how long does amex blacklist you for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxypanda

Amex card was cancelled, gave me 7 working days to fully pay the remaining funds, which i have done, just wondering if anyone knew how long before i could reapply, and if i'd be blacklisted..

Amex card was cancelled, gave me 7 working days to fully pay the remaining funds, which i have done, just wondering if anyone knew how long before i could reapply, and if i'd be blacklisted..
foxypanda,
I have followed the thread from the original post.
If you are after an Amex Card, then maybe the best way is to get one by applying for a Mastercard or Visa card with one of the banks eg.CBA or NAB.
If you get approved for one of these, then they probably will offer you an Amex card with the MC or Visa card.
Good luck.

There is no rule or regulation that Amex must follow. They can create their own rules based on company policy. I would suggest that Amex will never give you a card again. Just don't let it bother you. An Amex such as the Qantas Platinum card (Amex & Visa) is similar to cards that Amex offer (1.5 QFF per dollar spent) so just get one of them. You should be able to apply for a co-branded Amex (eg. NAB, Westpac, CBA) without any problem as it is the bank that does the approval, not Amex.

Try after 5 or 7 years if you like.

Last edited:
You can re-apply as often as you like but they may well have a long time for which they blacklist. Why worry though, just use Visa or Mastercard credit cards or even... not even use credit cards .. Not being able to use AMEX doesn't have any real impact on being able to shop

Have you tried asking American Express when you might be likely to be successful in applying?

Dave

yeah i know it doesn't really affect the way i shop, but i gotta admit i do like the card and its rewards program...i want to apply and get one simply because of the trivial circumstances which the card was taken away from me.

I will call them and ask them though...

Unfortunately there are some rules which should not be broken.

Hopefully they'll "forgive" you after a while.

hahaha
thanks mate...

thank god they still let me used my 70k points though before i cancelled it
got a few hundred bucks back

A friend had an Amex charge card from 1991-1992. Unfortunately she was young and stupid, and her account was declared delinquent. Amex cancelled the card and there was some... Unpleasantness... Until she confessed in a flood of tears, and I lent her the money to pay off her Amex debt. At the time Amex weren't interested in a payment plan - they wanted the lump sum, and NOW!

Fifteen years later, with the events of 1992 feeling like ancient history, and as the sole proprietor of a rather successful business, my friend applied for an Amex card. On the application form she confessed to having been a cardmember, and quoted her account number from all those years ago.

About ten days later, a rejection letter. Since her previous account had been delinquent, and she had therefore violated the terms of the cardmember agreement, it wasn't possible for Amex to approve her application, and it was made clear that future applications would also be unsuccessful.

Amex has a long memory. It would seem that since you have seriously violated the terms of your cardmember agreement, you're probably permanently blacklisted.

Last edited:
Keep in mind with the behaviour that led to your card being cancelled, that this will only be recorded within Amex.

Amex cannot report such behaviour to a credit bureau, therefore the suggestion from one poster of 5 or 7 years does not come into play.

Charge-cards are treated very differently to credit cards - ie your 'limit' increases as your behaviour over time demonstrates you are a responsible customer. Given that you have effectively erroded Amex's trust, your account would have been closed with a method that will indicate it was closed due to a serious breach of your obligations.

Therefore I would suggest just cutting your losses for a period of time and shift your banking to a dual card account from one of the banks if you wish to have a superior earn rate by using an Amex card.

Shouldnt the question be "For how long does Amex blacklist you?"

Keep in mind with the behaviour that led to your card being cancelled, that this will only be recorded within Amex.

Amex cannot report such behaviour to a credit bureau, therefore the suggestion from one poster of 5 or 7 years does not come into play.

Therefore I would suggest just cutting your losses for a period of time and shift your banking to a dual card account from one of the banks if you wish to have a superior earn rate by using an Amex card.

I concur with greenfrog86.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back