Qantas Horror Story (and AA heroes)

Hey there AFF readers. I have been a lurker, then a member for a while, but have not been active before. A recent experience with Qantas shocked me to my core, as a life-long QFF and loyal customer. I thought I would post this here as a warning, and to get advice from others who are more experienced travellers. Also, I it is worth noting how AMAZING the American Airlines staff were. This story started quite some months before taking our actual journey overseas.

We have been funnelling business spend through Qantas and their affiliated points programs. This is for both business and personal expenses, including wine, health insurance, petrol, plus a large monthly credit card spend via AMEX, MasterCard and VISA; all going to Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Typically, accumulating approximately 50,000-100,000 Qantas points per month.

Around 2 months before commencing our journey we booked our trip on the Qantas Classic Awards program. Some great business class flights came for approximately 450,000 points for 2 passengers. The flights were from Miami returning home to Melbourne and went via New York to Tokyo, which we confirmed was a valid transfer without a visa. Fast forward a month and we received a notification from Qantas that some changes had been made to our flights. This included a shorter layover in New York which reduced our time in Japan so that it was now impossible to make the connecting flight to Melbourne (arrived an hour after it was supposed to take-off) The connecting flight was with Qantas and purchased at the same time! After several days went by, we were notified that further changes were made, which finally adjusted the layover times yet again (now adding a 30 hour layover in Japan) so we thought they had detected the issue and left it alone.

So we started our trip and were nearing the end of it, when I came across an article on social media purely by chance regarding Japan. It that they would ‘soon’ be allowing foreigners to enter the country with a VISA – but not yet. At once this raised concerns for us as we knew we needed to transit from Haneda to Narita to make our connections. It turned that if you had to stay overnight or enter the country, you would be in violation of their covid laws.

We immediately started trying to contact Qantas via phone. This proved extremely difficult as the wait times were very lengthy and there was no number to reach for travellers overseas with current problems to their flights. It took approximately 15 phone calls and over 10+ hours on the phone, having to speak with around 10 different representatives to make any progress. We explained the situation again and again, each time giving a phone number to call back on if the call dropped. No one would ever call back (calls would often drop out) and they ABSOLUTELY refused to ever put us on to a supervisor; despite being asked more than 50 times. Each call to Qantas would incur a 15 minute to 1+ hour wait on hold, before we would have to explain again that it wasn’t possible to take the current flights booked as we didn’t have a VISA for Japan and could be deported or imprisioned.

Finally, on one of the many calls and after an hour or so of being told this was not their responsibility in any way, that were no other options for flights, we managed to get a change made that added in an additional leg to Chicago. This had us leaving Chicago and arriving to Tokyo, Narita instead of Tokyo, Haneda. This was even into the same terminal as the departing flight to Melbourne (T2). We confirmed with the Qantas representative multiple times that our bags would be checked through to Melbourne and we would not have to leave the terminal to clear immigration in Japan; thus, be OK to land without a VISA and transit in Narita.

The evening of starting our return trip, we arrived at Miami airport well before our flight and started our check-in process with the American Airlines business counter. The representative handed us our tickets all the way to Melbourne and was about to place our checked bag on the conveyor belt when we queried why the luggage tag only showed to Narita. The AA rep told us we would simply need to clear customs at Narita airport and collect our bag, then check it for the final leg of the journey back to Melbourne. We explained that we couldn’t do that because Japan wouldn’t allow us through to get our bag without a VISA.

It was at this point we realised we had a major problem. There was no way that Japan Airways would allow us to board that flight. We spent over 5 hours with the amazingly helpful AA staff, who had 8 different team members (including two senior administration staff) helping us throughout that time. The staff tried to call OneWorld, then Qantas, both of which told them it was our fault and that there was nothing they could do to help us. This was further frustrating the American Airlines team (of who we weren’t even really customers), determined to make sure we got home, who were all being very understanding of our situation but were limited in what they could do due to the flights being booked through Qantas and completely locked to them.

