Multiple bombs explode in Colombo [April 21] | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Multiple bombs explode in Colombo [April 21]

defurax

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
There are reports of bombs exploding at the Shangri La and Cinnamon hotels in addition to at least two churches. Hopefully no AFFers hurt considering these hotels are quite popular with tourists.

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Just read this on the news website. Just doesn’t make sense. Not that any of it ever does. Wonder if NZ tragedy had anything to do with it.

drron

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Latest is 138 dead and over 400 injured.
First reports are that probably carried out by NJT a radical islamist group.A Police official said foreign intelligence had warned them they were planning suicide bombings.

drron

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter

"
Sri Lanka’s police chief made a nationwide alert 10 days before Sunday’s bomb attacks that suicide bombers planned to hit “prominent churches”, according to the warning seen by AFP.
Police chief Pujuth Jayasundara sent an intelligence warning to top officers on April 11 setting out the threat.
“A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama’ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo,” said the alert."

pjm99au

Flights
My Map
We’re in Sri Lanka at the moment in Kandy. Complete island wide curfew in place until 6am tomorrow. I want to send our driver home to be with his wife in Negombo but the roads are officially closed. She was at church this morning but thankfully not one of those bombed as she went to a smaller church with him being away. Terrible thing to happen to a very peaceful people.

33kft

AFF Supporter
Death toll now 207 with 400 injured, according to the BBC. How those can feel such hatred to those they do not even know escapes me.

amaroo

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Very sad.

Another country we were wanting to visit now on the no go list.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Very sad.

Understand if traveling with your kids, but recall the awful things in Paris previously. Id go back to SL in an instant.

Last edited:

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Understand if traveling with your kids, but recall the awful things in Paris previously. Id go back to SL in an instant?
And we travelled to SL in 1985 in the midst of their Tamil issues. Compelling reason though.

I’m wondering if you didn’t travel to those places where there has been a terrorist attack if you’d find any place left to travel to.

pjm99au

Flights
My Map
Very sad.

I understand your thoughts but when we don’t visit the bastards win and the ordinary people of Sri Lanka suffer. After tea, tourism is their biggest source of income. Everything else is a very distant third. It’s a country that has so much to offer the visitor it would be a massive shame if these events put it on the do not visit list

love_the_life

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Very sad to read. I wondered if the Galle Face Hotel had been targeted but not at this time. Pushka and I had lunch there and I know she stayed there not too long ago. I remember seeing the Kingsbury Hotel.
I haven’t been able to keep up but has any group claimed responsibility?

henleybeach

Flights
My Map
Very sad too see , a beautiful scenic country with such happy kind hearted people. We had such a wonderful time there in 2014 and I feel for the locals as tourism is so important to them. I just hope people don’t stop going

amaroo

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Paris - took our kids there 2 months after the horrendous acts in 2015.

It just makes perfect sense to avoid countries that have a long history of civil war, killings and hatred for humans other than what they see in the mirror.. That's the reason we've never visited many places around the world including ones closer to home like Indonesia and PNG.... Sri Lanka was just about to get on our must visit list, but now it's back on the no visit list.

It's a very sad situation, and plenty of innocents have been caught up in a horrific tragedy. We all have our different triggers to avoiding a country - this one has reignited mine. No different to Indo and Bali, plenty of people are happy to travel - last place I want to visit.

Last edited:

Hvr

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
We’re in Sri Lanka at the moment in Kandy.

1610551555854673942.png

This image from ABC.net.au shows Kandy in relation to the bomb sites. Kandy is approximately 100km from Colombo. I can only imagine the palpable fear that people in Sri Lanka must be feeling at this time.

Stay safe @pjm99au and good on you for thinking of your driver and his family.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt cha ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfaws14