Paying Car Registration on Amex [WA]

Status
Not open for further replies.

samas

I received my WA car registration bill in the mail a few weeks ago and saw it as a challenge to try and figure out a way to pay for it via Amex.
They have the standard basic options on it like BPAY or Visa/MC via internet or phone.

Attempt #1:
As Australia Post accept Amex for postage products I thought I'd try pay it over the counter at Australia Post. But as soon as they load up the bill in their system they loose the ability to use Amex.
FAIL.

Attempt #2:
Oh they have new self service checkouts at the St George's Terrace Post Shop... Machine asks me to scan a barcode so I try all of the barcodes on the bill but none are recognised. No options to pay a bill on the GUI.
FAIL.

Attempt #3:
On the rear at the very bottom of the car registration papers is the POST billpay logo, but no biller code, just an instruction to go into a POST branch...
On the POST billpay website there is a biller list https://paypaperbills.postbillpay.com.au/postbillpay/BillerList.aspx which lists Department of Transport as Billpay Code 2360.
Hmmm, but is that Department of Transport in VIC, NT or WA...

Alas it appeared to be Victorian Public Transport fines: Vic.gov.au
At any rate I still didn't know my reference number (I assumed the BPay and POST billpay reference numbers are different).
FAIL.

Oh well, VISA it is this time.
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

But I did discover that I can pay my council rates via Amex via PostBillpay next time :)
Will have to explore all the options again next year in case something changes.

Last edited:
I've found I don't care that much when I can't use Amex these days, now that I've got a M/C that gives 1pt/$ :)

Can you pay in an office by EFTPOS (not a Post Office)? If so, XS may be the answer.

I received my WA car registration bill in the mail a few weeks ago and saw it as a challenge to try and figure out a way to pay for it via Amex.
They have the standard basic options on it like BPAY or Visa/MC via internet or phone.

Attempt #1:
As Australia Post accept Amex for postage products I thought I'd try pay it over the counter at Australia Post. But as soon as they load up the bill in their system they loose the ability to use Amex.
FAIL.

Attempt #2:
Oh they have new self service checkouts at the St George's Terrace Post Shop... Machine asks me to scan a barcode so I try all of the barcodes on the bill but none are recognised. No options to pay a bill on the GUI.
FAIL.

Attempt #3:
On the rear at the very bottom of the car registration papers is the POST billpay logo, but no biller code, just an instruction to go into a POST branch...
On the POST billpay website there is a biller list https://paypaperbills.postbillpay.com.au/postbillpay/BillerList.aspx which lists Department of Transport as Billpay Code 2360.
Hmmm, but is that Department of Transport in VIC, NT or WA...

Alas it appeared to be Victorian Public Transport fines: Vic.gov.au
At any rate I still didn't know my reference number (I assumed the BPay and POST billpay reference numbers are different).
FAIL.

Oh well, VISA it is this time.
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

But I did discover that I can pay my council rates via Amex via PostBillpay next time :)
Will have to explore all the options again next year in case something changes.

Look at it this way: If you do ever crack it, Amex will no doubt "enhance" it so that you only get 0.5 points per $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back