"Have I Gone Raving Mad?" or MEL-NTL in Y+ with DJ/VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyHancock

The Prologue

"I just need to sort dates out so I can book flights" I wrote tersely in my email. It really was all I needed because once they were locked in I could book my first DJ/VA flight for over 6 years. (It would be only the second time I had booked a flight with DJ) There would be no going back I would be flying DJ/VA whatever impediments were placed before me. :eek:

So how did this desperation to fly DJ/VA come to be? I have been a QF chap through and through, a member since 1999, a WP for six years and a recent LTG. I weathered the appalling customer service and cramped lounges during 2001/2002 when the QF focus seemed to be on capturing the former AN faithful, and I have put up with the erosion and dilution of benefits. My tolerance has been governed by necessity, a necessity to avoid flying long haul Y and Y+, and my QF strategy was delivering for me.

QF's intransigence has left me cold towards the brand. Changing the goalposts mid year, failing to respond to complaints and the inability to provide published benefits leads me to believe that QF really doesn't place any value on customer service. As bad as all of this sounds even these failings have not driven me to try DJ/VA. Not even the abysmal "teaser" Platinum One announcement, which has left me frustrated and annoyed, could push me over the edge. :-|

It is the positive nature of the DJ/VA approach that has encouraged me to try them. I have watched the DJ reps interact on here over the last year and wondered "Why can't QF do that?", I have seen quick responses and improvements made as a result of feedback. The relaunched Velocity program, lounge facelifts, meetings with AFFer's and then the status match offer have all combined to give me a very positive view of VA/DJ.

I applied for the status match, and why wouldn't I, and notice some comments from DJ FF's expressing concerns about this process. They had, after all, done the hard miles to get status. I waited for the stock business spin from DJ....but it didn't come. Instead the rep expressed sympathy, stated that DJ/VA had thought long and hard about it, but ultimately they had to get customers on board. "My God" was I seeing honesty? :shock: These guys seemed to be telling it as it is. That was the real tipping point for me. I thought "yep, I'm going to give them a go!" :)

So that is where I am, I now have my dates and as a somewhat world weary flyer I'm genuinely excited at the prospect of my trip. I really don't know why......and another thing that is odd, I actually feel that VA/DJ can make mistakes and I won't care. It is a strange feeling. For those Poms, of a certain age, out there, it is a bit like going into the M&S Food hall in the 1980's and finding them out of stock of prawn & mayonnaise sandwiches. It was never the fault of M&S it was always my fault for getting there too late. :shock:

As is the norm, my trip isn't for a couple of weeks, but I'd like to make a few comparisons between my VA/DJ experiences and my QF experiences in both the build up and the trip. Number one on the list is schedule!! QF don't fly MEL-NTL, so a bit of a winner for DJ/VA here!

........next up The Online Booking

Last edited:
The Booking

Dates in hand I raced off the the VA/DJ website. The process was easy enough, no easier or harder than QF. Within a few seconds the options were presented to me. Oh :shock: Unfortunately flight timings were not so good.....although significantly better than QF with no direct flights on the MEL-NTL route. this was the first point since I made the decision to fly DJ/VA that I stumbled....but only for a second. The alternative was Jetstar! :shock:

So where was I? Ah yes booking the flight. I opted for the direct flight from MEL leaving at 11:55 and arriving at NTL at 13:25. It was OK but not ideal. I'd make sure I got an hour or so in the lounge prior to the flight.

Coming back was a problem the direct flight was too early so my only real option was to head to BNE and then MEL, leaving at 18:00 and eventually getting me to MEL at 22:20. There were two views I could take on this; firstly I could go back to Jetstar and moan about VA/DJ's timing, or secondly I could take it as an opportunity to experience a bit more of what VA/DJ has to offer. I might squeeze a few minutes in at the BNE lounge to have a look around. I chose the latter, after all getting to NTL with QF involved flying via BNE anyway.