Finally, after more than 5 hours at the desk, where one of the AA staff was on hold to Qantas for 1 hour and 58 minutes (as he put it “a new coughking record”), they managed to get us new flights that would leave Miami the following day to Dallas Texas, then Sydney and finally Melbourne. This was only made possible by the American Airlines staff putting a hold on 2 premium economy flights from Dallas to Sydney with Qantas, then insisting for over an hour to Qantas the flights on hold were available and that they should be assigned to us, so we wouldn’t be stranded. AA arranged for us one of their domestic flights free of charge and made several changes internally before the Qantas staff would even consider making this change on their end.

The final moment of absurdity was when Qantas finally agreed to unlock the flights so that AA could process it, they then told the AA rep “it can’t be done as these passengers are already on the flight to New York”. In exasperation he had to again tell Qantas, the passengers are standing in front of me at the desk (we had already spoken to Qantas on that call, which further shows you just how far from reality they actually are). This change meant we not only didn’t get to see our very good friend in New York, but we had to pay out of our own pocket for a hotel the night and we lost all our business class flights returning to Australia.

The AA staff would not accept tips for their incredible efforts, so we ended up buying food to help keep them there assisting us, as they stayed hours past their break; and then well past even the end of their shifts to assist us. The section closed 20 minutes after we arrived and we were there for 5 hours till most of the airport was closed. Qantas staff made no mention of what would occur to the $1500~ in taxes paid for the return flights not taken, nor the 450,000 points redeemed for business class tickets not taken.

Thanks to the help of American Airlines staff and our own persistence, we are now back in Australia, and yet there is still no mention of a reimbursement, credit or even an apology from Qantas. This entire experience not only cost us $1000’s of dollars, dozens of hours in wasted time while overseas, but also forced us to miss out on meetings/catching up with friends of which we hadn’t seen in years.

This was all since Qantas sold flights that were impossible to actually fulfill and assured us that there would be no issues with the routing, etc.

Throughout the entire process, every single Qantas staff we spoke to on the phone was extremely unhelpful and were very unaware of the damage and massive inconvenience this was causing us on multiple fronts. The only “solution” was simply to cancel our existing flights and book new ones at over 5x the cost (just for economy), and that we “might” get them refunded…

During our return journey, we attempted to speak to multiple Qantas staff on the ground and the same response was given each time. They were all “apologetic” and “sympathetic”, but nothing could be done as everything needs to be submitted online.

Hopefully this sheds some light to others on how the airline treats it passengers, especially the ones using their Frequent Flyer “rewards” program. The sentiment shown to us was at all times was that because we chose to book these flights with points, we were somehow beneath vermin “Oh it seems this was an award flight - ” (with disgust) “- sorry there is nothing that can be done to help you”

Even though the return flights alone cost approximately 450,000 points, which equates to around $500,000 spent with cards going to Qantas rewards program. You might assume they would show some more appreciation and respect for their more dedicated customers or failing that, just some understanding for Australians stranded overseas.

Sincerely,

S.B and B.B

Last edited:
The flights were from Miami returning home to Melbourne and went via New York to Tokyo (Haneda), transferring to Tokyo (Narita), then from there to Melbourne, Australia.
There was a similar thread earlier this year in relation to the root cause of your issues - Unlawful Tokyo transfer. Essentially, you're responsible for ensuring a connection is lawful. Ideally this would be before you book the tickets.

That's not an excuse for poor customer service following your realisation that you couldn't make the connection though. Likely you got in-experienced offshore call centres that looked at available flights and couldn't find an alternative.

Wonder if AA call the standard QF helpdesk when calling on your behalf.

There was a similar thread earlier this year in relation to the root cause of your issues - Unlawful Tokyo transfer. Essentially, you're responsible for ensuring a connection is lawful. Ideally this would be before you book the tickets.

That's not an excuse for poor customer service following your realisation that you couldn't make the connection though. Likely you got in-experienced offshore call centres that looked at available flights and couldn't find an alternative.

