Earning points with Western Union money transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slodki

Intern
Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out a way obtaining some FF points cheaply - and thought of this recently.

Transfer money through Western Union to a family member, or even yourself and redeposit the money back into the card. Rinse and repeat.

Having looked at the fees, it may not be that bad. From memory it costs a flat $20 to send a payment within Aus. Be it $1,000 or even $10,000 (i think). If you are registered online with your credit card, it is a simple process of sending payments. Note that initially the card will be limited, until you do a few transfers where they will begin to increase your sending limit. Currently I am at a $10K limit.

How will Western Union or the ATO for that matter look at this? Technically I'm not doing anything illegal (from ATO perspective), and the money trail can be followed the whole way. Just wondering if you could send yourself a few $10K transfers over a few months period to obtain points at a decent price?

What does everyone think?

If transaction treated as a Cash advance payments then you earn no points..

I've sent money before, and it counts as 'purchases'. Anyone have any ideas? While it is no strategy like the recently closed Mint program that was going on for a few years in the USA, it could be helpful to 'top' up points relatively cheaply.

Cheers

well if u getting points then just send money to yourself Aust to Aust $2000 only 25fee.
so u get 2025 points for just $25 that pretty good points cheap.

I've sent money before, and it counts as 'purchases'. Anyone have any ideas? While it is no strategy like the recently closed Mint program that was going on for a few years in the USA, it could be helpful to 'top' up points relatively cheaply.

Cheers

The currency exchange is terrible. They are offering 0.996US for every Australian dollar plus a $70 transfer fee for $1000. You lose around 3% excluding the transfer fee.
If I sent the money to the Philippines it would be a 2% loss in conversion rate plus a $28 transfer fee on $1000.

Much better to pay for more using your Amex/Visa/Mastercard and get points that way.

Arrange a dinner party each week at a frequent flyer bonus point restaurant and get everyone to put in cash and you pay the bill by credit card :) Pay your tax by credit card.

Am sorry to report that this system aint gonna fly IMHO - well not with Citi anyway.

Registered online with WU with business address - registered Cruiserette with diff surname at home address.

Tried transferring 2K with CitiBusiness Gold to her WKFPVC - transaction would not complete.

Called WU - they say must call Citi and ask Citi set up authorisation code for this card to enable transaction.

OK so I do this - Citi say NO cannot do this - is considered cash advance and not permitted.

BUMMER - was seeing 10K weekly transfers to and from Cruiserette which would see me flying further farther faster

Am sorry to report that this system aint gonna fly IMHO - well not with Citi anyway.

Registered online with WU with business address - registered Cruiserette with diff surname at home address.

Tried transferring 2K with CitiBusiness Gold to her WKFPVC - transaction would not complete.

Called WU - they say must call Citi and ask Citi set up authorisation code for this card to enable transaction.

OK so I do this - Citi say NO cannot do this - is considered cash advance and not permitted.

BUMMER - was seeing 10K weekly transfers to and from Cruiserette which would see me flying further farther faster

lol

have you tried sending to a different person or from a different card?

lol

have you tried sending to a different person or from a different card?
Actually no I haven't - only interested in KF points so I have not tried one of the QF linked cards.

Back to the defrauding board - er sorry - drawing board.

Thanks for your post. I was hoping this would not be the case. When I used my CBA card for sending money it was fine and treated as a purchase. I was planning on doing exactly what you are saying. Money transfers to and from each other - would actually work out with quite cheap J tickets.

How long ago did you try doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back