Increase credit limit

Captain Halliday

Established Member
Any recent experience with applying for a credit limit increase with Amex. Especially anyone self employed?

Mrs H started her own business last year so we’ve paused her cc churning for now. However, I forgot to increase her limit before she left the salaried job.

1. Any recent experience with how strict they are?

2. Do they ping your credit file?

3. Do they ask for proof of income?

4. I’ve gone part way through the online process and they ask about employment FT, PT, self employed etc. Any risk they’d take the existing card away as she’s was FT salary when she applied?

#4 is my biggest concern, as we don’t want to lose a stack of point!

Any recent experience with applying for a credit limit increase with Amex. Especially anyone self employed?

Mrs H started her own business last year so we’ve paused her cc churning for now. However, I forgot to increase her limit before she left the salaried job.

1. Any recent experience with how strict they are?

2. Do they ping your credit file?

3. Do they ask for proof of income?

4. I’ve gone part way through the online process and they ask about employment FT, PT, self employed etc. Any risk they’d take the existing card away as she’s was FT salary when she applied?

#4 is my biggest concern, as we don’t want to lose a stack of point!
1) not strict
3) they don’t ask
4) no need to worry .

Their online system makes no sense, I originally on my first card had a 20k limit, then I got a Velocity platinum card and cancelled the old card with a 12k limit as combined I had a total 32k limit on that application. I went to do an online form to increase my limit to 15k and it auto-rejected even though my income is 20k higher than my original sign-up application it's silly. The only thing I can think of is that my card just flicked over with an 11k balance on it, basically just wanted to extend the payment to the end of the interest-free period in 20 days' time whilst my other cash is earning away at 5% in a savings account. It's quite frustrating

I notice both my banking apps allow you to ask for a credit limit increase

one of them upto $99,900
the other is 100 more than current limit but no more than 150% of current limit...

with the demise of Diners, I'm now shopping for a new card to pay for F/J fares if necessary

Last edited:
PSA: anyone thinking of retiring or transitioning into a situation that doesn’t have regular “salary“ income, get your CCs and limits in order first. It’s sooo much easier having the Bot see that salary income and automatically approving cards and/or limits.

Dealing with a human is the last thing you want. They’re invariable incapable of making a decision.

Amex is generally an exception for existing customers.

Back