Wonder if AA call the standard QF helpdesk when calling on your behalf.
That was the point of my frustration. Maybe you missed that (it was a long post and parts are unclearly written), but the connection was legal to our understanding when booked. We didn't worry about visa stuff since we had a hour long layover.

Qantas changed the flights, adding a 30 an overnight layover in a different airport, and so made them illegal, for no reason other than, presumably, shuffling tickets around for maximum profit. I'll edit to clarify that. It still bugs me that a connection created by an airline could be made in violation of law, If I booked them through a third party or managed my own connetions fair enough. But if I am using a service such as Qantas booking, it should be on them to offer flights that are safe.

Last edited:

"Likely you got inexperienced offshore call centres" .. You think? 😆

I hope @Alecw sent feedback to AA via their website. My AA help story isn't quite so dramatic, but equally appreciated.

I had just boarded an AA bird in Belize City and realised that I had left my iPad in the departure gate. I asked a FA if she might radio the ground to see if it is still there. One of the pilots overheard this (I was in the J cabin before the doors closed). He said to the effect "No worries, I can have a look - give me a description & location". I did, and he de-boarded, walked back to the terminal (stairs & tarmac) and 10 mins later, came back with it and gave it to me :oops:

Last edited:
That was the point of my frustration. Maybe you missed that (it was a long post), but the connection WAS legal when booked. We didn't worry about visa stuff since we had a hour long layover from the same terminal originally.

Qantas changed the flights, adding a 30 an overnight layover in a different airport, and so made them illegal, for no reason other than, presumably, shuffling tickets around for maximum profit. I'll edit to clarify that.
The connection was still legal.
The airline doesn’t check if the pax has the appropriate visa / citizenship to enter the country when ticketing.

The shuffling tickets was due to changing schedules / Japan delayed opening.
Nothing to do with maximizing their profit at your expense.

Having said all of that your experience with the call centres was a nightmare that is all too common on here.

I don’t understand why the bags couldn’t be through checked to MEL by AA, especially given that they issued you the tickets through to MEL.
Whatever reason that was seems to have been something to do with JL or Japan.

That was the point of my frustration. Maybe you missed that (it was a long post and parts are unclearly written), but the connection was legal to our understanding when booked. We didn't worry about visa stuff since we had a hour long layover.
If the original ticket booked required a change of airports from Haneda to Narita, then you would have had to exit the airport and make your own way via ground to transfer to the next flight regardless of time of transfer.

You've edited your original post now, but the third paragraph mentioned this originally - The flights were from Miami returning home to Melbourne and went via New York to Tokyo (Haneda), transferring to Tokyo (Narita), then from there to Melbourne, Australia.

If the original flights were both arriving and departing from the same airport, then QF updated it, then it's slightly different. Though I'd still expect them to require you to accept the changes. Mis-information by phone on legality of connection is never good, but I would be inclined to double check for myself as well.

The connection was still legal.
The airline doesn’t check if the pax has the appropriate visa / citizenship to enter the country when ticketing.

I get that it was a 'legal connection' , PF, but Japan was closed to (effectively) all but citizens etc for what - 2 years? so it is highly likely that a random pax would not be able to use the Haneda/Narita connection. If an airline can create a 'married segment' and only ticket in certain ways, then I reckon they could have been able to put a block on this type of exceptional (at the time) connection OR at least put a step in that the pax has to accept the connection with the issue clearly flagged.

An imperfect analogy might be that a railway might ticket someone Broken Hill to Adelaide, but if there is a bridge down en-route, the ticket might be 'legal' but the routing is not achievable. I don't think it would be OK for the railway to say "Hey, sorry, but its up to you to check if the line is actually open to you."

If the original ticket booked required a change of airports from Haneda to Narita, then you would have had to exit the airport and make your own way via ground to transfer to the next flight regardless of time of transfer.

