Help needed citi plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chianshuin

Intern
I am in Germany now and having problem to withdraw money with my citi plus account. I tried all bank and can't withdraw any money. Anyone know what's wrong and can I do about it. I called citi and my card wasn't blocked. I have withdraw money in nz 3 days ago with no problem. I used same card before in korea, Malaysia, hong kong and all fine. I had good faith and didn't bring any other card except credit card. :(

Have you tried @citibankaus on Twitter? Scream and hopefully they'll follow you so you can DM them.

I have twitted citibankaus but still awaiting response from them! I realized that my citiplus card doesnt have a chip but just magnetic strip. Could this be the reason? Is there any way around it now that I am in Germany. Thanks.

I am curious about the outcome as I'm travelling there at the end of the year. If Citibank Au aren't getting back to you then you are out of luck! Citibank's presence in Germany is only in Frankfurt. I have tweeted on your behalf, maybe they might participate in this thread. RE Twitter / letterboxfrog: @citibankaus Are you aware

I have used my Citibank Visa debit card in various cities just few months ago, from Berlin to some small German country towns. No problem. Used ATMs in Commerzbank & Santander.

I got feedback from Citibank. Twitter / citibankaus: @letterboxfrog Hi Mark, ye

"Hi, yes wr aware, hv bn in contact. Had troubles reaching him on the German # he gave. Thanks for helping out."

Chianshuin - have you had any more success recently? I am keen to know the answer as I am travelling there soon. If the issue is a chip card (or lack thereof) I will be demanding one from Citibank!

If the issue is a chip card (or lack thereof) I will be demanding one from Citibank!

1: Citibank does not have chip debit card, only credit card.

2: Using card without chip in Europe is a problem but not that big a problem. Most places that enforce chip are automatic terminals, like ticket machines in Paris Metro / SNCF. All other EFTPOS terminals know your card is an overseas card and will allow swiping.

1: Citibank does not have chip debit card, only credit card.

2: Using card without chip in Europe is a problem but not that big a problem. Most places that enforce chip are automatic terminals, like ticket machines in Paris Metro / SNCF. All other EFTPOS terminals know your card is an overseas card and will allow swiping.

Citibank still has not called me yet although they stated they have tried. I tried msg on tweeter but has not heard from them.

Just a bit of update
my AUS citibank debit card doesnt has chip - it is literally rejected on all German ATMs. It showed up a msg "ur card is not authorized on this machine" ( I tried in frankfurt, berlin, wurzburg, heidelberg, dresden, bamberg etc)

i then tried to used my malaysia citibank debit card which has a chip on it and this works fine.

I think more or less the problem is with the chip.
I can use my select card fine which has a chip on it. and the 4 digits pins work here fine.

If anyone one knows the way to overcome come aus citibank card issue (eg. any particular atm with exact location in germany which will accept my card) as I still has no much money left in Malaysia account and hold all my money in my AUS citiplus account.

my AUS citibank debit card doesnt has chip - it is literally rejected on all German ATMs. It showed up a msg "ur card is not authorized on this machine" ( I tried in frankfurt, berlin, wurzburg, heidelberg, dresden, bamberg etc)

I think more or less the problem is with the chip.

I can tell you it is NOT the chip for sure. As I said before, I used my Citibank Visa debit card, which does NOT have chip, in Germany in January this year (4 months ago).

I have used ATMs from Santander & Commerzbank. I used it in Berlin, Dresden, Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

If anyone one knows the way to overcome come aus citibank card issue (eg. any particular atm with exact location in germany which will accept my card) as I still has no much money left in Malaysia account and hold all my money in my AUS citiplus account.

Not specific to the Citi card but from experience throughout Europe I know that I have encountered problems with "regional" banks but then went & found "national" banks & had no problems- perhaps that is what is happenin to you

Doesn't really help OP, but I can also confirm that my Citibank Visa debit card (linked to Citi Plus account) with no chip has worked fine for me consistently over the last 4 years in Germany. Mrs AN*G has relatives there, and often travels there for work, and is in Germany probably 4-6 times a year, and since we switched to Citibank 4 years ago, have not had issues withdrawing cash from German ATMs.

I had a similar problem as the OP in Dubai a few years ago using CBA card.
Fortunately , Mrs Max had her card and we were able to withdraw money. So what happened?

I was using CHQ and should have been using SAVINGS when entering my data in the ATM.

Could OP have a similar problem?

I just had a look at my Citibank Plus card. Have you found the Visa Plus logo on the ATMs you are using? Plus (interbank network) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. From my reading, Visa Plus may not be as strong in Germany as Australia, hence RB's comments about "national" vs "regional" banks would certainly hold true.

Thanks for all your comments.
Just update with my situation.

I am still in Germany and unable to withdraw money from my citibank plus card.
I called several time to citibank and all they can say is the is no problem with my card and I have got sufficient fund in my account and thus the problem should be the ATM.

I really dun know if this is an isolated case on my card whether my card is faulty ( but I just used my card in NZ abt 1 week ago). As I have a tried >20 times on different ATM. All of them have VISA plus logo. I just tried yesterday at Commerz bank and Deustsche Bank in Cologne and both machines stated " ur card is not authorized on this machine". As citibank and some of you has insisted it is not the chip causing the problem. I guess the only way to test out whether my card is faulty would be to try the card out at next destination which is either Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia, then I will report back how I go.

Having no freedom to withdraw money does make me feel restricted. But luckily I was able to pay for hotel and certain purchase using my citi select card does certainly helped me get through my trip.

Thanks for all your comments.
Just update with my situation.

I am still in Germany and unable to withdraw money from my citibank plus card.
I called several time to citibank and all they can say is the is no problem with my card and I have got sufficient fund in my account and thus the problem should be the ATM.

I really dun know if this is an isolated case on my card whether my card is faulty ( but I just used my card in NZ abt 1 week ago). As I have a tried >20 times on different ATM. All of them have VISA plus logo. I just tried yesterday at Commerz bank and Deustsche Bank in Cologne and both machines stated " ur card is not authorized on this machine". As citibank and some of you has insisted it is not the chip causing the problem. I guess the only way to test out whether my card is faulty would be to try the card out at next destination which is either Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia, then I will report back how I go.

Having no freedom to withdraw money does make me feel restricted. But luckily I was able to pay for hotel and certain purchase using my citi select card does certainly helped me get through my trip.

Have you tried pressing different options at the ATM when selecting your account?

As someone else has mentioned, I remember in Spain I couldn't quite work out which button to push - have you tried pressing 'Credit' when at the ATM in Germany?

I certainly believe Citi debit card has some bugs, I'm not able to link my card to paypal account, not sure if anyone here has the same problem.

I certainly believe Citi debit card has some bugs, I'm not able to link my card to paypal account, not sure if anyone here has the same problem.

you mean Citi Visa Debit right? A debit card will obviously not be able to be linked to PayPal.

you mean Citi Visa Debit right? A debit card will obviously not be able to be linked to PayPal.

Forgot to update here, I later on linked my Citi debit card to the paypal, don't know why did not work at first, but everything looks OK now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back