New Centurion Annual Fee, Joining Fee and Points Earning Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

Established Member
[Edit: I just found a discussion about this in one of the other threads. Sorry for the duplicate post.]

I apologise if this has already been posted, but I couldn't see it in this thread.

I've just received a little package from AMEX advising that from August the annual fee will rise to $5,000. They have also added a $5,000 joining fee for new memberships.

There's a new points earning table from 1 October: 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants; 2 points per $1 spent on airlines, hotels, forex, etc, and 1 point per $1 on everything else except for utilities, insurance, telcos and government bodies (eg ATO) where the earn rate will be half-a-point per $1. The points threshold increases to $750,000 per year whereupon the points earning rates all drop back to 1 point per $1 except for the half-a-point per $1 categories.

There are a handful of new benefits thrown in but there's little for me in there. They've rolled out the Relationship Managers to everybody, added guest access on the Priority Pass card plus access to VA lounges when you're flying with them. There are some new hotel loyalty memberships but at hotels that I don't frequent.

Oh and there's a signed, limited edition print enclosed :!:

Personally I'm not all that concerned by the annual fee increase. If you're currently paying the $4,600 (is that what it is?) then I figure $5,000 won't make you cancel unless you were already thinking about it. That's probably how they arrived at the fee... For me it's all about the service that I receive. There's a great guy in the Sydney office Lifestyle Team and so long as they keep him on board, or replace him with somebody just as good when he leaves, then I'll probably continue to stick with it.

Now...discuss! ;)

Last edited:
Current fee is $4300, so has gone up a bit.. no issues with the joining fee, however if i had to go through it there would have to be a serious value prop. to get me to sign off on it.

For me, a lot of what they offer doesnt help/count as i have memberships from the amount i stay/fly with the people i need anyway..

I have just applied for a 1.5pt per $1 credit card with them to look after my utility spend

I think the joining fee is a really bad idea in Australia. In the US they haven't issued Centurion cards for a couple of years and some people would pay a fortune to get one.
But here in Australia they seem to offer the card to a large number of people, many of whom decline the invitation.
I would certainly not have taken the card with $5000 joining fee, no way. The only effect this would have in my opinion is to have existing members think twice if they really want to cancel their centurion card, but I don't think they will attract many new members.

I really don't see a good reason why we have to pay more than twice the annual fee of the US. Why not make it the same: $7500 joining fee and $2500 annual fee?

Must be the carbon tax :p

Will give it another year, never happy to pay more than i should, but not the end of the world at the same time. Now where is my limited edition print!!

Mmm... I don't mind the increase if they keep the CX diamond and enhance the MO BOGO...

Homer, so far I'm pretty upset with the lifestyle team. I don't use them much, but every time I try, they either messed up with my request completely or unable to get what I want. Any chance you can disclose that guy to me? I promise I won't overload him as I only have 4-5 request a year?!

I am currently in Europe til mid July - my RO has been trying to contact me to discuss and I quote:

Hi Cruiser,

I hope you are well.

Further to my phone message today, I am writing in relation to some key changes to your Centurion Card regarding the Membership Rewards earn structure, Annual fee changes and new benefits.

Whilst there are changes, I do believe these changes may benefit you and the way you will use your Card moving forward.

Cruiser, I would really like the opportunity to discuss how we can work together to ensure you continue to enjoy the benefits of your Centurion membership. Please let me know a suitable time to ring you regarding this matter.

Regards,
AMEX RO

See all is well - AMEX RO believes the changes may benefit me - and here is me thinking the Cent benefits have been watered down - silly me!

Although I extol the Centurion card on the article about the card on my blog (more for a good story really), i'm not terribly concerned with these changes as it's likely that we will not renew our Centurion this October.

We are just not getting value from the card anymore and that $5000 could go towards something really worthwhile (e.g. my 30th birthday in November where we are flying friends and family over for the occasion e.g. expensive). The allure of the black amex has really lost it's appeal (for us anyway) - i'm not really sad to see it go. It will be good to go back to budgeting and living within the limits of a normal credit card, lol.

For my +1, it will be a change. He has been with Amex since '87 and had the centurion since it came out in Australia. Chances are we will drop to Plat.

I suspect the $5k joining fee is aimed more at making existing members think twice about cancelling due to the price of re-entry.

For me, the changes to the points earn structure will be a nett benefit even without changing which card is used for what spend. To make it even better we have near new Citi Select cards which will be getting worn down a bit quicker now instead of using AMEX on the 1pt/$ or 0.5pt/$ spends.

The new Accor benefit is a plus since there are a couple of cities we visit where the Pullman is the only real option. Mrs Rowdy is also a fan of the concierge to do her 'running around' for her when she is planning one of her parties.

Having declined he centurion card twice so far, increasing the cost and bringing in a membership application fee.......
I can say with absolute certainty that I won't be taking it up anytime soon.
I don't recall anyone mentioning changes to the travel insurance, is it still as good as the original? Or has it gone the way of the plat offering?

Hi,

I am glad that my renewal was in April - it gives me almost a year to decide if I wish to keep the Centurion card or not. The increase in the fee up to 5K doesn't really bother me too much, but the change in point allocation - on the surface - irritates me a little.

I have yet to receive my "parcel" telling me of all the changes, and the Centurion website does not seem to have been updated yet. (Not surprising).

I guess I really need to sit down and see what I will be losing and what I will be gaining. I travel a lot for work - mainly domestic. I book all my own airfares and hotels etc. Can anyone tell me if you have to book through AmEx travel to get the 2:1 points ? Hoping that I can just continue booking my own travel and it will be "picked up" through the merchant (eg. Choice Hotels, Best Western's, Virgin etc etc).

I also wonder what will happen with my Lumo Energy contract - where I get 6:1 currently? The AmEx offer is listed on the Lumo website as "NEW" and it is also still showing on the AmEx rewards website as a "Partner".

I will definately miss the bonus .5point on things like fuel and groceries etc :(

Guess I will wait til I receive my "official" notification - but at the moment have very mixed feelings.

Cheers,

Brooke

Pretty much guarantees I will never bother in stepping-up to Centurion (have had Plat Charge for two years)

I have yet to receive my "parcel" telling me of all the changes, and the Centurion website does not seem to have been updated yet. (Not surprising).

Brooke

I had a look at the Cent website yesterday and the new changes relating to Hotel partners, Virgin etc were all listed.

Oh how I wish they got rid of the forex fees at the same time! Probably my biggest gripe with AMEX is these. Cost me way more than the annual fee each year which is I guess why they keep them!

sorry typo. not should be no :)
Does plat charge have hilton status?

Mmm... I don't mind the increase if they keep the CX diamond and enhance the MO BOGO...

Homer, so far I'm pretty upset with the lifestyle team. I don't use them much, but every time I try, they either messed up with my request completely or unable to get what I want. Any chance you can disclose that guy to me? I promise I won't overload him as I only have 4-5 request a year?!

My recent interactions have been fantastic. May be you should give them a try. :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back