HSBC Platinum Visa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezza8888

just wandering if anyone has any experience with this, but I just got approved for HSBC Platinum Visa, but I only did it for the points. 35,000 and 2 qantas club invitations isn't bad, but I just wanted to see whether anyone had experience cancelling their card after they have been awarded the 35,000 points and getting all, or even some of the $199 annual fee back.

Would appreciate any advice on this thanks

I got the card several months ago and have the points etc, and and then also applied for the recent Citi fee free for life card and so called up the other day to see about a pay out figure for the HSBC card, as i had read in other places i think about them then offering to refund the annual fee to keep the person, and then them still cancelling after getting the annual fee back..

But after she gave me the pay out figure, she said when i call back to pay it off, could then discuss getting a refund etc, so haven't got around to it yet, but will see how i go...

I got the card several months ago and have the points etc, and and then also applied for the recent Citi fee free for life card and so called up the other day to see about a pay out figure for the HSBC card, as i had read in other places i think about them then offering to refund the annual fee to keep the person, and then them still cancelling after getting the annual fee back..

But after she gave me the pay out figure, she said when i call back to pay it off, could then discuss getting a refund etc, so haven't got around to it yet, but will see how i go...

Anything further to report at this stage?

Like you I also applied and was approved for this card (also these cards Westpac Earth, ANZ Plat QFF, AMEX QFF and also Commbank QFF) all up 165000 points 2 guest passes and 1 return flight between selected capitals. Considering that I would make purchases anyway including flights etc I just used the cards to meet the minimum qualifying requirements and will cancel sometime within three months so that I can re-qualify for new applications (usually 12 months after previous account closure). I don't worry about trying to get the card fee back as I see this as a necessary evil to ensure that card providers keep offering these cheap point grabs as there is no other cheaper way I have yet seen to get large slabs of points for relatively low costs. I also have and use my Woolies everyday reward card and credit card ( you have to eat anyway) and this just keeps churning points regularly ( amazing how quickly they add up). I have been offered fee waivers to keep my business however these usually come with a requirement that you keep the account open for more than 12 months (thereby accruing the full account fee in the next year anyway as opposed to paying a discounted fee in the first application).

Like you I also applied and was approved for this card (also these cards Westpac Earth, ANZ Plat QFF, AMEX QFF and also Commbank QFF) all up 165000 points 2 guest passes and 1 return flight between selected capitals. Considering that I would make purchases anyway including flights etc I just used the cards to meet the minimum qualifying requirements and will cancel sometime within three months so that I can re-qualify for new applications (usually 12 months after previous account closure). I don't worry about trying to get the card fee back as I see this as a necessary evil to ensure that card providers keep offering these cheap point grabs as there is no other cheaper way I have yet seen to get large slabs of points for relatively low costs. I also have and use my Woolies everyday reward card and credit card ( you have to eat anyway) and this just keeps churning points regularly ( amazing how quickly they add up). I have been offered fee waivers to keep my business however these usually come with a requirement that you keep the account open for more than 12 months (thereby accruing the full account fee in the next year anyway as opposed to paying a discounted fee in the first application).

I've just been given my third annual fee waiver by HSBC, after ringing up to cancel. It doesn't seem to take much to convince them to waive it.

In the first year it was my primary spending card, but I've only spent a total of around $900 on it in the last 24 months. Not paying a fee in return for two QP passes? Sure, why not. I might even have to use them myself rather than giving them to friends, since I'll probably be dropping from SG back to PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back