Extending referral cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any luck trying to request an increase on their referral cap?

The cap per year is 200,000 bonus points earned from referrals.

But Amex just hit me up with an offer for 100k bonus points per referral (to platinum). So I can only invite 2 of my friends. However I’ve ran into a dilemma because more than 2 want to join. If they do then I won’t be credited any further bonus.

I called them to ask about increasing it but it went to Manila call center and they just said it wasn’t possible because of the terms and conditions.

Anyone else had any luck getting an increased cap?

If you have no luck getting the cap extended and don't want the referral points to go to waste, please consider giving one of your friends my referral link 😁

If you have no luck getting the cap extended and don't want the referral points to go to waste, please consider giving one of your friends my referral link 😁

I might have taken you up on that, though sadly that deal has now expired. Looks like both of our links no longer work!

However a new one popped up in my account today...

For them: 200k points + $500 statement credit

For me: 45k points + 3 extra points on my card for 3 months (capped at 100k spend).

I've never seen the 3 extra points offer before. And it seems to clash with "referral cap" part of the term and conditions which states a maximum of 200k bonus points earned from referrals in each year.

On just 1 referral that would be 45,000 + 300,000 points if I put all 100k spend through my card.

Perhaps the 3 extra points does not count for the referral cap?

Last edited:
Yep I've got the same

I think you are correct, the 3 points per dollar might not count to the referral cap.

Yep I've got the same

I think you are correct, the 3 points per dollar might not count to the referral cap.

Interesting. If that's correct then I wonder if I can still qualify for it (even though the 45k points would be forfeited) 🤔

Exact T&C are here - doesn't seem to cover it. But I think this would be treated like the Shop Small promotion, separately to referral cap.

3 extra points for 3 months

If you successfully refer a friend by 14 July 2021 and your friend is approved by 30 July 2021, you will receive an additional three points per eligible dollar spent on your Card account up to $100,000 in purchases for three months starting from the 25 August 2021 to the 25 November 2021. Purchases may fall outside of the offer period in some cases and therefore not qualify for the offer such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the official purchase date differs from the date you made the purchase. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible to participate in this offer, but you will earn 3 additional Membership Rewards points per dollar on qualifying purchases made by any Additional Card Members on your account. The following do NOT count as purchases and will not qualify for this offer: fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of traveler’s checks and foreign currencies.

What's not clear to me is whether you can refer multiple people and earn an additional 3 points per dollar from each referral. T&C suggest that's the case.

Also just a note that the new referral deal is 150k in the first year and 50k in the second year for whoever you are referring, which is a pretty big drop from the previous 300k in first year deal.

Exact T&C are here - doesn't seem to cover it. But I think this would be treated like the Shop Small promotion, separately to referral cap.

What's not clear to me is whether you can refer multiple people and earn an additional 3 points per dollar from each referral. T&C suggest that's the case.

Also just a note that the new referral deal is 150k in the first year and 50k in the second year for whoever you are referring, which is a pretty big drop from the previous 300k in first year deal.

Yes that part about multiple referrals and earning additional 3 points on them is not clear at all. I'm thinking it might not be stackable, but we would have to confirm with support.

As for the new referral deal - it does seem less appealing for those wanting to sign up. However there's also a $500 statement credit on top so it's not too bad if you only value the extra 100k points at 0.005

I wonder if the new refferal 3ppd bonus stacks with the current 3ppd shop small promotion. That could be lucrative...

I wonder if the new refferal 3ppd bonus stacks with the current 3ppd shop small promotion. That could be lucrative...

Yes as far as I can see it should stack for 8.25 points combined (assuming you're using platinum charge).

I just got a qualified referral under the new program. The 45,000 bonus points still credited to my account even though I'm over the 200k cap. And I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the 3ppd referral bonus starting Aug 25th.

Great thing to wake up to. It's going to be a good 3 months 🤑

Here's a screenshot of the bonuses. All for referrals to Platinum Charge from the same account.

@sudoer - thought you might like to see this. Have you ever seen points still crediting even after exceeding the cap?

It's possible that any "extra" points above the standard referral rate might not count towards the 200k cap. Either that or it's just not enforced.

1622948920419.png

Here's a screenshot of the bonuses. All for referrals to Platinum Charge from the same account.

@sudoer - thought you might like to see this. Have you ever seen points still crediting even after exceeding the cap?
I have been caught by this before multiple times. They definitely enforce the cap unless unless the referral promotion specifically states otherwise. This has happened a few times i recall when for 1 month of the year they have boosted the referrals higher than normal and stated that any done during that specific month would not count towards the annual cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back