Recent Amex Edge - bonus points not posting (discussion & post success/failure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOPOOR

Established Member
I'm in the same situation. I also have another AMEX, and the person on the phone said I won't get the bonus points because I was an existing card holder.

NOT IMPRESSED.

I'm starting to to think thats the case too. I haven't got my bonus points for my edge.

Are you saying that for those that have any other amex or who have had a Explorer before?

Surely it can't be right either eay

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't rang up to enquire about the bonus points yet, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll report back after the call.

Quite possibly, AMEX have finally closed the loophole and bonus points are no longer posting for existing card holders.

Quite possibly, AMEX have finally closed the loophole and bonus points are no longer posting for existing card holders.

Someone did quoted earlier in the post that AMEX is doing a round of updates on their IT system which eventually closing this loophole. Possible that this is up and running considering fellow AFFers are not receiving the points.

Newbie here. And I'm still learning. But all the above talk about accounts deleted and points missing has me worried.

Are the points being not credited because they already are an existing amex customer? I thought having a gateway and separate Explorer is fine. Or is happening only when you have them merged?

I currently have an Explorer only and was in the process of doing the whole edge thing as well. And now getting worreid

what is so bad for against the terms and conditions that linking is no good,

or is it the delinking and then the linking thats triggering the cancellations

i currently only have gateway and explorer, im going to apply for edge and to link it,

I sincerely hope it will work for me

well everyone, my first amex card, I made my minimum purchase a few days ago, points credied, am a very happy happy amexer

thank you for everyones help!!
now off to apply for plat edge :)

Hmm that's interesting. So an existing amex card holder is affected.

Which means it's better to do the 100k bonus first and then hope for the Plat edge 10k bonus

ok eveyrone, finally got my plat edge after getting my explorer about 3 weeks ago

ive done the minimum spend for explorer, got the bonus,

will be doing minimum spend on edge from today
ordered my supp cards,

for linking do people recommend I do it after getting the plat edge bonus points?

I'm starting to to think thats the case too. I haven't got my bonus points for my edge.

Are you saying that for those that have any other amex or who have had a Explorer before?

Surely it can't be right either eay

I applied mid to late Jan.
Credit check done 23rd jan

Approved before Feb 1 if I recall.

Didn't get my points

anyone got any suggestions on what to do to get my bonus points

applied and approved late Jan

Didnt get my points, called and enquired, got told it was becuase I already had another one, and they will ivnestigaet and call back

they havent called back yet, been almost a week

looks like you know already the answer to this

my suggestion is to have some patience, what is happening here is correct you are not supposed to get any bonus points when you already hold another amex, luckily however people have been getting the bonus points on consecutive cards but not all, looks like you were just unlucky. Ringing Amex will just highlight the loophole more. Also lucky you went for the higher bonus points earning card first.

my suggestion is to have some patience,

when you say have some patience? are you recommedning I wait or hope that a different staff will issue it to me

when you say have some patience? are you recommending I wait or hope that a different staff will issue it to me

My guess is more that you need to appreciate that with loopholes that just because someone else gets a benefit that you will not necessary gain the benefit too.

In this particular scenario points tend to post automatically after the qualifying spend. So you will either get them, or not, and no amount of calling will change that outcome, and moreso as you already know that the terms state that you are not meant to get it and have also been told by a CSR that in your case this will be so.

So basically I think it is time for you to move on. Think of it like a horse race and that you have not back the winner in this particular race. Pestering the judges will not change the outcome. There are many other horses to back in other races.

PS. If I am understanding you correctly you are talking about an Edge Bonus.

my suggestion is to have some patience, what is happening here is correct you are not supposed to get any bonus points when you already hold another amex, luckily however people have been getting the bonus points on consecutive cards but not all, looks like you were just unlucky. Ringing Amex will just highlight the loophole more. Also lucky you went for the higher bonus points earning card first.

My guess is more that you need to appreciate that with loopholes that just because someone else gets a benefit that you will not necessary gain the benefit too.

In this particular scenario points tend to post automatically after the qualifying spend. So you will either get them, or not, and no amount of calling will change that outcome, and moreso as you already know that the terms state that you are not meant to get it and have also been told by a CSR that in your case this will be so.

So basically it is time for you to move on. Think of it like a horse race and that you have not back the winner in this particular race. Pestering the judges will not change the outcome. There are many other horses to back in other races.

PS. If I am understanding you correctly you are talking about an Edge Bonus, and this is the Explorer thread. So probably also time to move on from this thread with repeated questions about not achieving the Edge bonus.

thank you for your replies you two, not the answer I wanted but a great one,

i might give it a rest, now to work out whether I can link the gateway to ascent, and not lose the $200 and $400 travel credit,

ive been reading what eveyrone has been posting here, but not losign the travel credit and linking seems to be a hit and miss

thank you for your replies you two,
not the answer Iwanted but a great one,

i might give it a rest,now to work out whether Ican link the gateway to ascent, and not lose the $200 and $400 travel credit,

ive been reading what eveyrone has been posting here, but not losing the travel credit and linking seems to be a hit and miss

Is the minimum $1500 spent registered on your gateway account? If not, putting through another $1500 spend before the CUTOFF PERIOD might do the trick (just a mere suggestion and not sure if it will work). Earlier posters on this thread have posted about getting bonus points after 2nd $1500 spend. Can always pay some of your regular household bills in advance ...

Is the minimum $1500 spent registered on your gateway account? If not, putting through another $1500 spend before the CUTOFF PERIOD might do the trick (just a mere suggestion and not sure if it will work). Earlier posters on this thread have posted about getting bonus points after 2nd $1500 spend. Can always pay some of your regular household bills in advance ...

yes ive put in 10k so I dont think this is going to work :( I can only hope though

Eh, how come in the first post I'm being quoted? I don't have any issues with my Amex Edge.

Can anyone who missed out on the bonus 15,000 confirm if they are still eligible for the $200 travel credit? If so, I may still have a crack because the referral points for a dear friend, $200 voucher and worthwhile offers far outweighs the $0 price tag. Not sure why folk are complaining.

Can anyone who missed out on the bonus 15,000 confirm if they are still eligible for the $200 travel credit? If so, I may still have a crack because the referral points for a dear friend, $200 voucher and worthwhile offers far outweighs the $0 price tag. Not sure why folk are complaining.

I did not miss out. But the $200 travel credit is a clear benefit of the card and so you will 100% gain it.

what if you had an amex card within the last 18 months but dont have one currently. Would you still get the bonus???

just wondering what people have done recently,
obviously bonus points are generally posted automatically by the system
if the system hasnt its usually because your not technically elgiible, for it

I didnt get mine, is it worth pursuing?, or asking for a review or simply saying "other people have got it, can I have it to"

I raised an invesitgation about 2 weeks ago, and a call back within 24 hours, but they didnt call back

just wondering what people have done recently,
obviously bonus points are generally posted automatically by the system
if the system hasnt its usually because your not technically elgiible, for it

I didnt get mine, is it worth pursuing?, or asking for a review or simply saying "other people have got it, can I have it to"

I raised an invesitgation about 2 weeks ago, and a call back within 24 hours, but they didnt call back

As per my previous advice to you it is time for you to move on with respect to your missing out on the sign-on bonus in this instance.

With loopholes if you get it great, but if not, do not draw attention to it by contacting the company concerned.

As for raising an investigation. Please no.

With loopholes "other people have got it, can I have it to" = you alerting the company that they have a problem, shut it down please!

Loopholes are called loopholes for a reason. Loopholes by their nature also mean that not everyone will always get them. In this specific case there are ample forum reports stating that Amex has decided to recently clamp down.

If you are entitled to a benefit etc because it is listed in the offer, terms etc, then yes follow up. If it is a loophole then no.

PS: This is also generic advice on all loopholes. Please do not pester the various companies with loopholes when you miss out as it will only assist in shutting down loopholes for all. You just try the loophole and if it works for you all well and good. If you miss out, then you just move on. This applies to promo codes, offers, mistake fares , mistake hotel room rates, glitches on making bookings etc etc.

Last edited:
what if you had an amex card within the last 18 months but dont have one currently. Would you still get the bonus???

This is still unknown.

There are now a number of posts by forumites indicated that as of about 31st Jan 2017 that Amex seem to now be enforcing this term, or least they are applying it more often.

However off the top of my head the people who have reported not gaining the bonus so far have all had another current Amex.

This is still unknown.

There are now a number of posts by forumites indicated that as of about 31st Jan 2017 that Amex seem to now be enforcing this term, or least they are applying it more often.

However off the top of my head the people who have reported not gaining the bonus so far have all had another current Amex.

Yep I agree, still in the unknown category, but if I was applying for a card with a big bonus say the Charge, I'd probably hold off until there was some more clarity around that. If it is just for the Edge, and you are planning on making use of the cards benefits anyway, then it matters a lot less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back