Query about value of points - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahlee

I was wondering if anyone has set a recent AU$ value on both Qantas FF points, and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer points? I am trying to work out if it's worth spending $379 in fees to earn 68,335 KF points, or $197 to gain 45,255 QFF points. (looking at paying ATO BAS bills on credit card, trying to justify the credit card surcharge).

Also I am thinking that in an effort to get a reduced annual card fee (or get the fee waived) with AMEX I will tell them that I am going to go elsewhere (i am thinking of changing to Westpac KF Platinum, which I have just been approved for). Will they consider that they are losing my business, with me going with their competition, or since both are AMEX cards, will they not care?

Apologies in advance if these questions have been asked before, or are a little ignorant! I have not been able to find much info by searching the forums...

In case it's relevant, I always use my points for international travel....

Last edited:
Paying BAS on WESTPAC KRIS would get you a tax deduction (subject to your accountants view) so ask him/her first.
SQ Kris has excellent availability for longhaul J but the redemption fees are higher.
I would not bother if you want to travel in economy as the likes of AIR ASIA are very cheap for very basic longhaul.

Is that a quarterly BAS?
If so,you may want to use the American Express version even though the cost is higher by about 18 cents per point you get the points quicker to go somewhere really nice in J.
SQ Kris points earned thru Westpac expire after 3 years so you have to go for it.
3 times that BAS number would get you to Europe in J on the point and a half deal from Westpac Kris PLATINUM AMEX so that would be in just over 180 days time!
Naturally it would be just over 60 days if the BAS is monthly.
The math goes something like this:
200k points costs about $1,667 plus taxes of around $800 and you are pretty much there and back.
The SQ retail value is way higher than this number for Europe in Business Class so it gets down to the real question which is:
"How good is that?"

Last edited:
I use my points primarily for premium cabin awards.So looking at QFF-282500 points needed,DONE4=$11000-less taxes for award plus usually cant get exact trip I want so may spend~$3000(eg in US for YUP/KUP fares).So value of 282500 QFF points to me is~$7000,so 40000 points is ~$1000.
It really does depend on what each individual wants as to what value points have.

On most of our J redemptions domestically on QF out of PER the retail value of 36,000 points is about 5 cents to SYD.
96,000 each way to LAX can be worth between 3 and 6 cents retail per point out of SYD or MEL.
That is why so many play this game.

Everyone values points differently. For me I prefer to fly economy (would not waste money on long haul business class) and I can still get decent value out of QFF points and/or Kris Flyer Points.

For QFF points I would generally spend them on an economy Oneworld award which requires 140,000 QFF points and is worth ~$3,000 if you take out the taxes and surcharges. So that is ~2 cents/QFF point.

For Kris Flyer miles I can generally get 1c-1.5c/mile value during low season but this can increase to ~2.5c/mile value during high season. A recent redemption for my mother SYD-ATH economy return cost ~80,000 Kris Flyer miles + ~$600 in taxes and surcharges. The airfare was worth ~$2,400-$2,700 when my mother had decided that she wanted to go.

I would not bother if you want to travel in economy as the likes of AIR ASIA are very cheap for very basic longhaul.
I have not had the pleasure of flying Air Asia yet but I am having extreme difficulty convincing myself that anything more than 2-3 hours would not be classed as torture.

I have not had the pleasure of flying Air Asia yet but I am having extreme difficulty convincing myself that anything more than 2-3 hours would not be classed as torture.

I was tormented for an hour by the thought of flying to Shanghai with them for $240 next year, until I did a bit further looking and discovered that (Shanghai) is an airport 200km away and they get in at midnight, making a transfer an interesting and costly experience at the end of a long day. It was touch and go regardless as I have read of others experience where they drop new routes at short notice, so a JASA with QF instead was much better value than spending $240 in this case.

Thanks for all the help - I figured the best way to calculate the value to me was to do a spreadsheet of flight costs (low & high season), the points required, and the taxes charged when making an awards booking. Very interesting. It seems for me best value for each (based on economy fares, on trips that interest me) is:

QFF: Buenos Aires during peak season. Worst value was going to Europe off-peak.

KF: Travelling to either Asia or Europe during peak season. Worst value was going to LAX during off-peak.

Thanks to the feedback I got from other members, I learned the value of points really depends on your individual flight needs. I found after taxes are removed from the equation, the points value ranged between $.008 and $.033, based on my personal travel needs. Definitely worth paying the BAS with either AMEX or VISA!

And our country needs you paying your taxes as so many are retiring now.
Paying BAS on a great credit card should put a big smile on your face.
Points can be worth a lot or very little ....it depends on how well you use them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back