Mistakenly used Citi Signature cc instead of CitiPlus for cash withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@rcoPolo

Well - I have both a Citi Signature and a CitiPlus Debit card, the latter is only used overseas for cash withdrawals.
Today I used the Citi Signature by mistake for a foreign ATM cash withdrawal - too late by the time I noticed as I already went through with the transaction :(

I immediately transferred enough funds on the same day from the CitiPlus to Citi Signature account to cover the value of the cash withdrawal (and then more)... would that be sufficient to avoid interest charges at the end of the billing cycle or should I put the full outstanding amount on my Citi Signature in credit...?

Hopefully MP you will be ok. Did you allow for the 3.4% FX charge?

I used an Australian Citi Prestige at a US Costco because they had recently switched to not taking Amex US cards.All up it was a 5% hit to have the wrong wallet of cards so it was my fault to not have the correct card. At least Citi paid out bonus points so it was not too bad.
Citi debit is a really good card to get cash.

I'd be proactive and talk to Citibank and tell them what you did because I'm sure you'll get charged and if they say no then threaten to cancel all your cards

Just have a look at your account to see what they have done on your signature card with Citi.

Just have a look at your account to see what they have done on your signature card with Citi.

They have debited the Signature Card - I ended up wiring funds into the account to cover the full outstanding amount (not just the ATM cash withdrawal) just to be sure, statement is due next week so let's see what happens, hopefully they'll only charge interest for the day of the transaction and I can keep using the Signature cards for purchases after the statement has been issued...

They have debited the Signature Card - I ended up wiring funds into the account to cover the full outstanding amount (not just the ATM cash withdrawal) just to be sure, statement is due next week so let's see what happens, hopefully they'll only charge interest for the day of the transaction and I can keep using the Signature cards for purchases after the statement has been issued...

I would call them immediately and have the transaction quarantined and to keep your interest free days intact.
Otherwise, you are going to want to immediately pay the full current balance on the card to minimize interest. A cash advance will strike off your interest-free periods and you'll require 3 months of paying the full closing balance to not pay interest on the initial cash advance. This is not an ideal situation to be in!!!

Both my Citibank Signature and Debit cards look almost identical....I have written a big " D " on my Debit card less I make the same mistake as the OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back