Etihad Chaning earn structure | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Etihad Chaning earn structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarrod Black

Hi guys,

Just received an email from Virgin stating that the earn structure will be changing on the 1st of June 2012.

So my flight Mel - Abu dhabi - Moscow has gone from earning 120 SC's + 9500 FF points down to 60SC's & 4750 points.

If I had of know this would be the case I would have made sure I booked the higer fare class to ensure i received the full amount of points!!

To say I'm a little bit annoyed would be an understatement...

Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situating as myself? And if anyone knows when they changed this rule?

Cheers,

Jarrod

Last edited:

brha01

Intern
Flights
My Map
Interesting...glad i saw this now!! Was just about to book a JNB-AUH-LHR-AUH-BOM-AUH-SIN on EY in the next 1-2 days. EK is roughly the same on price but I had settled on EY for the velocity earn. Looks like I will be booking EK!

EDIT- What does Virgin Australia have to say about this (assuming they are looking at this thread)? Surely this is bordering on false advertising if a fare was booked based on the info advertised at the time only to subsequently be changed before the date of travel??

crumpet

Intern
I'd say its long overdue; their fares have reaped a higher earn rate for a long time now and I suspect Virgin are hoping to level the playing field. I'm surprised it's taken this long, actually.

lovestotravel

Well I would say today it's been announced, hence the email

It's also now listed on the website

Points Earn with Airline Partners | Velocity Frequent Flyer

New structure Etihad Points Earn Revised Structure| Velocity Frequent Flyer

It does seem they are getting VERY pedantic! 1.3 points ? 1.8 points ?

Discount Economy (E, U, V, L, Q, M, K)
0.5 Velocity Points​
Economy Class (H, B, Y)
1 Velocity Point​
Discount Business Class (W, D)
1.3 Velocity Points​
Business Class (C, J)
1.75 Velocity Points​
Discount First Class (R)
1.8 Velocity Points​
First Class (F, A)
2.5 Velocity Points​

lovestotravel

Interesting...glad i saw this now!! Was just about to book a JNB-AUH-LHR-AUH-BOM-AUH-SIN on EY in the next 1-2 days. EK is roughly the same on price but I had settled on EY for the velocity earn. Looks like I will be booking EK!
Depends what value you place on EK miles !

I'd prefer Velocity points personally and to fly EY

Jarrod Black

Agreed, I booked this flight back in January because of the earn rates, I didnt expect them to move the goal posts so to speak.

I just called Etihad to upgrade the fare and they want an extra $1100 to go up one fare class! I'll be interested to hear what Virgin have to say also.

Last edited:

lovestotravel

Agreed, I booked this flight back in January because of the earn rates, I didnt expect them to move to goal posts so to speak.

I just called Etihad to upgrade the fare and they want an extra $1100 to go up one fare class! I'll be interested to hear what Virgin have to say also.
While I understand your frustration you need to remember the T&C's

"Terms and Conditions Earn rates are correct as at 15 December 2011 and are subject to change"

Given they are giving you over 30 days notice, it's acceptable, but annoying!

pmdg7444

Re: Etihad Changing earn structure

Hi guys,

Just received an email from Virgin stating that the earn structure will be changing on the 1st of June 2012.

So my flight Mel - Abu dhabi - Moscow has gone from earning 120 SC's + 9500 FF points down to 60SC's & 4750 points.

If I had of know this would be the case I would have made sure I booked the higer fare class to ensure i received the full amount of points!!

Jarrod

There doesn't seem to be a change in amount of SCs earn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.......

Jarrod Black

^^ For Etihad Airways flights flown on or after 1 June 2012, E, U, V, L, Q, M and K fare classes will accrue Status Credits at Discount Economy rates.

This is at the end of the Status Credit earn table
[h=3][/h]

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map

Grrr.
Had been looking at a 15 June flight as part of my program to renew Plat.
Maybe I go on SQ instead.

MarkD

Established Member
AFF Supporter

Grrr.
Had been looking at a 15 June flight as part of my program to renew Plat.
Maybe I go on SQ instead.
Expect more of the same over there, they will be screwing everything down now..... Did somebody say enhancement?

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map

Looking at Singapore - the cheap Super Deals and Sweet Deals don't appear to earn anything...

haydensydney

Established Member
Flights
My Map

Yes I wasn't jumping for joy when I saw this on the email... mind you, it was only a matter of time before a correction would come along. One could get gold on a Europe trip in discounted J which is really the only reason why I'm gold at the moment (most of my trips are paid with points, so hardly get an opportunity to get status). Bummer!

Mind you, I wasn't over the moon with Etihad so they weren't high on my wish list - now, even less so. It may be better for everyone to fly on VA to Abu Dhabi and then fly on EY to Europe...

Established Member
Flights
My Map

The changes with Virgin follow on from the fact that Etihad announced similar changes in their own program a month or two back.

It does remove the anomaly (in a lot of cases) that booking the EY code earned more points and SCs than the same fare on the VA code. That always struck me as odd.

jlm

So it used to be that if you booked direct with EY as opposed to through the VA website, you earned a higher rate of SC?

If that's the case, I was naive to it and I can pass off this 'enhancement' as not affecting me. :p

Established Member
Flights
My Map
So it used to be that if you booked direct with EY as opposed to through the VA website, you earned a higher rate of SC?

If that's the case, I was naive to it and I can pass off this 'enhancement' as not affecting me. :p
Pretty much all economy fares on EY earned the same points and SCs at full economy rate. Whereas booking via VA earned at a variety of rates depending on whether it was full economy, discount economy or whatever.

Formal Hall

Flights
My Map
However, discount economy fares still earn full 'tier miles' on Etihad, rather than 50%, so those who were earning most of their VA SCs on etihad may now be better crediting to Etihad, where 25,000 miles will earn you etihad lounge access (but not Virgin lounge access).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukaussie