Newbie CC Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting a few thousand points each month for certain household expenses for years, but never for any expenses incurred through work. I currently have an ANZ QF Platinum AMEX/Visa card. The work AMEX card just channeled points into the boss's QFF account. Since a new staff member started yesterday, we've been given the option to run our own cards. I'm quite confused now regarding what to do in terms of a card.

Here is what I think I need:

• Card that credits well to QFF
  • Only small monthly spends of $5-$8K on average ($16K last month)
  • I will use it regularly for international transactions
  • Prefer a PIN, as I have issues in some countries without it
  • I don't need insurance cover as I have an annual extensive cover paid by work
  • I book some flights with QF (all domestic - $3K-$4K per year), but for the more expensive fares I shop around. I saying that I just booked $6K with QF to USA.

Any advice? I see plenty of cards with sign-up bonuses...

For what it's worth I run 2 cards : 1 x NAB Qantas Amex/Visa $250pa fee (Visa thrown in bin) smallish limit but with the ability to preload for large purchases and 1 x Woolworths Qantas Everyday Mastercard for all purchases where Amex not accepted and still point per dollar $89pa fee... :mrgreen:

I just got a Westpac Altitude Black AMEX/MC which is working nicely for me. $395 a year (from memory). 3 points/$ AMEx and 1.25/$ MC, but in my case they transfer 2:1 to Velocity. From memory there is a QFF option from Westpac.
Like Craven above, others on here find the Woolworths Everyday CC to be excellent value for QFF.

Like Craven above, others on here find the Woolworths Everyday CC to be excellent value for QFF.

Yes, the Woolworths EDR CC is excellent value for QFF. Their annual fee is low, they give 1 point per dollar, and there's no annual cap. What more could one want? The only serious problem I've had with them is that their initial credit limit was just $7k, despite providing evidence of considerable liquid assets and another credit card with its $27k limit that had a nil balance. 6m later with frequent usage I applied for an increase and they refused! 12m later they finally agreed to an increase. But so far I'd still recommend it.

I agree with what the others have said also. Mastercard works great overseas and is most widely accepted and as pgsdiver says a good combo with the Westpac Black. Note that bank issued cards convert to the average frequent flyer scheme at only 2:1 meaning you actually need twice as many points for a flight.

For straight points earn I like the American Express Platinum Edge card which gets you 3 points at supermarkets, 2 points for petrol and one point elsewhere. Amex also has bonus offers to card members from time to time that can really turbo-charge your points earn. Amex also has bonus points for joining but there are extra points to be had if you are referred by another card member.

Look at where your card spend is to work out what card will work best for you. A combination of an Amex card plus a bank issued combination (Visa/Mastercard + Amex) seems to be what many on here prefer.

Look at where your card spend is to work out what card will work best for you. A combination of an Amex card plus a bank issued combination (Visa/Mastercard + Amex) seems to be what many on here prefer.

Yeah I think I'll be going down the Earth Black option to get my QFF points, as it seems to offer me the best of both worlds. The main issue with a Woolworths card would be a limited credit limit. Work is happy to be flexible, but I don't want to have to keep going to them mid month to top up my CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back