Status
Not open for further replies.

scheps

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
I always wondered whether paying the taxes after a points redemption ticket would cover me for travel insurance with my edge card, as it would be paying the full amount of the ticket depending on the definition of amount.

I just called AMEX.

They said, if you use MR points and TF to a FF program and book with those points, fully, then you are covered.

So i was going to use MR to enrich then pay with AMEX for the taxes, this will allow me coverage for travel insurance.

Hope thats been helpful, as i did not know this and given the recent TI policy changes, i would have thought this is would be relevant to more people holding the AMEX cards.

I think this was communicated around the time that the changes were announced. It doesn't actually makes things explicitly clear though. For example I have 350K QFF points and 280K Amex points. If I transferred them all to QFF and then booked a 250K award - am I covered? Did I use Amex points transferred to QFF or QFF points. Also if then booked a 600K point award - am I covered?

Take another example if I transferred all to QFF and then booked a 280K award, travelled and didnt make a claim then booked another 280K award am I covered - I could argue that the first award was using QFF points and the second was using Amex points transferred to QFF.

It just goes to show what a bag of cough the new rules are for Amex. Not documented, not clear and not useful.

if the cost of the ticket was same or less than the amount you transferred, then you are covered. If the case of 600k award, you wont be as you started with 350k QFF which was not earned through AMEX (you didnt say it was from amex).

I asked them the same questions. It's the same as paying. If you can prove you have paid with points or cash, fully, you are covered. If you have transferred the necessary amount then you are covered.

if the cost of the ticket was same or less than the amount you transferred, then you are covered. If the case of 600k award, you wont be as you started with 350k QFF which was not earned through AMEX (you didnt say it was from amex).

I asked them the same questions. It's the same as paying. If you can prove you have paid with points or cash, fully, you are covered. If you have transferred the necessary amount then you are covered.

But are you covered multiple times as per one if simongr's examples. Already have 250000+ points, Transfer 250,000 points, buy a 250000 point award- Travel and don't claim. Buy another 250000 award - travel don't claim. Get another award - travel need to claim. Are you covered? (assuming the points balance never goes below 250,000 at any time)

Sent from the Throne

Well I am covered.My Krisflyer points only come from Amex and I pay the taxes with Amex.So good to know.

But are you covered multiple times as per one if simongr's examples. Already have 250000+ points, Transfer 250,000 points, buy a 250000 point award- Travel and don't claim. Buy another 250000 award - travel don't claim. Get another award - travel need to claim. Are you covered? (assuming the points balance never goes below 250,000 at any time)

Sent from the Throne

I didn't ask that specific repeating sequence but they wouldnt know if you wanted cover, till you need to claim, and therefore the need to prove you are eligible. If your balance shows in anyway that non MR converted points contributed to the ticket, then you wouldn't be covered.

I am guessing now, but i wouldnt imagine there is a way to tag the converted points, as there is no way to choose when using your points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back