What fare though? Saver, Flexi or Premium? What the hell I'll go for the premium. It came in at $299 each way. I now understand why Jetstar changed it's pricing, QF points earning and fare structure, it had nothing to do with feedback from FF's, it was a commercial decision based on exactly this scenario. My two previous Jetstar experiences, MEL-NTL-MEL, prior to the change, were $690 each, to give me flexibility, SC's and a seat at the front.

As I went to book it gave me the option to log into my Velocity account, I like that, and took me to the Guest details and travel extras page, I ignored Carbon Offset and Car Hire, and clicked continue, moving on the payment and contact details page. Rather foolishly I went straight to the bottom of the page and entered my Amex number and details and clicked pay now. In my haste to book I hadn't noticed that the insurance option defaulted to yes, and failed to notice that I was paying $12.95 for something I didn't want. It is, of course, my own fault, but I think this should default to no. There will be a few folk who get caught out like this. Am I going to ring up and get a refund...actually I can't be bothered so no.

On the same page are details of the carry on allowance, with a link to further details:

"What’s allowed

You may take, included in your fare, baggage weighing up to 7 kg on board with you, which might consist of:

• One carry-on bag that must not exceed height 34 cm × length 48 cm × depth 23 cm or
  • Two briefcases, or
  • Two small bags, or
  • One briefcase/small bag and one suit pack/garment bag (60 cm × 114 cm × 11 cm)
  • The total of each combination must not exceed 7kg"

In addition to the cabin baggage allowance, one of the following personal items may be carried in the cabin:

• Laptop computer*, a handbag, pocketbook or purse
  • An overcoat, wrap or blanket
  • An umbrella or walking stick
  • A small camera or pair of binoculars
  • A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight
  • A pair of crutches or prosthetic devices for your use, provided that you are dependant on them for mobility
  • Knitting and Crochet needles
  • Pointed metal nail files and nail clippers
  • Disposable razors
  • Small Electrical Appliances (Hair Straighteners/Irons and Hair Dryers)
*Laptops in a thin satchel style laptop bag are considered to be a personal item. Laptops in larger laptop bags are counted as part of your carry-on allowance."

OK this is a concern for me. I'm used to carrying a 105 cm bag and a small back pack. It seems the back pack may not be allowed as an extra. Does anyone have experience of this? There is no doubt that this would be a big negative for me if it was enforced.

All in all the booking experience was fine. I'm still looking forward to the travel now...but that is a couple of weeks off!!

The Expectation

If I were to carry out a little research and check the web page I access most, other than AFF of course, it is the QF site. I currently have six return trips, including five MEL-LHR in the system stretching out to June 2012. Each one has been planned in advance to maximise comfort, SC and points earn. My seat selection has been completed well in advance for each leg, and where there is a domestic connection I select the best seat I am able to and then check 80 and 24 hours prior to travel to try to secure a bulkhead seat. With my BA flights i use the BA "Manage My Booking" page.

So it was off to the Manage my Booking page on the velocityrewards site. As simongr pointed out in his trip report there is no option to select your seat. From others' posts on AFF I understand that this is scheduled to be implemented in November. This is something I certainly like with QF and would want if I was to switch a fair bit of travel to VA/DJ. Other than that the "Manage My Booking" page was just fine. The QF layout is familiar to me so at first the VA/DJ layout looked a little odd, but I'll soon get used to it.

I had no idea what to expect in DJ/VA domestic Y+ so I hopped onto to the website to check it out. The seat pitch at 34" is good, and the Luke Mangan menu looks just fine for my needs, nothing too fancy. The IFE isn't something I even use on long haul with QF, although the live Foxtel, I think, is an interesting concept, if it is available on any of my scheduled flights I'll be taking a look at it. :) (I understand that DJ/VA is still rolling out some of it's offerings so will not be disappointed if all is not exactly as advertised.

So 48 hours into my booking I'm looking forward to my trip, but there are three things that concern me, and one is pretty much a deal breaker.

