Finally closed my AMEX account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM1748

Ah, felt like I needed to tell someone.

Finally closed my AMEX account which was more simple than I thought it would be. Got sick of AMEX doing their regular credit checks even though my account is always in order, which prompted a question from my credit union when I was arranging finance on an investment property.

Phoned, managed to speak to someone who sounded like they had the Australian drawl, answered the security questions, when asked why I was closing it I was put on hold, and I thought they are going to come back and offer something to try and change my mind. Well they tried but failed.

I feel better now.

Matt
PS trying to get down to a single cc provider. I think I'll target my citi card next :mrgreen:

Access to your credit file is noted only for your information and for Veda's, this information is not available to credit providers. For example, Amex monitor my file monthly, HSBC monthly and Citi every 3 months. These accesses are marked as a 'periodic credit review.' None of these providers would be aware that the other is also checking however it is recorded. I can see this access on my report.

There is also a 'newish' section of your Veda file that lists existing credit relationships, not just applications ie actual live credit accounts. Amex (both in their own right and DJ storecard) are the only providers that list on my file in this section. Is this actually the prompt for the question from your credit union?

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy life Amex free!

Last edited:
It's a great feeling to close a credit card !

Congrats!

It is surprisingly good, when I looked I realised I had a Diners, Amex, Mastercard and two Visa cards and wondered why I couldn't make do with say one or two considering I usually use my debit visa anyway. :D

I need to cut down on my cards but I use several of them for balance transfers and sign up bonus points etc...

Having 1 credit card is not enough, you really need an Amex and then two others from different banks

On a recent overseas trip I had my Westpac SQ cards pumped and ready for action, on the first day I arrived I received a call from Westpac with fraudulent activity on one of the cards, and they had suspended my cards... I could get a replacement in 48 hours, but as I was moving around so much I wasn't in the one location long enough to receive the card.

So I had to use my standard Amex card and my Commbank Visa, with a lesser point earn :(

Lesson - Always have more than 1 card... Through different banks/institutions

On a recent overseas trip I had my Westpac SQ cards pumped and ready for action, on the first day I arrived I received a call from Westpac with fraudulent activity on one of the cards, and they had suspended my cards... I could get a replacement in 48 hours, but as I was moving around so much I wasn't in the one location long enough to receive the card.

Mine took me a week to arrive and I had fraud on my west pac cards 3x!!!
Thats's true about having backup cards.

I'd given up my DC card and ANZ visa gold card. Some 21 years back. No regrets.

Agreed 100%

I always keep two credit cards from two different institutions with me at all times. When I'm travelling I also have a third that goes in the hotel safe.

That way I'm covered if there's a fraud incident and my card gets blocked (has happened and more likely when travelling), if my wallet is stolen (hasn't happened to me yet) or if my primary institution's processing facilities are offline (this has happened - I was trying to pay for lunch and got a decline on my NAB issued AMEX, Visa and finally debit card. Fortunately I had my backup card with me).

Agreed 100%

I always keep two credit cards from two different institutions with me at all times. When I'm travelling I also have a third that goes in the hotel safe.

Good policy. I almost got bitten last year due to only having one credit card with me: was on a month-long trip to Vietnam and friggen Citibank decided to block the card for suspected fraud one day into the trip, despite the fact that I let them know in advance that I'd be using the card in Vietnam!

The second card ("Alternate Card"?) you can ask Amex to issue in the primary cardholder's name for some of their card products is very useful for this too.

Try to keep some flexibility.....I misplaced my Woolies EDRCC. I have had to replace two Westpac CCs due to suspected fraud.
I am doing fine with Amex points earn so I am happy with them.

Try to keep some flexibility.....I misplaced my Woolies EDRCC. I have had to replace two Westpac CCs due to suspected fraud.
I am doing fine with Amex points earn so I am happy with them.

Amex is very quick to call if they suspect fraudulent transactions.

Yes I appreciate avoiding frauds so that is the call you need.

At least with Amex they can issue you a temporary replacement card so you can keep spending, unlike the Australian banks that at best might courier you a new card if you're extremely desperate. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge you the courier fee too...

Another good tip here is to have Skype setup - I have an Amex International Euro card and they blocked it in Amsterdam despite me telling them every country I was going to and when (I think it was because I used it in Germany and Amsterdam on the same day - newsflash... its possible to fly between countries in one day). Called them up and they unblocked the card on the spot - would have been an expensive exercise if I wasn't able to use Skype over wifi.

At least with Amex they can issue you a temporary replacement card so you can keep spending, unlike the Australian banks that at best might courier you a new card if you're extremely desperate. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge you the courier fee too...

My parents were in Asia and one lost a platinum charge card. Amex arranged a temp card from KL which was picked up at the local Amex office after 3 business days. No charge. Excellent service.

Yes I appreciate avoiding frauds so that is the call you need.
I appreciate the call from Amex, but global roaming fees sting you hard when overseas. I always ring the companies before hand to avoid any blocks on the cc. But I agree you need at least two cards, once bitten twice shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back