend millions on QF each year.

medhead said:
Not sure if I should mention the obvious answer. They do offer a way to get CL, and they have set a criteria.

Well I know that... I meant through flying. Even Emirates offers their IO level based on a very high level of flights in premium class - its tough but possible.

Well I know that... I meant through flying. Even Emirates offers their IO level based on a very high level of flights in premium class - its tough but possible.

There is one CL that I reasonably suspect got it by flying a lot in premium class. But the point is that qantas has done the numbers they have a criteria. Just because they don't advertise it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Boarding experience

I think this is fairly orderly, maybe what would be useful there is to include which rows are currently boarding on a monitor by the gate. That way people whom miss hearing the rows which are boarding (eg they are walking from the lounge to the gate) don't stand around wondering if it's their turn to board \ ignore the rows which are boarding and just jump into the queue.

Business Class

• Please improve the amenity kit. There must be alot of waste. I generally take out the "lip balm" for my wife and throw out the rest.
  • As a guy, I like to have a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream and a *sharp* razor. You could include a cologne sample or some such. Get rid of the cheap lookig pencil case bag. I think Emirates does a good job here.
  • The business class seat on the A380 is great. Please roll out to the rest of your fleet, such as the 747s. The older product is falling behind the competition (certainly compared to EK, SQ, CX, etc).
  • Better selection of magazines and reading material please on long haul flights (why not some National Geographic, T3, Wheels, my wife would ask for more women's magazines)
  • The movie and tv show selection is great, as is the music selection. See below for other AVOD suggestions.
  • Internet access?
Some consistancy across their fleet would be nice, pay the big dollars for a business class seat, if you don't know the A\C types you could easily get anything from a skybed to a "convertable" seat. Problem is there is no price difference between the two flights. Having been on a couple of flights in the "convertable" business class seat all I can say is I'm happy I wasn't paying.

First Class
I wish I could comment... :(

On Board Entertainment

• Qantas could really improve this, ahead of all other airlines, if Qantas entered an alliance with someone like Sony (Playstation), Microsoft (Xbox 360) or Nintendo (Wii) - really improve the offering beyond the 1980s level of gaming.
  • Combined with internet, could offer some real options.
AVOD on ALL flights. When flying was somethign I did once every few years I didn't care that main screen had the same episode of two and a half men on it each time. Flying every few days, and by the fourth or fifth flight I'd wanted to kill Charlie Sheen...
Some half decent games for the AVOD would be good... Of course AUX in for iPods \ MP3 players would also be good, but it is something I can live without.

Duty Free

• What am I really likely to buy on a plane? Probably last minute gifts rom wherever I was just visiting. Why not include some local specialties depending on the port of departure, for people to buy as gifts / souvenirs?
  • Why not some really 'in-demand' products such as iPads?

Don't really care about in-flight duty free. Most of my duty free shopping is done whilst killing time at airports.

Frequent Flyer Programme

• Please add something beyond 2400 Partner Gold? BA seems to have offerings such as free upgrades, a "gold list" and a "Concorde" membership level.
  • Beyond Life Time Gold? Why not offer Life Time Platinum. Just make it hard to get if you are really concerned.
  • FF programmes appeal to the 'hubris' in people, so Qantas needs to appeal to this. Otherwise FFs will shop around for the best offers. Got LTG, Platinum plus PG, will get status with another airline/programme. Give them a reason to stick around...
  • Offer a way to achieve CL level. Just figure out how many members you want, do some analysis and workout what criteria you need to keep it at that level.

1. For me, number one turn it back into a frequent flyers program rather than a frequent spenders program,
  2. make the levels required to achieve rewards reflect how frequently the person does fly,
  3. make the amounts of points that people need realistic for a frequent flyer only program (seriously you need to be both a frequent flyer AND frequent spender to get real advantage right now)
  4. allow people of any class the ability to request upgrades for any other class. It's all well and good having ff points, but I'm not about to spend 4 times as much for a flight on the "off chance" I may score an award seat. Award the upgrades based on who has requested them, obviously a person requesting J to F should be given the award over Q to F. If I want to increase my chances then yes I can always flying a higher class level (eg if I was to try for a J award I could always fly Y over Q)
  5. Open up on departure upgrades on points. I understand that QF may want to leave a couple of J seats open incase someone turns up at the airport and wants to buy it, but once checkin is closed and that high class seat would be going empty, why not upgrade someone who missed out on the first round of points upgrades?
These things would reduce QF's points liabilities, ensure that they are only giving award flights and upgrades to people who actually fly their airline, and builds good will amounst their loyal customers. If they wanted to keep the frequent spenders part of the program turn that into discounts, eg for every $100 you spend at a participating store or from a participating card you get a certain number of dollars off the cost of your next flight (upto a certain percentage)

There is one CL that I reasonably suspect got it by flying a lot in premium class. But the point is that qantas has done the numbers they have a criteria. Just because they don't advertise it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm 100% there is a criteria, but I doubt it has anything to do with flying, but more how much of qantas's bottom line can you affect. If you have the power to change numbers in qantas reports, they will probably issue you CL membership, even if you never flew.