Please change default to no for insurance! :-|
I really would like to see seat selection at time of booking. (Due in November? :))
Carry On at only 7Kg and tighter restrictions on size than QF is a real deal breaker for me. :(

In my experience, they do enforce the cabin bag limit (and it can be a problem - one of my biggest points of hesitation with Virgin).

I had an issue out of ROK a few weeks ago where I was told I had to check my domestic cabin sized bag and there was no way I could take it on. It does meet the cabin bag size limits, I think it was about 7.5kg however there was no desire to assist in allowing me to carry it on. For the record, I was in Y+ and I'm DJ Gold (this was just before DJ Platinum existed). I put up a mild protest, however stopped short of DYKWIA given I was in no real hurry at the other end. I know it was technically correct... however it seemed like an overkill and given Y+ generally has only 1 or 2 pax out of ROK, it left me feeling a little annoyed. I've observed the same at the premium checkin in SYD, the last example was a rather dignified looking lady who was forced to throw her dirty undies around while repacking her bag at the desk. Finally the bag came down to 7.4kg... however the agent still insisted it was too heavy. I can only hope these mentalities are the last elements of the LCC days refusing to die. But please, kill them off soon!

I kinda find the carry on limit ok and have had no problems. My main bag (105cm) would be about 8 to 8.5 kg. But being an AirBoss, may be it looks small. I also have what I call a satchel with my laptop and/or ipad, with about 4 kg of stuff in it, magazines and such. I normally carry 4x work shirts, 5x smalls, one pair trousers, 1x set of casual clothes, CPAP, 2x leftover meals ~0.7 kg. Plus the computer/ipad, 4x magazines and some work stuff in my "satchel".

Took me a while, couple of months, to re-pack this way, plus purchasing a bag or 2. I would suggest trying to be spot on with your 105cm bag, in terms of size/weight and put the heavy stuff in the "satchel".

The Lounge

Actually couple of things need to be reported before we get to the lounge. Firstly seat selection has been sorted, as reported last week, so I was able to log on and select 1D for my flight. I have been remiss in my research, I have no idea if 1D will be any good or not. I do love a learning curve!!

The second thing on relatively minor note is online check in duly completed 24 hours prior to departure. The Velocity/Virgin websites are still a little clunky but hardly enough for me to whinge about. :)

So to The Lounge! Well nearly! My day had an unusual start, at exactly 24 hours since my previous traffic laden journey on the Monash Freeway I found myself heading to MEL at a brisk pace, pretty much without delay. I knew this would be a good day! :shock:

It has been a long time since I have been in the VA/DJ terminal at MEL. The check in area appeared a little chaotic....much like the QF one. Nothing wrong I think it is just my general impression of airport check in areas, lots of folk moving in different directions. I'm reminded that I really don't like airports.

The first unusual thing is that I won't be clearing security before entering The Lounge. I'm easily confused!! So..down the escalator to what I can only describe as a mezzanine level. I see the signs for The Lounge and lo it is there before me. The entrance is quite impressive. The thing that struck me as I handed over my boarding pass is just how light The Lounge is. It benefits from having a fair window frontage on to the tarmac. (I'm sure there is a technical term I'm missing there!!:p) Since simongr mentioned it in his report I found it quite noticeable that I was being addressed by my forename rather than the traditional Mr Hancock, and actually I don't mind that. It makes it a little more personal and gives a little differentiation for DJ/VA.

My timing was at the end of breakfast so there were still plenty of pancakes, toast and cereals to be had. I opted for a barista made cappacino which was very nice.

The second thing that struck me was the emptiness. I think there could only have been 30 people there at most.

MEL-Lounge.jpg

I like the layout with the workspaces with power points....but would like to see a few more power points in the main areas. My preference is to sit in a comfortable seat with my laptop...well....on my lap!! I did find a very comfortable place to sit with a power point and in reality the lack of power points in the main areas is no different to the QP or J lounge. It was quite relaxing looking over the airport.

The internet worked, easy connection decent speed. It does make me wonder why it is so hard for QF to get this right. (Perhaps number of users is the issue??)

