Help me pick the right card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReLoad

Established Member
Hi Credit card gurus! lil' help please :)

So for a long time i was on the old EDR WW mastercard and was happy as a clam. then they capped etc. so ditched it.
The got a citi siganture card and was also happy as a clam and now it is being capped.

So where to now? I have quite a bit of Qantas spend approx 100k PA (airfares etc) plus about 10k on average each month worth of normal purchases which gets auto paid each month. No ATO transactions.

Whats everyones advice, im not really a churner/burner of cards, so just want a good one(s) to maximise what i use as is.

thanks in advance credit card gurus!

If you are a tenacious person the Qantas Credit Union cc application will test you. I love this card as it is uncapped and a point per dollar.
There is a bonus for Qantas payments and often a sign on offer of free Qantas points.

I moved my WW EDR spend to QCU for the uncapped 1:1 rate. As noted, the application process can be a little arduous as they are thorough. But all my interactions with QCU staff have been extremely positive and friendly. In fact, I am in the process of moving more of my banking to QCU as a result of my positive experience with them.

ANZ Black FF? I think there is still a promotion going for 75K QFF points and no annual fee for the first year, its uncapped though it will be dropping points earn for ATO late Feb 2016, but this won't affect you per your post.

I won't be paying the fee next year, at over $400/yr its laughably high given the average benefits, but for the earn/$ it'll fit the bill for a year.

If you want only one card and you want to earn QFF points I'd pick either the QFF ANZ Black or the QSCU cards (the Macquarie Black would be 3rd choice).

If you are happy with multiple cards, then you'd be hard pressed to go past some the AMEX offerings, especially if you are FF agnostic (also good if you are wedded to QFF).

Based on your QF spend consider the Amex Ultimate card. The steep annual membership is offset by the free flight and insurances. 3 points per $ on QF flights will see your points balance increase faster.

I am using ANZ QFF as it is currently free for the first year. Afterwards, it would default to my fee-free CBA Diamond.

Any AMEX refusal would be solved with an xx_xssss card.

We are running with QCUcc, Amex Ultimate ,Citi Prestige QF version , ANZ Black and Bankwest World cc for Qantas points for the two of us. I have one more card coming.
All of these cards bring benefits so you do have to think about what suits your circumstances rather than anyone else's circumstances.

Hi Credit card gurus! lil' help please :)

So for a long time i was on the old EDR WW mastercard and was happy as a clam. then they capped etc. so ditched it.
The got a citi siganture card and was also happy as a clam and now it is being capped.

So where to now? I have quite a bit of Qantas spend approx 100k PA (airfares etc) plus about 10k on average each month worth of normal purchases which gets auto paid each month. No ATO transactions.

Whats everyones advice, im not really a churner/burner of cards, so just want a good one(s) to maximise what i use as is.

thanks in advance credit card gurus!

Regarding your 100k QF spend, are you using the voucher method to avoid domestic and outbound international booking fees?

Last edited:
Voucher method does not cover taxes and fuel charges right?
Amex edge has had fantastic customer service, free first year and free flight....how much of QCU card again?

QCUcc at 195 gets me back to 1 point per dollar on everything and I did get the sign on bonus. It reminds me of HSBC and the WOWcc before they "enhanced that card".

No one can provide you with perfect advise without knowing your precise financial circumstances. Check the various threads to see what's on offer. You'll see the +'s and -'s of each of the cards.

I've just applied for the Macquarie offering.

You'll most likely have to learn to churn cards as there's no benefit in loyalty.

Last edited:
Except Dr Ralph for the Westpac Platinum Kris Flyer cc which some folks churned and it got withdrawn for new applicants.
That was a lesson from the ATO thread.

I'm still not clear....can you buy QF vouchers via amex and use them to pay for tax and charges from rewards redemption or only when you buy a normal ticket that includes taxes and charges?

I'm still not clear....can you buy QF vouchers via amex and use them to pay for tax and charges from rewards redemption or only when you buy a normal ticket that includes taxes and charges?
Voucher won't work on award flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back