DJ MR - ever any Hilton transfer bonus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock86

Established Member
Hi all,

I have a small amount of DJ MR points from a referral in my account which I couldn't get to SPG in time, which is now not even worth doing. I don't have any points in the number of airline transfer partners as I just churn QF cards, so transferring the minimal amount of points to an airline partner would have little benefit for me.

So Hilton looks like it will get the transfer for the pure fact is I am going to stay at hotels and it will either offset some cost or I will get a free night somewhere, which leads me to the questions, do they often have a transfer bonus to Hilton for DJ MR?

If they do I'd probably wait a month or two to see if a bonus come about as the card really has no effect on my ability to churn others, but if they don't I'll just transfer to Hilton then cancel the card and be done with it to start my 18 month probation with AMEX.

Granted, I don't know very many people :) , but you are literally the first person I have come across who wants to transfer AmEx points to Hilton. I wonder what you mean by "...I couldn't get to SPG in time"? Also, why "is now not even worth doing"?? Considering how bad transfer rate from AmEx DJ to airlines are, I reckon transferring to SPG is one of the best uses of the points. Why not transfer to SPG and then on to one of a whole raft of airlines SPG points can be transferred to?

Also, have you compared points required for stays at Hilton versus SPG (now Marriott)? This might give you a better indication of where the optimum destination for your points could be.

Granted, I don't know very many people :) , but you are literally the first person I have come across who wants to transfer AmEx points to Hilton. I wonder what you mean by "...I couldn't get to SPG in time"? Also, why "is now not even worth doing"?? Considering how bad transfer rate from AmEx DJ to airlines are, I reckon transferring to SPG is one of the best uses of the points. Why not transfer to SPG and then on to one of a whole raft of airlines SPG points can be transferred to?

Also, have you compared points required for stays at Hilton versus SPG (now Marriott)? This might give you a better indication of where the optimum destination for your points could be.

With current devaluation not worthwhile transferring from MR to the airlines as opposed to transferring directly.

With current devaluation not worthwhile transferring from MR to the airlines as opposed to transferring directly.

I closed my DJ card a few weeks ago, so please excuse my ignorance, but could you please expand on "transferring from MR to the airlines as opposed to transferring directly"? AmEx DJ had always had a terrible transfer rates to airlines (2:1 to VA, etc), but until very recently had the same transfer rate to SPG as most other AmEx cards (2:1). Is this not the case anymore?

The transfer to Marriott(SPG) is now effectively 1:0.66, this used to be 1:1.5 before the merger. So not even worth considering transferring to Marriott for stays or then through to airlines, you'd be better just transferring to an airline direct.

Hence the reason I'm asking whether there's usually any Hilton bonus transfers offered.

The transfer to Marriott(SPG) is now effectively 1:0.66, this used to be 1:1.5 before the merger. So not even worth considering transferring to Marriott and then airlines, you'd be better just transferring to an airline direct.

Hence the reason I'm asking whether there's usually any Hilton nous transfers offered.

I see; I have not kept up to date since the change over a couple of weeks ago...

I closed my DJ card a few weeks ago, so please excuse my ignorance, but could you please expand on "transferring from MR to the airlines as opposed to transferring directly"? AmEx DJ had always had a terrible transfer rates to airlines (2:1 to VA, etc), but until very recently had the same transfer rate to SPG as most other AmEx cards (2:1). Is this not the case anymore?
Yes all amex cards have same transfer rate to Marriott Rewards ( which has recently been devalued) and which is now worse than 2:1 rate for transferring to airlines.

Hi all,

I have a small amount of DJ MR points from a referral in my account which I couldn't get to SPG in time, which is now not even worth doing. I don't have any points in the number of airline transfer partners as I just churn QF cards, so transferring the minimal amount of points to an airline partner would have little benefit for me.

So Hilton looks like it will get the transfer for the pure fact is I am going to stay at hotels and it will either offset some cost or I will get a free night somewhere, which leads me to the questions, do they often have a transfer bonus to Hilton for DJ MR?

If they do I'd probably wait a month or two to see if a bonus come about as the card really has no effect on my ability to churn others, but if they don't I'll just transfer to Hilton then cancel the card and be done with it to start my 18 month probation with AMEX.

If you are not carrying lots of miles from any of airlines, then I would recommend you to redeem the points to DJ gift cards, at least it gives you 7 cents for every 100 points, then cancel the card afterwards.

If you are not carrying lots of miles from any of airlines, then I would recommend you to redeem the points to DJ gift cards, at least it gives you 7 cents for every 100 points, then cancel the card afterwards.

That is actually a good point. I think I will probably take that option. Thanks.

I find I can get around 1-1.5cents per pt with Hilton Honors hotel bookings. Just redeem 5 nights and pay for 4.
While its true that on face value, DJ gift card redemption rate is around .75cents per point, usually you can buy DJ cards at 10% off so that brings it down to .6cents per point.
I only have 13k DJ pts left now so no biggy for me.

I find I can get around 1-1.5cents per pt with Hilton Honors hotel bookings. Just redeem 5 nights and pay for 4.
While its true that on face value, DJ gift card redemption rate is around .75cents per point, usually you can buy DJ cards at 10% off so that brings it down to .6cents per point.
I only have 13k DJ pts left now so no biggy for me.

I've also only got 40K DJ Amex, so would be lucky to get 1 Hilton night let alone 4 :)

There was an Amex 50% bonus to Hilton earlier this year which I took advantage of. It’s not as good as my last redemption with Citi with 100% bonus before the credit card apocalypse but it helped make sense to use valuable MR points.

I’ve been an Amex member for ages and this was the first time I noticed this bonus promo (might not have noticed previously as Hilton wasn’t on my radar previously). I hope they do it again.

Last edited:
There was an Amex 50% bonus to Hilton earlier this year which I took advantage of. It’s not as good as my last redemption with Citi with 100% bonus before the credit card apocalypse but it helped make sense to use valuable MR.
Wow I missed this. So it was 1000MR :1500HH?

The bonus was posted by Hilton some time later so had to intitially make a points and pay booking which I then changed once the points hit.

Just by coincidence, got the email below just now - looks like there's another offer on for September:
upload_2018-9-1_9-17-18.png

takes 8 weeks to receive bonus & appears to be a targeted offer.

do you think the amex gods reads this ? I just received the attached today. Too bad the targeted card isn't my DJs one..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 9.16.09 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 9.16.09 am.png
    767.6 KB · Views: 4
It might appear they are listening. Will make Hilton more attractive for MR redemptions post the Marriott devaluation. Almost sorry I transferred so much out to SPG before the gates were closed as I have a higher status with Hilton than Marriott & Hilton have generally provided better perks. My targeted card is my Explorer - although all my cards pool into Ascent Premium with my Platinum Charge card. Transferred from the one account earlier this year and got the bonus. Hoping it's the same case this time.

This was targeted to my Explorer card too and also linked to another card. I wonder if that means we can't get the bonus?
anyhow i needed this to be targeted to my DJs amex :(
*nudge nudge amex gods

Yep, no DJ Card, oh well. If I had normal MR points though, it isn't too bad of an offer for particular Hilton redemption's (no matter what those over at ozbargain say).

For me, pointy end flight redemptions are the best value use of MR but you’ve got to stay somewhere when you get to your destination so hotel rewards have a place for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back