The food selections were on a par with the QP, and in truth I really don't care for the hot selection in the QF J Lounges, so this works for me.

All in all The Lounge at MEL is a very pleasant place to spend an hour before a flight. I'm probably going to be controversial, but I prefer it over the QP/J Lounge in MEL. :shock: Perhaps it is because it is a new experience, perhaps it is because it was so empty compared to the QF lounges.

To go a little off topic I have struggled with my packing and it is going to be hard to travel for a week on the VA/DJ cabin baggage allowance. Here is my effort though:

Luggage.jpg

To sum up, so far so good.

The Flight.....first one anyway

....and so the moment of truth is here. The Flight!

Actually security first. Thank God none of you lot were behind me in the security queue! My new fangled man bag and 105 cm rollaboard combo left me flustered. Normally phones, pens, coins etc go into the front pocket of my backpack...but I didn't have one....and yes I left a phone in my top pocket. :oops: As I traipsed back through security I could picture the faces of the more experienced AFFers!!!!!

I have typed the priority boarding paragraph below in white, so if you are the sort of media and communications professional who doesn't like my whinging and protestations about priority boarding you can't see it unless you highlight it. :p (No need for a dislike butting now!!! :p)

Place cursor here and click and drag if you want to read about priority boarding.
Priority boarding is, as many of you know, one of my big bugbears with QF, so trying the DJ/VA offering was something I was looking forward too. I just wanted to see and experience how it works and what difficulties it causes. It was all an anti climax really. The flight was called and I stood like a stunned rabbit in the headlights. Where was the scrum? My normal experience is a mad rush to the gate with QF. It was almost as if the DJ/VA passenger doesn't understand that they need to charge at the gate. Surely this isn't the norm? I was a little sheepish heading up the priority lane and being "processed first." I completely failed to test the process because I was first on the plane. I have no idea what was going on at the gate. Mmmmm isn't that what priority boarding is about? I'd say it was an unqualified success! Big tick for VA/DJ
OK let go now!

The first thing that struck me as I boarded is that QF had copied the "workspace" between A and C, and D and F, on their A330's in domestic service. The second thing that struck me was the LCD screen on the bulkhead with a credit card swipe facility. :shock: I know that everything is changing and the aircraft are being gradually refitted but I couldn't stop laughing and giggling to myself. (Not at VA/DJ it is that scene so recently recollected here on AFF from Come Fly With Me that was in my mind....would I have to swipe and pay for my life jacket!!)

As I took my jacket off the CSM appeared and asked if I wanted him to take care of it. mmmm impressive I thought....until he stuffed it into the overhead locker. :D (Makes mental note to never travel with the Hugo Boss jacket!!!!!!!)

I saw no sign of the giggly, "fun" style I have read so much about. the crew was as professional as I have experienced on any QF flight. The Luke Mangen New Yorker sandwich was surprising tasty and was washed down with a Pepsi Max. No request for money!!!!

I'm quite impressed with the Live to Air TV offering. (No I didn't need to swipe my card!)

IFE.jpg

Plenty of legroom and no one sitting in 1F made for a comfortable flight. (Y+ only had a total of five people in it and nobody moved up take the spare seats.)

Again it is a thumbs up for DJ/VA. Is the offering better than QF for a similar flight? It's a draw for me.....apart from the thing I can't mention. (In white up above!!:p )

So far it has been a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
The Flights - NTL-MEL the long way.

With business concluded, arguably almost successfully, it was time for my VA/DJ experience part two.

NTL is, how can I describe it?...ah yes...unpleasant. I know I can't expect a lot for a small regional airport...but it doesn't stop me. My original choices were the 17:55 JQ direct flight to MEL or the 6:00 PM journey via BNE with VA/DJ. The latter seemed like a good idea in my bid to try out my new found matched platinum status. :shock:

At check in I was greeted by first name and told that as a WP and a Y+ ticket holder I could board first. :) I did choose to board first and enjoyed getting to the overhead lockers first. Seat 1D on the Embraer 190 was fine. I was "welcomed back" as I boarded and greeted as "Mr Hancock". :?: After take off the CSM offered Y+ pax a video player but no one took up the offer. The flight left on time and arrived 15 mins early. :) The crew were friendly and professional. OK the seats on the E190 are of course economy but for a 55 min flight they were comfortable enough for me.

