ING Direct - ATM Fee Rebate Success?

Discussion in 'Foreign Exchange / Travel Money' started by leeflyer, Nov 18, 2017.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. leeflyer

leeflyer Junior Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Hi Guys - I just signed up for an ING Direct Account to take advantage of a good referral offer firstly ($100). See the referral section of forum. ING Direct $100 Bonus – Expires 28 February 2018

However, there is not really any comments in the referral section on whether this card works well to reduce ATM costs! Which is expected as it is in the referral section and people are probably more keen for others to use their code for $100 benefit (me included now! :)). But, before I head O/S next I would like to understand from the collective experience here if this option has been tried and tested.

I have a Citibank card but have found in France and China recently and there were a few bank ATMs that seemed to accept the card. So had to hunt around.

So wondering as I have to travel to France frequently if this might be a better option for O/S cash withdrawals - Europe particularly? The US has been really good for the Citibank card, by the way.

ING Direct.PNG

2. cgichard

cgichard Member

Feb 17, 2007
    MEL
    Only just announced. It's possible the free overseas ATM rebate is only from March when the 5 x a month card use requirement kicks in.

3. e_wolfe

e_wolfe Intern

Dec 30, 2005
    User "Nonno Chicho" on Whirlpool has reported that their ATM fees have been rebated when using the card in the USA. Link to post on Whirlpool:
    ING Orange Everyday Fee Free Account - Money - Travel - Whirlpool Forums

4. Legoman

Legoman Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Perth
    I had absolutely no dramas with the Citibank Plus card in Shenzhen. Worked first time in everything I stuck it in. From the big name professional proper ATM's geared for international cards in the airport terminals to every dodgy looking private ATM in random walls in the city gutters amongst the trash, dead animals & taxi drivers huddled around their wooden crates playing Mahjongg for money right adjacent. Worked everywhere. I had my ING card as well as a backup just in case, but never needed it.

5. cgichard

cgichard Member

Feb 17, 2007
    MEL
  6. Cynicor

Cynicor Established Member

Jun 13, 2007
    The card worked everywhere for free in France and China. What issues did you have?!

7. leeflyer

leeflyer Junior Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Just finding an ATM that would accept the card. I had to try a few in some cases till one worked.

8. Cynicor

Jun 13, 2007
    That seems very odd. As in they wouldn't let the card in the slot? Just spat it back out? Never had that issue anywhere in the world, let alone France!

9. Cynicor

Jun 13, 2007
    Or were you trying to find a specific symbol/logo on the atm (which is unnecessary FYI)?

10. Strategic Aviation

Strategic Aviation Established Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Booked a hotel through Orbitz (USD) with Orange Everyday. The pending transaction indicates that there is no international transaction fee.

11. opusman

opusman Established Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Melbourne
    I was pleasantly surprised a few years ago to find that their regular ATM rebate (for Australian domestic ATMs) applied on the ANZ currency conversion ATMs as well (which charged something like $6 per transaction).

12. doctork

doctork Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Do you know if this is still the case?

13. opusman

opusman Established Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Melbourne
    I don't, sorry - ANZ got rid of that machine from my local branch some time ago so not had occasion to try it again.

14. RoMambai

RoMambai Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Canberra
    The rebate has worked a treat for me in the last 2 months - Bangkok, Baku and Istanbul. Even works in Kabul which means it will work anywhere.

15. Strategic Aviation

Jan 1, 2017
    Thanks for confirming considering the heinous fee that is levied on all foreign cards, plus the opportunistic withdrawal limits now set on ATMs.

Most used to allow 30,000b in one withdrawal, but after the introduction of the fee most dropped to 25,000 or 20,000. (TMB and possibly some others still allow 30,000.) There are even some that are as low as 15,000.

16. RoMambai

RoMambai Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Canberra
    A further data point: rebate works in DXB which also levies a high charge (20 AED - over $7). I'm in Singapore and Malaysia over the next 2 days and I expect it will work there too (though from memory they don't tend to add extra charges there).

17. Strategic Aviation

Jan 1, 2017
    Can't recall about Singapore but I believe Malaysia will be zero charge.

18. RoMambai

RoMambai Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Canberra
    Yeah, I think I'll be pretty safe in both places. Still rapt that the previous ING withdrawal fee is gone too.

19. SYD

SYD Member

Oct 5, 2009
    SYD
    Working in Argentina. Muy bueno!

Extortionist ATM fees otherwise...

20. doctork

doctork Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I wasn't sure whether MrsdoctorkPhD's new ING (thanks for referral code, AFFers) card would rebate ATM fees at those small Australian DC-cash ATMs like you see in pubs etc. So I asked her to try it out tonight. $2.90 to withdraw max $200 (quite expensive for Oz) - rebated immediately to the Orange Everyday account. In real time. Amazing. Bring on the trips to Singapore, UK, Eurozone, US, Canada, and Norway in 2018! Just setting up our 5 small auto card payments, and monthly deposits to make sure...