You've edited your original post now, but the third paragraph mentioned this originally - The flights were from Miami returning home to Melbourne and went via New York to Tokyo (Haneda), transferring to Tokyo (Narita), then from there to Melbourne, Australia.

If the original flights were both arriving and departing from the same airport, then QF updated it, then it's slightly different. Though I'd still expect them to require you to accept the changes. Mis-information by phone on legality of connection is never good, but I would be inclined to double check for myself as well.
Good points. I'll mark edits as such in future and I'll check exact sequence of events, we are discussing here. If the mistake was on their end and they gave me wrong information by phone a) would there be a record of that call? b) is there any recourse?

It was an absolute horror for us in transit and I am hoping I did not get a detail wrong here. Before I write a formal complaint to Qantas I will triple check the information, but they have helpfully removed the full history of changes from my booking history so I must rely on emails, half of which are deleted.

EDIT: I am absolutely sure that they told us the booking was legal and did not require any visa originally. I assumed they knew what they were talking about as such changes must have been routing (and there are very, very people with Japanese visas).

Sounds very stressful. AA sounds like they were very helpful.

In terms of the bag not being tagged through, is there a connection desk at NRT? In many airports you can request manual bag retagging while remaining airside.

We didn't worry about visa stuff since we had a hour long layover.
I am still confused - so the flights you originally booked had an hour long layover in Tokyo, in which time you needed to do a HND-NRT transfer, as well as normal check-in, etc?

EDIT: I am absolutely sure that they told us the booking was legal and did not require any visa originally. I assumed they knew what they were talking about as such changes must have been routing (and there are very, very people with Japanese visas).

It is the passenger's responsibility to find out about visas, permits or other such like. An airline may offer informal opinions on the phone but you cannot rely on it - they are not immigration agents, they do not know the law, and requirements change anyway.

The airline sold you a ticket that was usable provided you had a passport/visa and were admitted to Japan. It was a legal route. The airline cannot know whether or not you are able to secure visas, have particular citizenships, have Israeli stamps in your passport, have enough money or hotel bookings, etc.

IMO you did very well to find a sympathetic AA agent to rescue you. They didn't have to. On another day it would have been a Denied Boarding at your own loss.

Last edited:
So to those trying to blame the OP for not reviewing the need for a visa you need more lessons in detective work.
The OP said that they were flying into HND in the initial post and then catching a QF flight to MEL QF flies HND to MEL not from NRT therefore the original booking was legal and did not require a visa.
One hour is also a legal connection time for Japan. We on numerous occasions flew BNE-NRT-JFK with a 55 minute connection time. It was close on occasions but we and our bags always made the connection.

I am not surprised that AA went above and beyond as in 1996 they did the same for us when QF cancelled our RTW J award when the French had a strike and our flight CDG-JFK was cancelled.
AA didn’t bother ringing QF on that occasion but rerouted us via MIA and reissued our tickets on AA stock.

I am surprised by people still trying to defend QF. I switched years ago.

I am surprised by people still trying to defend QF. I switched years ago.

I am certainly not here to defend QF in a general sense. But I remember there was a similar post a few months ago that also said airlines should not be allowed to sell "illegal" routes. Both then and now, the issue is not that the route is illegal, it is that the OP was not legally able to fly it. If we stopped airlines from selling a ticket just because someone, somewhere might buy it and not be able to get the necessary visa, we would not have international travel at all.

I am certainly not here to defend QF in a general sense. But I remember there was a similar post a few months ago that also said airlines should not be allowed to sell "illegal" routes. Both then and now, the issue is not that the route is illegal, it is that the OP was not legally able to fly it. If we stopped airlines from selling a ticket just because someone, somewhere might buy it and not be able to get the necessary visa, we would not have international travel at all.
But you are wrong. A 1 hour connection has been legal for a couple of months. They did not have to go through immigration so no visa was required.
QF made the change that made it illegal by switching to a NRT flight.

But you are wrong. A 1 hour connection has been legal for a couple of months. They did not have to go through immigration so no visa was required.
QF made the change that made it illegal by switching to a NRT flight.

