Money exchange for Vietnam - At arrival airport or prior to departure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

straitman

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Similar to the questions for other countries.

Where is the best place to get cash for Vietnam and do you need much cash?

hi straitman, if u r transiting or visiting SIN, KUL or Cambodia beforehand, then I'd reccomend try the Bank booths in SIN or KUL airports for your VN Dong. They won't have huge amounts available, but you would need only $US50 -$100 exchanged or this amount in $AUDs cash changed, to deal any taxi's from airport in SGN or HAN , which are metered in Dong. You would have some have some Dong over for incidentals, e.g port tips, etc. a bowl of Pho or a few beers in nearby shops. SGN airport is much closer to town (Ho Chi Minh) than is HAN airport, which is a 45 min- 1 Hr hike from airport to centre of HAN depending on traffic. HAN taxi fare to centre of HAN would cost about $35 max, equivalent in Dong - half this amount or less, from SGN airport to centre of Ho Chi Minh. And yes, You could exchange your $100 cash in the bank at the airports in SGN or HAN. Cheers PJ

I would use a 28Degrees card for cash advances at ATMs, with some AUD in cash handy in case there is a problem with the ATMS, or you can't find one.

Whatever Dong you have, make sure you spend it before you leave Vietnam as it seems to be worthless once you leave the country.

I used all cash when I was there, except for hotels.

I would use a 28Degrees card for cash advances at ATMs, with some AUD in cash handy in case there is a problem with the ATMS, or you can't find one.

Whatever Dong you have, make sure you spend it before you leave Vietnam as it seems to be worthless once you leave the country.

I used all cash when I was there, except for hotels.
Sound advice getting cash Dong from ATMs in VN for stay, froggerADL. Any Purchases on credit or debit cards will be almost universally be slugged 3% by the vendor. They don't discriminate of card type used. Cash is King in VN

$AUD = VND21,700

Rough rule of thumb if you are short of cash is to use an exchange rate of VND21,000 / 1AUD

Cab drivers would happily accept Aussie cash if you do not want to use the exchange desk at the airport.

I personally use the various No-Commission exchange desks dotted all over the city. So many of them. At every corner.

Better rate, no commission and no paperwork - you don't even have to show any ID (unlike the ANZ branch I walked into, only to walk out soon after).

The number of merchants accepting MasterCard / Visa cards is a real surprise to me - very, very widespread.

Posting from the Caravelle Hotel sipping Bailey infused ice creams.

$AUD = VND21,700

Rough rule of thumb if you are short of cash is to use an exchange rate of VND21,000 / 1AUD

Cab drivers would happily accept Aussie cash if you do not want to use the exchange desk at the airport.

I personally use the various No-Commission exchange desks dotted all over the city. So many of them. At every corner.

Better rate, no commission and no paperwork - you don't even have to show any ID (unlike the ANZ branch I walked into, only to walk out soon after).

The number of merchants accepting MasterCard / Visa cards is a real surprise to me - very, very widespread.

Great advice in this post and great hotel. Been to long since visiting Vietnam, a beautiful country!

Sound advice getting cash Dong from ATMs in VN for stay, froggerADL. Any Purchases on credit or debit cards will be almost universally be slugged 3% by the vendor. They don't discriminate of card type used. Cash is King in VN

My experience is different.

Numerous transactions up to $AUD1,000 attracts no surcharge from any merchant anywhere.

And no transaction fees from 28-degrees either

And BTW, I am currently in SGN happily swiping my card (Jan 6th).

If arriving at Ho Chi Minh City and want cash at the airport, I found that once just outside that exchange booth at the far end had a much better rate than the closest booth.

Bank ATM's were all over the place to get cash via 28 degrees. Often AC mini booths too if you need a break from the heat ;)

$AUD = VND21,700

I also agree about the no commission exchange desks in VN, legroom.
What is real surprise, is that I can exchange $USD/AUD in Phnom Penh into Dong cash in similar, no-commission exchange places - Like Ly Hour - as in VN, and get a marginally better rate than the non commission exchange desks in VN.... You also can get $AUD cash here in Phnom Penh, at no commission, at the prevailing mid-bank rate, no forms, ID either. Phnom Penh is phenomenal for cash exchange rates of various currencies. Unlike VN, Cambodia remains a US "dollarized" economy - although moves are afoot to change this.

My experience is different.

