JB Hi-Fi increased surcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooingchicken

Was buying a xmas present the other day just have a pretty standard amex so 1 point per $1 for everything so wasnt really worth the shopping option, and just cop the surcharge.
Low and behold they have increased there surcharge to 2.5% Just thought i would let people know coming up closer to xmas

Was buying a xmas present the other day just have a pretty standard amex so 1 point per $1 for everything so wasnt really worth the shopping option, and just cop the surcharge.
Low and behold they have increased there surcharge to 2.5% Just thought i would let people know coming up closer to xmas

Refer to the gift cards in supermarkets thread.

Refer to the gift cards in supermarkets thread.

I am sure that DeKa also meant to mention that if buying the gift card with Amex Plat Edge you convert your 1 point per $ into 3 points per $.

Yes I am know about the gift card option, but i only earn 1 point per $1 so wasnt going to worry about it, and wasnt confirmed that I was going to buy from JB prior to going.
I was also with other people so just used another card which earns abit less points, but no surcharge.
Was more making a thread because it is close to xmas to advise people of the increase so they would be more prepaired then i was

Very cheeky. Can't see them paying anywhere near that. Would the ACCC investigate?

Thankfully JB-HiFi don't swipe the card, the consumer does.

I always just say "MasterCard" and then just swipe my Amex.

No surcharge at all.... Win

Thankfully JB-HiFi don't swipe the card, the consumer does.

I always just say "MasterCard" and then just swipe my Amex.

No surcharge at all.... Win
Haaahahahahahahahahaaa. Love it. ;)

Or for example the machines at service stations which detect your card type and charge the appropriate surcharge.

Not that any of us would visit a service station that charges a cc surcharge!

Just spoke to american express about this as i'd been told on numerous occassions that they were working very closely with the merchant and basically they said oh well nothing much they can do. I'm getting very frustrated that we pay more for our goods and services than visa and mastercard.

well, it is unsurprising, since Amex charges merchants more. it's unfortunate, but the reason Amex cards often earn more points or have better perks is because the merchant is picking up the tab.

But JB have amazing market power to push Amex to give them a good rate. They just don't seem to want to try.
Seems like the amateurs in management share the same work ethic as many in the store...

But JB have amazing market power to push Amex to give them a good rate. They just don't seem to want to try.
Seems like the amateurs in management share the same work ethic as many in the store...

Or they don't think it'll make a difference to sales/profits so spend their time on other aspects of the business.

Seems very unusual. What would they we giving away in commission to supermarkets to sell their gift cards 5-10%. Seems cheaper to accept AMEX.

Had to pop down to Coles the other day to purchase gift cards, and as they only sell them in $50, took some time processing them all at the Counter . The surcharge really does seem like a silly idea dreamed up by a bean counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back