Yeppers, and it is the customer's responsibility to identify any passport/visa issues that a rerouting might throw up. E.g. I need a visa to go to the USA; if an airline offered me a reroute to Europe going east rather than west (hypothetically) it would be down to me to spot that, not the airline.

It is still a fact that QF made the mistake and they really should have known better than the OP.
An international airline selling flights with illegal connections should be out of business.

The representative handed us our tickets all the way to Melbourne and was about to place our checked bag on the conveyor belt when we queried why the luggage tag only showed to Narita. The AA rep told us we would simply need to clear customs at Narita airport and collect our bag, then check it for the final leg of the journey back to Melbourne.
Maybe there's a good reason for it, but why couldn't AA tag the bags through to Melbourne? I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible, AA and JL should interline their bags just fine especially because it would've been a JAL to JAL connection on the same ticket.

It sounds like the final NRT connection you had should be perfectly legal, if it wasn't for the bag issue. I would even go as far as to say the advice you received from Qantas over the phone is correct, you really should have been able to check your bags through to Melbourne.

Anyway, regarding the original ticket, I would generally agree that if QF changed your flight to require an airport change, they really should've informed you of the consequences of this (although I suspect it's because their systems are just not smart enough to pick this up).

The other issue is of course it should not have taken the amount of time and effort it took you to modify your flight to end up with a legal (for you) connection without a change of airport required. I am still trying to figure out what's up with the bags not being interlined though.

Last edited:
It is still a fact that QF made the mistake and they really should have known better than the OP.
An international airline selling flights with illegal connections should be out of business.

And as I have said before, I don't think it was a flight with an illegal connection - it was a flight that one particular passenger could not get a visa for - based on Covid rules that change with the wind. That's a different thing IMO.

OP, could you share the exact flights and their changes, so we can have a bit more context on how everything changed? Especially at what points were the flights seperate airports, and when were they the same? Assuming they were ticketed, I assume you would have e-tickets for each step in your inbox.

Around 2 months before commencing our journey we booked our trip on the Qantas Classic Awards program. Some great business class flights came for approximately 450,000 points for 2 passengers. The flights were from Miami returning home to Melbourne and went via New York to Tokyo, which we confirmed was a valid transfer without a visa. Fast forward a month and we received a notification from Qantas that some changes had been made to our flights. This included a shorter layover in New York which reduced our time in Japan so that it was now impossible to make the connecting flight to Melbourne (arrived an hour after it was supposed to take-off) The connecting flight was with Qantas and purchased at the same time! After several days went by, we were notified that further changes were made, which finally adjusted the layover times yet again (now adding a 30 hour layover in Japan) so we thought they had detected the issue and left it alone.

So we started our trip and were nearing the end of it, when I came across an article on social media purely by chance regarding Japan. It that they would ‘soon’ be allowing foreigners to enter the country with a VISA – but not yet. At once this raised concerns for us as we knew we needed to transit from Haneda to Narita to make our connections. It turned that if you had to stay overnight or enter the country, you would be in violation of their covid laws.

Finally, on one of the many calls and after an hour or so of being told this was not their responsibility in any way, that were no other options for flights, we managed to get a change made that added in an additional leg to Chicago. This had us leaving Chicago and arriving to Tokyo, Narita instead of Tokyo, Haneda.
My interpretation of this is this is the timeline
  • You originally booked on JAL from JFK to HND, and QF from HND to MEL
  • Something (most likely the JAL flight) got re-timed, causing this to not connect to the QF HND to MEL flight
  • Something else changed, I assume the QF HND to MEL flight was cancelled (it still hasn't been resumed as of now anyway), and you were put onto the JAL NRT to MEL flight. I assume this was then you ended up with in/out of seperate airports.
  • Finally after many phone calls to Qantas you were put in JAL ORD to NRT connecting to JAL NRT to MEL

Last edited:
The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back