Moving Overseas - which CC to choose to keep earning one world points

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanjones

Hi - currently tied into QF point earning CC's (and thanks to this site have booked a great 280k oneworld business class one world fare for myself and my wife next year).

However from 1st Jan planning on moving to Switzerland. At this stage Im thinking of still staying with the OW alliance.

I have a CBA diamond card at the moment - but don't want to pay the forex fees on everything I spend once i move overseas as well as transferring money across etc to pay the bill.

Does anyone have experience or advice on which CC to look for in switzerland that will give me the optimum point earning such that I can redeem for one world fares?

If you want QF points + international fee-free, I think the only choice locally would be the Bankwest platinum. If you're wanting a card in Europe that's a whole different game, knowledge is probably going to be thin on the ground here. Be aware you may not be in a position to instantly get a new card but at least it will be a lot better than the US system.

Most credit card providers in Aus will cancel your card if you tell them you're moving overseas. Exceptions that I know of are Amex (ie direct issued Amex cards) and HSBC Premier. Both of them will allow you to keep a card when you move, and in the case of HSBC, they will set up local bank accounts etc. However, I believe they will transfer you to the local rewards program - ie no Qantas direct earn. I don't know if either or both offer some other OW earning opportunities in Switzerland.

BTW, is OW really a good option for someone based in Switzerland? Given that Swiss airlines is in Star Alliance, as are neighbouring flag carriers Lufthansa and Austrian. AFAIK, Star Alliance generally has much better coverage in Central Europe.

I had (actually, have) some UK credit cards - BA Amex Premium Plus (which gives a 2-4-1 voucher after £10k spend, 1.5miles per £), coupled with a BMi Amex/Visa (2miles/1.5miles per £) which both give BA Avios.

If you are in Geneva - there are loads of cheap flights to the UK, and the rest of Europe - I wouldnt wast miles on them (in fact, so many budget airlines and such short flights, that generally no advantage in business class - may even have the same seats!)

When I moved here, they made it pretty easy to get a new credit card using my historical credit rating (although I havent progressed with it as dont think any offer great value.

If you are in Switzerland, dont know how you'd get a UK card (unless you have a business address in UK?).
The Swiss (airlines) branded amex is really Lufthansa/*A with visa too.

AirBerlin are OneWorld - maybe worth seeing what they offer. But it all depends on where you're living, as to where you can get a CC. Maybe a plane Amex MR card then transfer into a program of your choice?

On a side note - its quite easy to get gold status on *A with Aegean Airlines ;)

If you are in Geneva - there are loads of cheap flights to the UK, and the rest of Europe - I wouldnt wast miles on them (in fact, so many budget airlines and such short flights, that generally no advantage in business class - may even have the same seats!)

I totally agree. I certainly wouldn't look to redeem points on intra EU flights, regardless of the program. When I suggested *A may be better for someone based in Switzerland, I meant with respect to (a) points/status earning potential on intra-EU flights and (b) burning potential on long haul flights, eg flights back to Oz. SQ J Saver awards from Zurich spring to mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back