Status
Not open for further replies.

WWTFC

Intern
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
My first post - have been recommended to Amex platinum with the free flight and 5000 points on first use.
Concern is about being able to use Amex everywhere - do places like Woolies and Coles take for everyday type stuff?Can you use the card often or is it too selective with merchants?

thanks in advance
WWTFC - stands for my favourite football club

Yes you can use your Amex at Woolies and Coles. I find more places take Amex then not.

Thanks Slats 7

If can use at most places then is it worth the $450 fee?

WWTFC

Last edited:
As slats 7 mentioned, it's accepted at Coles ,Woolies, I.G.A. and all the other majors, plus fuel outlets etc.,
As far as the $450 fee, it depends where you use your free QF flight from/to as to the end cost.

Cheers Dee

I don't think the benefit worth $450, not at all.

Out of interest - why is that? The card can earn 1.5 points per $ spent which is not bad and is not tied to QF's program. The difference in price between the Amex plat and another card could be made up by the value of the free flight.

AFAIK, the card is actually $395 / year, unless it has gone up recently. Have you been quoted $450?

AFAIK, the card is actually $395 / year, unless it has gone up recently. Have you been quoted $450?

I think he is referring to the Amex Platinum Charge card, and not the Platinum credit card. I am aware the points for the credit card (after the change) you could not auto transfer points direct to QF which is why I had to apply for the Amex QF Premium Card.

I think he is referring to the Amex Platinum Charge card, and not the Platinum credit card. I am aware the points for the credit card (after the change) you could not auto transfer points direct to QF which is why I had to apply for the Amex QF Premium Card.

But the charge card is $900/year....:?:

And welcome to AFF WWTFC!

I find my Platinum Amex (credit card) good value as a PER-MEL-PER or PER-SYD-PER flight is taken by me at least once a year, so $400 is a cheap airfare :)

Sounds to me like the Qantas Amex Ultimate card @ $450 per year. So if you can earn 1.5 and get a decent domestic flight out of it can be very good. However I think you need to have a reasonably high spend on that card to get full value. I have been lucky enough the past few years to put thru several $100k on this card and its off to see the world!
C.M.:mrgreen:

WWTFC,

The other consideration for you is the value of the associated Travel Insurance. That may increase the value for you.

Some people actually believe the $900 for the AMEX Platinum Charge Card is great value due the combination of:

1. AMEX Platinum Credit Card is included,
  2. Free flight as mentioned by others,
  3. Excellent Travel Insurance,
  4. Free Priority Pass lounge access etc.

WWTFC,

The other consideration for you is the value of the associated Travel Insurance. That may increase the value for you.

Some people actually believe the $900 for the AMEX Platinum Charge Card is great value due the combination of:

1. AMEX Platinum Credit Card is included,
  2. Free flight as mentioned by others,
  3. Excellent Travel Insurance,
  4. Free Priority Pass lounge access etc.

And concierge service :)

Thanks for all the answers - really helpful

the card is the Amex Qantas card @$450
the 395 one is a general Amex card
the 900 is Amex platinum

Not sure which is best value there are also 2 other level Amex Qantas cards - both cheaper.

I think the main difference with the $50 one is 5000 points on first spend plus 2500 on first spend on qantas product.

A return trip Adelaide to Brisbane would help us as we'd basically get 2 for one when going to friends in Qld.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated - dont seem to have balance transfer offers with Amex but mate reckons the 450 is good value.

Thanks again
WWTFC - hopefully we beat North Adelaide tomorrow

Thanks for all the answers - really helpful

the 395 one is a general Amex card
the 900 is Amex platinum

Not sure which is best value there are also 2 other level Amex Qantas cards - both cheaper.

I think the main difference with the $50 one is 5000 points on first spend plus 2500 on first spend on qantas product.

A return trip Adelaide to Brisbane would help us as we'd basically get 2 for one when going to friends in Qld.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated - dont seem to have balance transfer offers with Amex but mate reckons the 450 is good value.

Thanks again
WWTFC - hopefully we beat North Adelaide tomorrow
WWTFC,

See my post #11 above.

Also a minor correction of your post,
the $395 one is the Amex Platinum Credit Card
the 900 is Amex Platinum Charge Card which gives you a bunch of other advantages, the best of which is a brilliant Travel Insurance package.

Thank you for all the replies - has been most helpful.

Changing cards is fun (not). My current cards have served me well but now I want FF points - my old cards not linked to any FF scheme.

Trying to get best value is difficult given the benefits and costs and point earns are so different with each card.

Any other hints or recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers
WWTFC (and we won)

Thank you to all who responded - in the end have applied for the Qantas Ultimate card.

Time will tell if a good move.

Col D
(and my team WWTFC won again)

Just an update - got the $450 Qantas Amex platinum - have not done anything we would not have done anyway this weekend but have gained almost 10,000 points being first use etc. car service, lunch with friends and dinner for anniversary.

Service at Amex on phone has also been excellent - have been able to answer all queries without any hassle - so after one weeks use am very happy.

Col D
(and the WWTFC are in the finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back