Newbie rule regarding bonuses for existing Amex holder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi just created an account today, been a long time fan but never created an account, until today.

Anyways my situation:

The unspoken 'hidden' rule of double dipping i.e. getting the Amex Bonus, even though you may already have an existing Amex Credit card, is to use a referral link. I have done this previously as have had Qantas Amex Premium Account, then used a referral link for my Amex Explorer. Got the 100000 Gateway bonus!

Ive now closed the Qantas Amex Premium account, and am thinking of another hack i.e. Getting an Accent card e.g. Apply for an Amex Plat edge, and then getting Amex to move me from 100K Gateway to Accent.

Question1:
Would I have any issues getting the 15k bonus when I open the Amex Plat Edge?

Question2:
I believe I should get the bonus, as the type of reward points system is different i.e. I dont currently own an Accent account (as currently only Qantas and Gateway). Is this correct?

Question3:
If I instead opted to get Qantas Amex Ultimate account (to get current 100K QFF) would I get the bonus? Or would I not get it (due to me having an existing Qantas rewards, even though I have closed it yesterday)? What is the lead time for leaving 12 months?

Question4:
If instead opted for the Amex Velocity Platinum (to get 50k, or 80k with refferal), would I be able to get the bonus? I don't have a velocity rewards points system with Amex. only Qantas and Gateway.

Any help would be great thank you. I have tried looking in hte forum before I posted this, but couldnt find anything that address the specifics of the bonuses.

Thanks in Advance.

Mok

Did you have the Qantas Amex Premium Account still when you applied for the Explorer card?

Yes I did. But I used a referral link for the Explorer card.

I just know, reading somewhere, that amex gets bit touchy when it's within the same rewards program. Just want some confirmation.

Thanks for the help mmchow and confirming my suspicion.

Think will aim for platinum edge first, then amex velocity, and after 12 months, the Qantas amex ultimate.

Definitely would recommend Platinum Edge for the earn rate. Welcome on board and hope to see you at the pointy end of the plane. :)

I've just signed up for Plat Edge and already have a 12+ month old Velocity Plat.
Hoping I get the 15K bonus once min spend is reached... Will try to remember to post back on here once I see the result.

I've just signed up for Plat Edge and already have a 12+ month old Velocity Plat.
Hoping I get the 15K bonus once min spend is reached... Will try to remember to post back on here once I see the result.

Might give this a spin once some time has passed as i dont want to rack up too many applications

Can confirm right now that I received the 15K bonus points.
HUZZAH!

Did you tick you were currently an AMEX member or have been in the past 12 months and did you use the same login and password when creating the account

Did you tick you were currently an AMEX member or have been in the past 12 months and did you use the same login and password when creating the account

I ticked the box YES i am a currently AMEX holder.
Yes I used the same login and password.
Both cards are accessed through my one login.

A lot has been discussed in the other forum, it is only a matter of time.

Last time I went from the Velocity card to Platinum I created a different login and and ticked no to having another AMEX and got the points,this time after reading several posts and threads i decided i'd put in the same login,email and ticked i had a current AMEX.heres hoping i get the points

Last time I went from the Velocity card to Platinum I created a different login and and ticked no to having another AMEX and got the points,this time after reading several posts and threads i decided i'd put in the same login,email and ticked i had a current AMEX.heres hoping i get the points

I always put no and when I received the letter, they always acknowledge that I was an existing member blah blah blah and bonus point posted. All under the same login.

This is fascinating. Coming from the US I am well versed in churning but the rules here definitely make it a bit trickier (in the US AMEX says you get one bonus per product, period).

That said, I currently have the the AMEX Explorer and I'm formulating a game plan with the above in mind. What I'm thinking:

1. Apply for Platinum Edge, then cancel Explorer once points are moved to Ascent.
2. Apply for Qantas Ultimate.

Both via referrals, of course. Anyone see any caveats to that? Sans the annual fees that we will need to swallow up front?

This is fascinating. Coming from the US I am well versed in churning but the rules here definitely make it a bit trickier (in the US AMEX says you get one bonus per product, period).

That said, I currently have the the AMEX Explorer and I'm formulating a game plan with the above in mind. What I'm thinking:

1. Apply for Platinum Edge, then cancel Explorer once points are moved to Ascent.
2. Apply for Qantas Ultimate.

Both via referrals, of course. Anyone see any caveats to that? Sans the annual fees that we will need to swallow up front?

No problems with that, sounds like the perfect plan to me. If you were feeling super ambitious, had the funds and the creditworthiness you could go even further:

- Apply for the Edge - 15k points via referral
- Apply for the Platinum Charge - 100k via referral (you'll now have an Ascent Premium account allowing transfers to QFF if that interests you).
- Close either Edge or Explorer (as you can only hold two AMEX issued CC here - bank AMEX's excluded)
- Apply for Qantas Ultimate - 100k via referral
- Close one of your two remaining AMEX CC's
- Apply for Velocity Platinum - 80k via referral

Not a bad haul of points! As you probably know, the key to getting the bonus points is that AMEX need to open you a new "rewards account" for you to qualify for the sign on bonus. It doesn't matter when you open the Qantas or Velocity cards, as long as you adhere to the no more than two AMEX CC's rule, but if you were to go the Edge and the Charge they must be opened in that order for you to qualify for the points.

In short no caveats to your plan, just that you could be more ambitious ;-)

Good luck in your quest!

I love it. I will do something like this but probably leave out the Plat Charge seeing as 1. that AF is quite high and 2. I don't necessary need to QF points at the moment.

Re: my credit - I have no idea what it is, I got off the plane from the US in Oct so I can't imagine it's much of anything yet. My apps have been getting approved on income verification up until now.

What do you suppose the timing should be between close of Explorers (just burned both my wife and my $400 credit on tickets AKL-SYD on EK in J!) and opening on the next credit card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back