Numerous transactions up to $AUD1,000 attracts no surcharge from any merchant anywhere.

And no transaction fees from 28-degrees either

And BTW, I am currently in SGN happily swiping my card (Jan 6th).

Then, your up to date knowledge and experience is appreciated. I'm in Phnom Penh, and I haven't been in VN for a few months. Thanks for the current head-up, PJ

I found no difficulty accessing ATMs. And reassuredly, there are ANZ ATMs in many places in VN.

A few words of warning, the transaction fees for both ATMs (international fees) and CC international fees are quite steep. But I think I'd prefer to pay them and enjoy the advantage of ready amounts of cash without being worried about converting a large sum and then it being robbed or lost.

Depending on where you're going, prepare too for extreme temp variations -- from the humidity of Saigon to the alpine like cold temps of the mountains, eg Dalat.

Have fun -- it's a terrific country.

I found no difficulty accessing ATMs. And reassuredly, there are ANZ ATMs in many places in VN.

A few words of warning, the transaction fees for both ATMs (international fees) and CC international fees are quite steep. But I think I'd prefer to pay them and enjoy the advantage of ready amounts of cash without being worried about converting a large sum and then it being robbed or lost.

Depending on where you're going, prepare too for extreme temp variations -- from the humidity of Saigon to the alpine like cold temps of the mountains, eg Dalat.

Have fun -- it's a terrific country.

In the centre of SGN, there are so many Citibank ATMs.

Much more than I could see in Sydney.

I saw one CBA ATM on the riverside kerb.

I don't use them (carrying cash !) but others may.

I have applied for a Citi Plus Debit Card - ready for pick up once I get back to SYD (for the next trip).

One more thing: some cabs accepts CCs withOUT any (Cabcharge-like) surcharge !

But then, airport - city fare in SGN is about $10 approx., maybe not worth a swipe but it is available FWIW

Last edited:
Having tried 2 differing methods,

Visit 1.

Primary source, credit card/ATM. Works ok but you end up with wads and wads of dong. PITA unless you want to make lots of withdrawals.

Visit 2.

Took 600aud worth of dong in cash. Also have lots of USD in cash. Typically everywhere will currency exchange USD at pretty good rates.

Cash method is by far the best IMO

Having tried 2 differing methods,

Visit 1.

Primary source, credit card/ATM. Works ok but you end up with wads and wads of dong. PITA unless you want to make lots of withdrawals.

Visit 2.

Took 600aud worth of dong in cash. Also have lots of USD in cash. Typically everywhere will currency exchange USD at pretty good rates.

Cash method is by far the best IMO

Up to the last trip (Dec 2011), I'd have to agree: cash is king.

On this trip (Dec 2012 - Jan 2013), I tend to swipe my 28-degrees for anything more than $AUD50 (cafe, restaurants, shops...)

To my complete surprise, a tiny little stall in the Central Market would accept CC when you ask for it (no CC logo anywhere).

I personally carry about $200 equivalent in VND - more than sufficient for any situation.

I remain wary of pick pocketing (like everywhere else) but is unaffected so far (last time I was fingered - detected straight away - was on the Paris metro in 2011).

Another tip: take, or acquire, a bunch of US$1 bills: they are the preferred and universal tip in many instances.

Another tip: take, or acquire, a bunch of US$1 bills: they are the preferred and universal tip in many instances.

+1

Good tip

I do that every day

Bring a smile to everyone's face

This is off topic but I could not help myself.

Everyone has to eat sometimes, I guess.

One place I'd recommend is Quan (restaurant) NGON on Pasteur St (beware of same-name copycats on other streets) where about 1/3 of customers are foreigners (a good few is fellow Aussies).

In one place, you can sample 30-40 authentic dishes without the effort of traveling to different eating houses.

It is within walking distance of the CBD (or 60 cent cab fare).

Last edited:
Citibank ATMs allow about 8m dong withdrWAL, WHEREAS vN BANKS HAVE A MAX OF 2m. With ATM fees, this can add up. Some of the above advice re provate dealers may mean you don't have to go to ATMs very often. You should not need lots of dong, excellent value.

If in Saigon, there are plenty of CBA atm's around in District 1 that only charge $2 AUD to withdraw cash - we withdrew 5 million VND at a time which was plenty for all the shops that didn't take CC. Before exiting SGN, there are a couple of money exchangers landside after collecting baggage so you don't need to stress about getting sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back