New Amex Ascent account- entitled to bonus if I have a Gateway account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scullkr

Hi guys,

I was reading in the forums about Amex card holders applying for the new Explorer card and getting the 100,000 Gateway points, despite already having an Amex card. From my limited understanding, it seemed that the opening of the new Gateway account (despite their current eg Ascent account) was the key.

I have the Explorer card as my first Amex card and am thinking about getting the Platinum Edge to maximize grocery and fuel spending.

Is there a chance that I could receive the 10,000 Ascent points if I don't have an Ascent account? Has anybody experienced this? It wouldn't be a disaster by any means if I didn't receive them but I was curious.

Also- if I were to follow a referral link, what is a typical bonus offer that I and the referrer might receive?

Cheers.

Hi scullkr.

I'm very curious too re your situation. My partner has the explorer (got the bonus) but she wants to get the edge. So curious as to wether she will get bonus as you are "upgrading" programs instead of going backwards.

Re referral. It currently is 15MR for you and 10MR for the referrer. In the past I think using a referral link has had positive results for getting bonus points (when you otherwise were not eligible). I would be happy to send a referral link if you were interested.

Cheers.

In my considerable experience with this, both reading the threads here and elsewhere, and my own applications I'd be almost certain that you'll get the points.

The reason being that AMEX will open you an Ascent awards account for the new card, as you don't have one already (you have a gateway instead). Having a new rewards account opened is key to getting the points.

So you'll be fine, good luck with the application.

Hi scullkr.

I'm very curious too re your situation. My partner has the explorer (got the bonus) but she wants to get the edge. So curious as to wether she will get bonus as you are "upgrading" programs instead of going backwards.

Re referral. It currently is 15MR for you and 10MR for the referrer. In the past I think using a referral link has had positive results for getting bonus points (when you otherwise were not eligible). I would be happy to send a referral link if you were interested.

Cheers.

Hi blingy90,

Thanks for the info.

By all means DM me a referral link. I'm still in two minds as to if/when to get the Edge but if/when I do I'll use your link and let you know. (I most likely will but just want to space out my applications a little.)

My partner is also thinking about the Explorer card. It's a pity no referral links are available- I'm guessing they will become available once the current promotion ends?

In my considerable experience with this, both reading the threads here and elsewhere, and my own applications I'd be almost certain that you'll get the points.

The reason being that AMEX will open you an Ascent awards account for the new card, as you don't have one already (you have a gateway instead). Having a new rewards account opened is key to getting the points.

So you'll be fine, good luck with the application.

Thanks blueythecat,

I thought as much but am very new to this so I appreciate your input. If I do apply I'll report back- it'll be hard not to after reading your review!

Hi scullkr - thanks for the reply back. I'll send over a referral link in the morning. I think having a combo of explorer and edge is a great way to maximise your MR points.

I agree re the referrals for the explorer. Wish there were referrals available, but I think you may be right...that they will appear when the current offer ends. Hard to know if the referral offers will be better or worse then current offer on the table!

Thanks blueythecat,

I thought as much but am very new to this so I appreciate your input. If I do apply I'll report back- it'll be hard not to after reading your review!

No problems at all, the Edge really is a great card, I couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Good luck with your application if you decide to go ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back