The early arrival into BNE gave me an opportunity to have 30 mins in the The Lounge. DJ/VA certainly do the greeting stuff very well. Once again I was made to feel welcome and smiles all around on the staff. As I walked into The Lounge the first thing that hit me was the size. It seemed tiny.....and crowded. The feeling of space and light I had experienced in MEL was not to be seen. I did a lap and saw the Barista still working, (it was 6:00 PM), the food offering, on a par with the QP, and the bar. It was OK, but didn't impress me as much as MEL. Upon finding a seat I did think to myself that I was being a little harsh the QP and J lounges at BNE are "OK" too..nothing more. The wifi was excellent given the number of computers to be seen.

I left the lounge just before my flight was called and arrived at the gate ready to experience priority boarding. Once again my expectations were met. It worked a treat. I was in 1C and knew that I needed to get on early because there was no stowage in the lockers above rows 1 and 2, A and C. :shock:

We were a little late leaving as the ground crew came on a couple of times trying to find out if several passengers were on board or not. The Luke Mangen New Yorker Sandwich was my choice from the menu, again, and it was both tasty and filling. Once again the crew were friendly and professional. Seat 1C does not have an IFE screen and I didn't ask the crew about it. (I use my iPad) My preference would be for 1D from what I have experienced.

An on time arrival into a wet MEL meant that I was three for three, on this trip, for on time performance!:)

The Epilogue

So I have completed my first DJ/VA trip as a status matched WP. I have been impressed enough with what I have seen to say that VA/DJ is a viable alternative for me. :)

The issue for me now is loyalty. I am awaiting the QF WP1 announcement and details of "upgrades" for WP's. If WP1 is attainable, and offers genuine value I'll have a go for it. If not I will angle for 2400 SC's with QF and try to maintain WP with DJ/VA.

I think QF does have to think about those WP's who hit 1200 SC's and don't get to 2400. There has to be some better incentives to keep that WP level flying QF. Then there is the 2400+ SC's a year WP that does not make WP1, what incentive will there be for him/her to keep flying QF after hitting 2400?

Without the status match I would have been unlikely to try DJ/VA, and I will definitely be flying them again over the next 11 months. Thanks DJ/VA for the match and keep up the good work! :)

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I wonder how many people on walking into the BNE lounge miss the large area to the right of the desk, the wall certainly makes the area look smaller than it is.

Thanks for the report. I'm keeping a close eye on DJ myself.

I feel, overall, pretty well satisfied with QF, the few gripes I have seem to be in line with your own. However, there are so many places QF don't seem to go and JQ becomes the apparent QF preferred option but this doesn't impress me at all, thus, DJ, looms ready to take my business for those routes.

Reports like yours are going to take some of the fear out of flying DJ for me as I'm not at all interested in putting myself through a LCC ordeal.

I wonder how many people on walking into the BNE lounge miss the large area to the right of the desk, the wall certainly makes the area look smaller than it is.

:shock: Area to the right? :oops: I'll be one that missed that!!! I just walked up to the desk and turned left!!!

:shock: Area to the right? :oops: I'll be one that missed that!!! I just walked up to the desk and turned left!!!

I didn't even think there as something there. I'll have to look next time I'm there.

I think it happens a lot!

IMG144.jpg

IMG145.jpg

I have typed the priority boarding paragraph below in white, so if you are the sort of media and communications professional who doesn't like my whinging and protestations about priority boarding you can't see it unless you highlight it. :p (No need for a dislike butting now!!! :p)
Smartarse! ;)

I didn't realise it went right around the corner... but it makes sense, the old lounge was much larger and now I see where the rest of it went!

Cool looking chairs. Haven't noticed them around the "bar" side (where I tend to plant myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back