Plat Card: Insurance cover point bookings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davem

Hi,

I've looked through the PDS and it says insurance is covered if you paid for in full with your credit card.

Problem is I paid for it by buying points then using those points to exchange for the trip (US Airways if this helps).

2 x buying points ($2400ish)
1 x Taxes ($200ish)
1 x Booking Fee ($50ish)

This shows up as a few lines in my credit card statement :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anyone know how I can contact Citibank and get some kind of "OK" that yes I am covered.

Otherwise i need to purchase separately and that's $170 I'd rather not spend if I don't have to.

I'm in Brisbane, Is there an office i can go and get a written straight answer?

Cheers,

Regards,

David.

To the best of my knowledge the only card that covers you if you have not paid using the card is the Amex Platinum Charge Card.

The Amex Platinum Credit Card requires full payment to have the travel insurance.

Which card did you use :?: From your post I am guessing that you are referring to the Citibank Platinum card and from what I have read you will need to buy the insurance. I hope for your sake I'm wrong and I'm happy to be corrected.

Citi platinum travel insurance is by Zurich. Call the number on the PDS and ask...

They will see it like this.... say you buy Joe a car and Joe buys you a boat in exchange. You didn't buy a boat at all....

1/Travel Insurance Direct....and you can geta further 10-15% off by applyinga proo code.

2/ FF redemption coverage with Citibank Card Insurance: From memory you would have needed to have earnt all of the points with them, and redeemed on an airline in their partner program...and even then it is nebulous.
= in your case not covered.

3/ Given the horrific medical costs in the USA, it is not a destination where you want to risk having good quality medical coverage.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge the only card that covers you if you have not paid using the card is the Amex Platinum Charge Card.

The Amex Platinum Credit Card requires full payment to have the travel insurance.

Amex Platinum Edge covers you if you use Membership Reward points to buy your flight and provides some cover domestically for your free flight.

Westpac Altitude Gold and Platinum also covers you if use Altitude points to buy your flight.

Some gold/plat cards also provide cover where points are credited to frequent flyer programs then redeemed for a flight - I believe Altitude Qantas and possibly ANZ Frequent Flyer may.

I'm not sure about Citibank cards though.

To the best of my knowledge Amex Plat Charge Card is the only card that provides cover just for being a cardholder, no matter how flights are obtained.

Hi,

Problem is I paid for it by buying points then using those points to exchange for the trip (US Airways if this helps).

I assume too, that you have only bought half the points, and took advantage of the recent bonus. Those bonus points, even if you were covered for the bought points, may not be covered thus making the whole lot not covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back