Virgin
Silver
Oneworld
Emerald
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
I know of someone who spent 600k (of someone else's, I should add) points on a JQ PER-MEL return flight and thought they had a good deal by saving a few hundred dollars vs a cash ticket. Similarly, when arguing the value of comparative redemptions, many others have told me they "would never fly business class".
What's a round the world ticket in business class between friends? 😂
I've also found arguing til one is blue in the face won't change someone's mind on this - and perhaps, a (very) poor value Y redemption is enough aspiration to encourage them to keep shopping at woolies and paying the annual fee on a big four credit card they've had open for years.
A lot of people don't get it. They think it's slightly more leg room. Most don't appreciate what sitting on a lie flat for 15+ hours means! Then there are those who say, I don't want to spoil myself with business class because then I'll never fly economy. Well der, that's sort of the point ain't it?
If there was no aspirational value still ascribed to Qantas points, it would be very difficult for QF to sell them. I don't feel that's the case right now. That said, I've noticed referral offers on the QFU card trending down - so perhaps things are changing (or as others have said, the finance sector doesn't need to offer as many carrots right now?)
I would argue more carrots are needed given rising interest rates meaning those who irresponsibly carry a balance month-to-month (i.e. the credit card company's ideal customers) might be less tempted to take out debt and save more (despite the fact that saving is the absolute worst thing you can do in an inflationary environment).

What I will say, and I must apologize if I trigger folks on the forum, but I think it's the truth, is that Australia doesn't have much of a credit card market. I think part of that is credit cards are highly discourage with many merchants tacking on transaction fees thereby eliminating most benefits of points accumulating cards. The fact that you have to pay a credit card surcharge when booking a QF flight should tell you everything you need to know. Elsewhere in the world, such actions are either illegal or explicitly banned by credit card company's merchant T&Cs. I will also point out that AmEx isn't widely accepted in Australia as it is elsewhere, and arguably AmEx has the best credit cards out there. What's the point in holding an AmEx Qantas Ultimate card if it can't be used at more than half the places you shop at?

Looking at my Canadian wallet, I see a number of credit cards which I would argue you would never find in Australia:
  • AmEx Platinum with $700 annual fee that has almost all the perks of the Australian card (including guest access into Centurion lounges which US cards won't have next year)
  • AmEx Marriott Bonvoy card - $120 annual fee but you get a 35,000 point Marriott stay voucher, 15 nights stay credit and Marriott Silver
  • BRIM Financial Mastercard - No annual fee credit card with no forex fees (my go to card when buying some things in AU)
  • TD Aeroplan Infinite Card - $139 annual fee but Aeroplan points no longer expire, you get a statement credit for applying for NEXUS (Global Entry), and you get things like free checked bags for you and up to 8 passengers on Air Canada operated flights
-RooFlyer88

Elsewhere in the world, such actions are either illegal or explicitly banned by credit card company's merchant T&Cs.
Are they really? Or just nobody does it and it's simply expected that you don't charge a Credit Card surcharge based on other merchants not doing it?

Are they really? Or just nobody does it and it's simply expected that you don't charge a Credit Card surcharge based on other merchants not doing it?
Varies from region to region. In some states in the US it is outright banned such as in Massachusetts. Even if it isn't outright barred, it is either frowned upon or not allowed by the credit card company. Even if the winds change and it somehow becomes allowed in regions, I suspect many folks who have been using credit cards for decades fee free, will simply stop patronizing businesses that impose the fee, particularly in an inflationary environment. Why should we bear the cost of those transactions when the cost can be passed on to consumer who insist on paying by cash or debit?

-RooFlyer88

I'm not sure on the reason, but card payment surcharges don't really seem to exist outside of Australia and NZ. It seems to be the norm in Australia now with almost every shop and business tacking it on, even places that only accept card payments so there's no way to avoid the surcharge!

The other thing I've noticed in my travels is overseas restaurants and cafe's are more than happy to split bills and many waiters ask/offer it upfront and will walk around to each person on the table with a portable card machine, and no surcharge. Meanwhile when I dine out back home there's signs of NO SPLIT BILLS everywhere.

I'm not sure on the reason, but card payment surcharges don't really seem to exist outside of Australia and NZ. It seems to be the norm in Australia now with almost every shop and business tacking it on, even places that only accept card payments so there's no way to avoid the surcharge!

The other thing I've noticed in my travels is overseas restaurants and cafe's are more than happy to split bills and many waiters ask/offer it upfront and will walk around to each person on the table with a portable card machine, and no surcharge. Meanwhile when I dine out back home there's signs of NO SPLIT BILLS everywhere.
In Berlin a few months ago five of us had a meal at a restaurant. The waiter didn't blink an eyelid at splitting the bill three ways.

Must be getting more common then. I don’t eat out in group a hell of a lot but we had a group of about eight of us in Adelaide for AFF a month or two ago in a pub and no problem to split the bill and also a couple times down here in Tas, out with so group of 4; again, no problem to split the bill. Long may it continue!

I think that sometimes they mean that they won't individually tally up what each person had to arrive at multiple different amounts. Splitting the bill makes no difference to them except maybe three minutes of their time swiping the machine. The table themselves works out the amount they have to pay.

Back