No more complimentary flight for NEW AMEX Edge card

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxxnxs

AMEX has now removed complimentary flight benefit for new Edge card applications, instead, you will be given $200 travel credit each year to use, which is similar to Explorer. The existing customer is not affected by now, but just the matter of the time.

I would like to see this as an option for exisiting customers as the return flight isn't as useful to me as the travel credit would be

Ah well, gives me incentive to sign up for the new ANZ card and upgrade to the AMEX Explorer.

I would like to see this as an option for exisiting customers as the return flight isn't as useful to me as the travel credit would be

The flight was of no interest to me either so I had been holding off on this card, I assume the $400 Explorer and $200 Edge credits can be combined and used for a single booking?

That's disappointing as I found that you could normally get more than $200 of value from the return flights.

I presume that at least the $200 voucher can be used on any airline, and not just VA?

That's disappointing as I found that you could normally get more than $200 of value from the return flights.

Indeed. I got about $380 of value out of mine.

I presume that at least the $200 voucher can be used on any airline, and not just VA?

Or a hotel booking or presumably anything that can be booked by Amex Travel.

For PER based customers, this would be a massive downgrade as the flight redemption value is alot higher for us.

Saved more than $650 booking two weeks out for my Edge flight.

For PER based customers, this would be a massive downgrade as the flight redemption value is alot higher for us.

Saved more than $650 booking two weeks out for my Edge flight.
Agree, I'm now considering a second tilt at the QF Ultimate instead of going to the Edge.

Agree, personally for me I'd rather have the credit than the VA flight, so I don't have to fly VA ;)
Would be good to have the option!

A bit of a disappointing change by AMEX. I know it doesn't apply to existing card holders yet, but I could always get $400+ value out the free flight - so this change would be a halving in value for me. I'm sure it will work out better for some people though.

I normally get about $300 - $500 value of flight by booking flight around long weekend. So it is a shame that they change it to travel credit instead. But I understand that it is difficult to continue subsidising flights. Chances are the contract with VA is up for renewal and the numbers doesn't add up.

But it also makes sense that:

- to get free Virgin Australia flights, you need to get a Virgin Australia Platinum Amex card, and it earns Velocity points directly;
- to get free Qantas flights, you need to get a Qantas Ultimate Amex card, and it earns Qantas points directly;
- to get flexible Amex points that can be sent to various airlines, you need to get Edge/Essential/Explorer/Charge Card, and you get Amex travel credit with it.

Now I just hope that they don't change it for existing Platinum Edge cardholders.

Probably rather the credit as I can put towards a QF flight, albeit I was probably getting more value out of the free flight. Definitely can't get SYD-MEL for much less than $300 these days.

One thing to note is that Amex travel doesnt allow you to book on some of the low cost carriers.

I spoke to Amex about the new $200 travel credit. They advised they will be contacting exisiting Edge card holders soon asking if they would like to move over to the $200 credit. I was told this will be an option and not a forced move over. No date was given when this offer will be coming through, however it would be soon.

Amex customer service said that they had been having many enquiries for people to move over since they didn't have the use for the free flight.

Sounds like a win for everyone

Sucks to hear that I always used my complimentary flight to visit family

Have managed to get some value with the flights-always seem to be seats available on the flights we have decided on. Living outside the major cities has meant having to do some planning to tie the complimentry flight in with a paid trip.

I spoke to Amex about the new $200 travel credit. They advised they will be contacting exisiting Edge card holders soon asking if they would like to move over to the $200 credit. I was told this will be an option and not a forced move over. No date was given when this offer will be coming through, however it would be soon.

Amex customer service said that they had been having many enquiries for people to move over since they didn't have the use for the free flight.

Sounds like a win for everyone

I wonder if this option will be introduced for Reserve card holders? And what the value would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back