Register on Qantas Website for an Additional 10,000 Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just registered for this but I won’t be signing up for a new card since I already have 4 from the list. I just hope that earning points on the cards I already have will still count to qualify for the bonus.

Just registered for this but I won’t be signing up for a new card since I already have 4 from the list. I just hope that earning points on the cards I already have will still count to qualify for the bonus.
Can't see how that would occur.

Terms state (inter alia):

'a) register for the offer at qantas.com/sunrise by 11.59pm (AEST) 19 August 2018; b) apply and be approved for a Qantas Points earning credit card that appears on qantas.com/cards; and c) use your Qantas Points earning credit card to make eligible purchase and have these points credited to your account by 11.59pm (AEST) 1 November 2018. '

(Qantas Points earning credit cards | Qantas Frequent Flyer)

So register first. Then apply for a new card. Then use that new card. Order seems clear.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how they handle this with their IT code.

'a) register for the offer at qantas.com/sunrise by 11.59pm (AEST) 19 August 2018; b) apply and be approved for a Qantas Points earning credit card that appears on qantas.com/cards; '

So register first. Then apply for a new card.

Not sure where you got the "then" from.

I agree that there's potential for IT mishaps, but they seem to be favouring QFF more and more these days.

'a) register for the offer at qantas.com/sunrise by 11.59pm (AEST) 19 August 2018; b) apply and be approved for a Qantas Points earning credit card that appears on qantas.com/cards; '

So register first. Then apply for a new card.

a) and c) have dates on them but b) doesn’t so there is nothing to say when the card has to be applied and approved for unless it is assumed that the steps need to be done in order.

I am just waiting for some bonus points to arrived for my current cards so once that happens I will cancel them and see if I can apply for a new card in time just to make sure I will qualify.
It doesn’t hurt to register even if I don’t end up qualifying for these bonus points.

a) and c) have dates on them but b) doesn’t so there is nothing to say when the card has to be applied and approved for unless it is assumed that the steps need to be done in order.
A, B, C etc. I though it was obvious that it was sequential.

A, B, C etc. I though it was obvious that it was sequential.

Actually, the website states:

How do I get the 10,000 extra bonus Qantas Points?
  • Visit qantas.com/cards and choose the best card for you
  • Make an eligible purchase on your new card before 20 September to ensure that the points you've earned from your purchase are credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account before 1 November 2018
  • And then, 10,000 bonus Qantas Points will be yours!
So, no A, B, C or even a, b, c - although they may appear elsewhere in the fine print. :)

That said, I agree. Sequential actions strongly implied. :)

Yeah but think about it. How would QF know when you'd applied for a card? All they know is when the first points come through.

Yeah but think about it. How would QF know when you'd applied for a card?.
Two easy options:

1) Simple data matching exercise.

2) Match your new application to use of the provided link (via a tracker code).

Last edited:
The other interesting thing is when you click on T&C it just goes in a loop so I can't actually read the T&C or have I had too much red wine

The other interesting thing is when you click on T&C it just goes in a loop so I can't actually read the T&C or have I had too much red wine
Likely. The terms (there's no such thing as terms and conditions that's like saying dogs and beagles) are clearly stated and you agree to them by accepting the offer.

Last edited:
Two easy options:

1) Simple data matching exercise.

2) Match your new application to use of the provided link.

Data matching? Ever heard of the Privacy Act?

Qantas are not the ATO. They don't have access to banking data.

Data matching? Ever heard of the Privacy Act?

Qantas are not the ATO. They don't have access to banking data.
Indeed. I've even read it :)

Ever heard of clicking an 'I agree' button or link? Legally these are known as click wrap or browse wrap (although these are not the same things) agreements. You can give up what you may think are your rights to privacy as well as agreeing to many other things perhaps without even realising it. Have a very close look at what you may actually be agreeing to by clicking an icon or a link or simply by visiting a website. I've done a lot of work in this area, providing expert advice, representing people and publishing internationally on the topic. I'be seen people blindly giving away their rights just by clicking a hyperlink. And I've seen extreme terms provided in agreements where people have agreed to give away their mortal souls!

'By placing an order via this Web site on the first day of the fourth month of the year 2010 Anno Domini, you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul. Should We wish to exercise this option, you agree to surrender your immortal soul, and any claim you may have on it, within 5 (five) working days of receiving written notification from gamesation.co.uk or one of its duly authorised minions'
(Have You Accidentally Sold Your Soul Lately? - Freakonomics)

People can and do contract out of statutory protections. If you don't think is possible then I invite you to point to a specific section of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which says you can't do this.

And in any case the second of the options I suggested above would be exceptionally easy to monitor.

Last edited:
I just submitted an application for a card and there was no such "I agree" button.

I just submitted an application for a card and there was no such "I agree" button.
There are a variety of ways in which terms can be incorporated into a contract. An 'I agree' button is just one of those ways. What is happening in this area of the law is that traditional concepts such as reasonable notice and course of dealing are being re-adapted for the online world. This is a complex area of the law which is still evolving, but if you're interested and want to improve your level of current understanding, here's a good current book on the topic:

Electronic Contracts, 2nd edition

I know the author. He's an accredited international expert in the area of contract law and the points I have made link specifically to the content of the book.

Last edited:
I don't believe that the T&Cs of a credit card can override the bank's duties under the Privacy Act.

Let's face it.

*More ambiguous T&Cs with a Qantas offer.

*More scope for debate whether someone has qualified or not and the sequence of events required to qualify

* More trust needed that QF will have IT systems capable to handle this ( ha ha ha ha)

* Qantas might change their T&Cs part into the offer anyway, just as they did with the recent DSC offer.

All the speculation above just guess to show what we are in for as this rolls out. Register, but then expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

Would be interesting to have an actual lawyers view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back