And another call for WP boarding priority.

When flying domestic in Japan I enjoyed the following priority:
Children and people needing assistance and first class (if applicable).
One World Emerald,
Business Class, and then the rest.

Easy to follow with large signs which are flipped over as people are called forward. If you attempt premature boarding you are politely reminded that your turn has not yet been called.

Worked well, of course it is helped by people actually checking in luggage and having the bare minimum carry on.

I hate to generalise but Japanese people are usually a much more orderly bunch than us scrappy folk here down under. Boarding wise, I'm sure that helps. :)

I'm 100% there is a criteria, but I doubt it has anything to do with flying, but more how much of qantas's bottom line can you affect. If you have the power to change numbers in qantas reports, they will probably issue you CL membership, even if you never flew.

Maybe, but I'll stand by my statement that there is one CL that I reasonably suspect got it by flying.

The problem is that the harder you create a level the more it has the potential to just annoy people.

Again, publishing a "guideline" may just annoy people more than give them an incentive to try for it.

I really don't understand this anat0l. If you are adding a new level of benefits, surely they will be harder to achieve than "inferior" benefits. If this is the attitude of Qantas FFs, we'll never get any programme improvements. If you add a new level above Plat, for arguments sake, you will give FFs who have the ability to achieve that level an incentive to do so with Qantas.

Ok I have just booked an FASA for next year. Now if I decide to purchase a one way fare the other way I am condemned to paying the increased one way fare.

There needs to be a way to get a one way fare taking into account the fact you have already booked and paid a QF fare using points for the other leg of the trip.

Ok I have just booked an FASA for next year. Now if I decide to purchase a one way fare the other way I am condemned to paying the increased one way fare.

There needs to be a way to get a one way fare taking into account the fact you have already booked and paid a QF fare using points for the other leg of the trip.

Ahhhhhh.......No. There is not. Unless you are keen on JetStar. By the way, bad luck tonight, you were crucified by the umps; please god help me survive this ump love affair with the powder blues.

I really don't understand this anat0l. If you are adding a new level of benefits, surely they will be harder to achieve than "inferior" benefits. If this is the attitude of Qantas FFs, we'll never get any programme improvements. If you add a new level above Plat, for arguments sake, you will give FFs who have the ability to achieve that level an incentive to do so with Qantas.

Well lah-di-dah sorry for my contribution in retarding the development of your benefits :(

I personally think that the creation of new levels is useless. Create benefits for targets beyond Platinum, but not a whole new level above Platinum. If possible, create perpetuating benefits above Platinum (i.e. once above a certain threshhold as a Platinum, for every x SCs get a certain benefit, beyond the Loyalty Bonus of course).

If you add a level above Plat, do you really think it will give some an incentive to go for it? Those people who currently draw in that many SCs probably do so already without much consideration whether they are better treated by QF for doing so, so what incentive do they really have. Their incentive is however long they will fly with QF until such time they are annoyed or pi**ed off by the airline.

Would it give you an incentive, or would you simply jump on the bandwagon that will surely manifest itself on this forum expressing their right-royal sour-grapes outrage of being "deprived" of such higher-level benefits? It is the creation of new levels which will actively limit what new benefits are possible for existing levels, including Platinum, even if the current climate is pretty much an "enhancement" one, as we've witnessed (some of the new benefits of the new higher tier could've been given to Platinums instead). You also get this "reverse slippery slope" action where people at the new higher level then demand an even higher threshhold with even more luxurious benefits - and the cycle continues.

Useful perpetual, multiple-times-earning benefits (even if it only applies to Platinums above a certain threshhold) are what will keep them loyal to QF, even after LTG or even if a fabled LTP level is created. Examples include BA's program benefits beyond the Gold qualification tier, or BD's destination miles bonus after 55k.

As for CL... CL is invitation only - it is not in itself an incentive that one aims to get from QF but rather almost QF's way of actively headhunting for those who they want business of. And as others have said, there is a way to get it, but it is still invite only. You could kiss AJ's bum for all we care and you still wouldn't be a CL. So there really is no point in publishing how to get CL when it is strictly maintained as a QF tool for them to invite loyalty rather than as a way to reward those who devote loyalty. And if that makes you less loyal to QF then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back