How to avoid the call of shame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulST

Established Member
I'm looking at closing my NAB Platinum card again (second time in a few months) but I'm keen to avoid calling them (I tend to avoid conflict in everything I do...)
I've seen others simply write a letter.
What information do you need to include in the letter? I could imagine that the bank could dismiss the letter because they can't confirm that it was me sending it? (any excuse not to close the card...) Or do I just need the CC number, my full name and my signature?

TIA.

Just ring them up and tell them that you are closing because you are unsatisfied with them charging International Transaction fees on PayPal Australia transactions, unlike with all other banks. There's nothing to argue about, since they won't change that ridiculous policy.
Regards,
Renato

Thanks, I didn't consider the private message option. I've paid it off in full and just sent them a PM.

NAB customer service dont question or try to save credit card cancellation requests, they just process the request.
It gets passed to a retention team who will call you.

I always send a letter when cancelling my card. It is very short. I just give my account number, state the card is no longer required so please cancel. Contact me if you require further information. That's it. Most will accept the letter and cancel. Macquarie were particularly annoying and would only do over the phone.

Why 'shame'? The person on the phone is just following a script (if customer says A, reply with B), they aren't thinking about your feelings, and they don't consider it shameful that you are cancelling, why do you?

Just repeat 'no thank you' - would you be interested in X? No thank you; can I offer you a year of Y? No thank you. Their scripts are very sophisticated and have used lots of data to garner a favourable outcome for them and it works well, unless you completely cut off their power - you give them zero information. You only need 2 sentences: I'd like to cancel my card, please; no thank you

Think of it as a game rather than shame, the game of 'how quickly you can get off the phone'. If you give them zero info, the call can't last more than a minute

I normally close accounts by mail. Just send a letter with your name, address, card number. State that you wish to close the account; give a reason if there's a point you'd like to make (reduction in FF points, etc.)

If you really want to make a point, cut the card into 20 pieces and include that in the letter!!

It's only quite recently that it's even been on my radar to close an account by phone; they send you the card and other things (activation and PIN, etc) by mail, so it always seemed logical to me to close an account by mail. Actually much more secure to do it by mail than by phone.

I'm looking at closing my NAB Platinum card again (second time in a few months) but I'm keen to avoid calling them (I tend to avoid conflict in everything I do...)
I've seen others simply write a letter.
What information do you need to include in the letter? I could imagine that the bank could dismiss the letter because they can't confirm that it was me sending it? (any excuse not to close the card...) Or do I just need the CC number, my full name and my signature?

TIA.

When I closed my NAB CC it was a pain. I tried the PM feature in online banking but got a reply to call them.

Another end of month/statement passed without any closure so I did call and was put through to the "retention" team member who just said "I understand you want to cancel?" and didn't even try any retention tactics. Zero balance so no payout figure required.

After that I lost access to online banking but kept getting "your statement is ready" and "payment due" emails every month.

Called to ask them to desist, and confirmed zero balance but unapologetic about ongoing contact. Five months passed and a customer rep on the phone admitted it's a tactic in case customers want to re-open the account !

I'm always pleased with myself for closing a credit card. I don't understand the shame. The person on the other end doesn't care about you.

I'm another who uses a letter, because it's easy (I have a template and just slot in the address, account number, etc) and painless. Only downside, it can take a week or more for action. I always ask for confirmation and a final statement to be sent. Never had any problems with this method.

There is absolutely no shame. Think of the eye watering profits the banks make.

Not many people are actually reading the OP
the OP is trying to stay away from any form of conflict, some people hate conflict and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Some people thrive on conflict, and some people can be convinced to do something other than what they wanted to.

There is nothing wrong with OP trying to minimise conflict at all. I think it should be made easier for people to cancel credit cards with the click of a button.

Shame is not conflict though. Actually the opposite. If you feel shame then there is no conflict as you've given the other party the 'upper hand'.

Shame is not conflict though. Actually the opposite. If you feel shame then there is no conflict as you've given the other party the 'upper hand'.

The conflict can come from the phone call because the person on the other end is trying to get you to stick with the card, or upsell you into a new card in this case.
This is what I am guessing the OP is trying to avoid.

Thanks for the replies.
Oh I know - most banks are rather evil so I shouldn't be bad about screwing them. I wonder if the retention person, though, has a quota they have to meet or they'll get pressure to lift their game.

An update. NAB responded to my private message stating that they'll pass on my request to the appropriate department and they'll be in contact (didn't specify if they'll call me or send me another PM). I've been sleeping all day (night shift ) and missed a call at 3pm so I suspect that may have been them trying to call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back